ILB Prospets for the '22 NFL Draft

armsteeld

I'm not a fan of our current starting ILBs. I'm still holding hope for ole Buddy Johnson. Here are some guys I'd like the Steelers to take a hard look at for the draft:

Brandon Smith-powerful. Super fast (4.38). Ran down Ohio State WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba. Plays downhill. Very aggressive taking on blocks. Plays Slot. Perfect fit for team.

Quay Walker-fast flowing aggressive downhill ILB. Big and takes on blocks well. He was used as a sledgehammer to disrupt opposing OL. Good blitzer. Moves well in space.

Channing Tindall-Excellent blitzer. Takes good angles taking on bigger OL. Moves well in space. Very explosive. Sideline to sideline player. Split time with Quay & Dean.

Damone Clarke-fast flowing ILB. Plays sideline to sideline. Solid in pass pro. Attacks downhill. I question his toughness and his ability to take on and get off blocks.

Zakoby McLain-very physical fast flowing LB. Plays nasty. Big hitter. Plays on Slots and moves well in space. Can he play inside and get off blocks well?

Ellis Brooks-Very physical fast flowing ILB. Takes on blocks well. Diagnoses and goes downhill at 100 mph. MF' stud.

Mike Rose-big fast flowing LB. Can he play inside? Is he physical enough getting off blocks? He plays really good in space covering Slots and TEs. He's about 6'4 250.

Jack Campbell-big ILB who flows well. Takes great angles to ball and is a great run stuffer. Similar to Bernardrick McKinney. Excellent fit for the Steelers.

Darien Butler-Heat seeking missile. Fast. Sideline to sideline. Blitzer. Covers well. Ability to shed blocks is my only question.

Feel free to share your thoughts on these players and guys that you're interested in.

Terrel Bernard-this guy will be a star. Fast. Physical. Blitzer. Cover guy. Takes on blocks. I just wish he weighed about 235. He's listed at 225.

Darrian Beavers-big flowing LB who plays ala Dante Hightower. I think he'd be an excellent fit with the Steelers.

Merlin Robertson-big physical LB who plays a lil too upright. Can he play in the middle? I need more info.

Tyshon Fogg-fast flowing LB who can sideline to sideline. I need more info on him.

Chance Campbell-fast flowing LB who comes downhill at 100 mph. I love how he plays the game.

Justyn Rice-fast flowing LB who can play sideline to sideline but I'm concerned about him holding up between the tackles. 

• Like 1

You left out

Devin Lloyd. Utah #1 LB prospect on most boards.  Smart.  A bit stiff in movements.  More of a Foote than a Farrior so may not be a 3 down player in the NFL.

Nakobie Dean Georgia - A bit undersized.  a Farrior type LB

Henry To’o To’o Bama - Farrior type.  Perhaps my favorite of the group.  3 down LB who plays well vs the pass.  Leader. Excellent tackler

Christian Harris Bama - Farrior type.  Excels in pass coverage.  Very good LB.

DeMarvion Overshown Texas - Farrior type.  Very light.  Former safety. NEEDS DTs taking up olinemen

Chad Muma Wyoming - Foote type.  in the box LB.  2 down LB in NFL

*Farrior type - uses quickness and angles to flow around blocks and to gaps.  Generally need a stout DT

*Foote Type- More of a buck LB that can take on blocks.  Not the best 3 down Lbs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

You left out

Devin Lloyd. Utah #1 LB prospect on most boards.  Smart.  A bit stiff in movements.  More of a Foote than a Farrior so may not be a 3 down player in the NFL.

Henry To’o To’o Bama - Farrior type.  Perhaps my favorite of the group.  3 down LB who plays well vs the pass.  Leader. Excellent tackler

DeMarvion Overshown Texas - Farrior type.  Very light.  Former safety. NEEDS DTs taking up olinemen

*Farrior type - uses quickness and angles to flow around blocks and to gaps.  Generally need a stout DT

*Foote Type- More of a buck LB that can take on blocks.  Not the best 3 down Lbs.

I feel Lloyd and Dean may be gone or high first round guys. Harris is tentative at times, To'o To'o lacks awareness to me, Overshown isn't a LB and is similar to Allen, Muma is someone I haven't watched yet.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:56 AM, jebrick said:

You left out

I leke Jebricks list way better. I cant really wrap myself around Lloyd. I would be pretty excited about a Muma (I think Muma would be fine in coverage)/ To'o To'o combo. 

Another guy I dont see listed in either list is a very instinctive Micah McFadden from, Indiana. Not sure about his coverage speed, but like Vince Williams instincts makes up for a lot. Many of the first list prospects have a lot of questions. Brandon Smith reminds me of a former famous USC safety in Taylor Mays ( a lot of athletic ability, makes a lot of big hits) his game would've benefitted from staying in school. Ellis Brooks not as athletic but expected him to be more consistent, aware and instinctual than his play reflected this year. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

On 12/23/2021 at 9:34 AM, armsteeld said:

I'm still holding hope for ole Buddy Johnson.

I'm still banging the table on if it's this bad at the ILB position he can't be worse right?  Guess he's just been that bad in practice where he's not even seen as an option.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wish he was playing today. He’d be in line for a significant amount of snaps on D. 

The only conclusion I can come to is he's been terrible in practices and they aren't giving him a hat.  But I dunno how you can look at the play on sunday and say it's all good to keep him without a hat.

B.Smith out of Penn State is an incredible athlete, but is projected (from what I've seen) as an outside 4-3 LB.
D.Lloyd is a stud. So is C.Harris.

I read incredible things about Beavers as a 'modern, multi-front' LB. He's built more like an OLB.

Be interesting if the Steelers decide the OL they want isn't there in one, if D.Lloyd becomes an option.
I think C.Harris is more RD 2.

I still think of our first four picks it's 2xOL (inside and out) and 1xDL (I like P.Mathis and D.Watts) and then either ILB or CB.

2 hours ago, mwalker said:

B.Smith out of Penn State is an incredible athlete, but is projected (from what I've seen) as an outside 4-3 LB.

I read incredible things about Beavers as a 'modern, multi-front' LB. He's built more like an OLB.

Be interesting if the Steelers decide the OL they want isn't there in one, if D.Lloyd becomes an option.

I still think of our first four picks it's 2xOL (inside and out) and 1xDL (I like P.Mathis and D.Watts) and then either ILB or CB.

Curtis Jacobs coming behind Smith and Brooks is already showing to be a better/ more instinctual backer. Smith, like I said in my earlier post, is the Taylor Mays like guy that catches everybody's eye with his big hits and stature, but down to down he somewhat lets you down. Could evolve, but needs more discipline in his play. Would've like to see him stay. Expected Brooks arrow to continue to rise but he leveled off and rather than looking like the goto smart guy inside, he started looking sloppy and out of place when it mattered down the stretch. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I leke Jebricks list way better. I cant really wrap myself around Lloyd. I would be pretty excited about a Muma (I think Muma would be fine in coverage)/ To'o To'o combo. 

Another guy I dont see listed in either list is a very instinctive Micah McFadden from, Indiana. Not sure about his coverage speed, but like Vince Williams instincts makes up for a lot. Many of the first list prospects have a lot of questions. Brandon Smith reminds me of a former famous USC safety in Taylor Mays ( a lot of athletic ability, makes a lot of big hits) his game would've benefitted from staying in school. Ellis Brooks not as athletic but expected him to be more consistent, aware and instinctual than his play reflected this year. 

JPN!

would you sign R.Evans ? Titans declined the 5th year for him, so since we missed him in the draft, maybe now is the time?

9 hours ago, mwalker said:

If they are trying to replace Shazier, then B. Smith is their best option( in this draft).  To'o To'o would not be dynamic but would be steady and able to read plays and cover.