LA Rams: General Thread

MDY10

Been very quiet since the draft and we made two moves that  I actually really love.

Both guys are high upside. Tyler Johnson I loved coming out of college and Robinson has shown flashes.  Love the WR depth chart this year if both stick.

Kupp

Van Jefferson

Tutu Atwell

Tyler Johnson

Demarcus Robinson

Puka Nacua

**Skowronek would reclassify on the roster as a TE/FB, but did not forget him.

McCutcheon could use another year on the PS squad, plus always injuries. Van Jefferson will be gone next year in FA. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Been very quiet since the draft and we made two moves that  I actually really love.

Both guys are high upside. Tyler Johnson I loved coming out of college and Robinson has shown flashes.  Love the WR depth chart this year if both stick.

Kupp

Van Jefferson

Tutu Atwell

Tyler Johnson

Demarcus Robinson

Puka Nacua

**Skowronek would reclassify on the roster as a TE/FB, but did not forget him.

McCutcheon could use another year on the PS squad, plus always injuries. Van Jefferson will be gone next year in FA. 

I like the moves as well. That’s really solid depth at worst. One of the 2 can definitely turn some heads. Feels weird not going after players like DHop anymore lol 

I understand our cap situation but I’m surprised Mcvay hasn’t added a RB outside of the draft. I don’t know what kind of money Dalvin will get, but that’d be the closest thing we had to TG since TG imo. Not very realistic though, I know. 

My brain is still so used to big splash moves… Chase young would be another unrealistic move I’d like. Plenty of good FAs out there still too. 

9 hours ago, MDY10 said:

I like the moves as well. That’s really solid depth at worst. One of the 2 can definitely turn some heads. Feels weird not going after players like DHop anymore lol 

I understand our cap situation but I’m surprised Mcvay hasn’t added a RB outside of the draft. I don’t know what kind of money Dalvin will get, but that’d be the closest thing we had to TG since TG imo. Not very realistic though, I know. 

My brain is still so used to big splash moves… Chase young would be another unrealistic move I’d like. Plenty of good FAs out there still too. 

This is the only splash move I would think is a possibility because of how young he is and it's one of the key positions they will spend on (CB,QB, OLB, OT)

Depends on what the original plan was and how would Young fit into that. I'd give up a 2nd round pick for him next year, but unsure if it would be enough. 

4 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

This is the only splash move I would think is a possibility because of how young he is and it's one of the key positions they will spend on (CB,QB, OLB, OT)

Depends on what the original plan was and how would Young fit into that. I'd give up a 2nd round pick for him next year, but unsure if it would be enough. 

I’m in the same boat. Definitely not a 1st. Not with his injuries and inconsistency. I thought he was a guaranteed star when he was drafted but simply has not lived up to the hype. Reminds me a little of Clowney. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This page is dead!

We have our first uphill battle since 2017. Stafford is healthy for the first time heading into a season in a while. The O-line is healthy and improved. The division feels weak( Purdy? Lance? Darnold?) and we have some young guys on defense that will go through growing pains, but should show promise.

Give me three predictions: 1. Unrealistic Upside 2. Realistic Upside 3. Realistic Downside for next season.

Unrealistic Upside: Stafford has an MVP caliber season. 5000 yards passing 35+ TDs

Realistic Upside: Cam Akers is fully recovered from Achilles injury and has first career 1000 yard season.

Realistic Downside: The defense is bottom 10 in the league

On 6/21/2023 at 7:21 AM, BStanRamFan said:

We have our first uphill battle since 2017. Stafford is healthy for the first time heading into a season in a while. The O-line is healthy and improved. The division feels weak( Purdy? Lance? Darnold?) and we have some young guys on defense that will go through growing pains, but should show promise.

I think there’s a consensus that it’s 1. Niners 2. Seattle 3. Rams 4. Cardinals

Hard to disagree for me. Seahawks if anything could be better than the niners but it’s at least debatable. The health of Stafford is concerning. The fact that they’re looking into Cousins could be an issue. If it’s true obviously. That said, if he’s good to go and can give us one more strong year then I think this offense has a sneaky potential to be very good. A very good offense still would only make this an average team though.. this defense has a chance to be dead last. Im excited for some of the young guys and to still have AD, but it could be a brutal year defensively. Not having Jalen will be interesting. Curious to see if Raheem changes anything at all. 

On 6/21/2023 at 7:21 AM, BStanRamFan said:

Give me three predictions: 1. Unrealistic Upside 2. Realistic Upside 3. Realistic Downside for next season.

Unrealistic upside - Offensive line holds up and is top 10 so this offense can take off and carry us to a wildcard victory. 

realistic upside - Cooper Kupp shows everyone that he’s still that guy. I guess the same goes for AD. Just have to see who else can step up. 

Realistic downside - Agreed with you on a bottom 10 defense. I’m excited to see some the rookies and excited to see who stands out in the secondary though. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Going to share tweets about camp as I find them.

Very curious to see what Puka turns into. Obviously curious about all picks but this one seems to be one of the most likely to actually pan out. 

14 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

New vet with Sony retiring 

Mehhh I wanted Zeke or Kareem Hunt.

With the RB market in flux and potential to trade for big named guys, JT now being added to that list, we're really seeing the Rams hold firm on their strategy.

Pretty sure we were linked to Saquon a year ago. Everything I'm seeing from sportsnbooks indicates how bad we will be. We have the 3rd best odds to have the #1 overall pick next year. We are behind Carolina and Washington in terms of odds to win the NFC.

Could it be the story of the year to have a competitive season or do the books know more than we do? 

53 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Mehhh I wanted Zeke or Kareem Hunt.

With the RB market in flux and potential to trade for big named guys, JT now being added to that list, we're really seeing the Rams hold firm on their strategy.

Pretty sure we were linked to Saquon a year ago. Everything I'm seeing from sportsnbooks indicates how bad we will be. We have the 3rd best odds to have the #1 overall pick next year. We are behind Carolina and Washington in terms of odds to win the NFC.

Could it be the story of the year to have a competitive season or do the books know more than we do? 

They're not going to spend that kind of money imo no matter how small it ends up being. There are bigger needs they would address. McVay seems happy with the bulked up Akers and add to that there's talk of next year's draft class being very solid.

21 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

They're not going to spend that kind of money imo no matter how small it ends up being. There are bigger needs they would address. McVay seems happy with the bulked up Akers and add to that there's talk of next year's draft class being very solid.

Every RB class has starters in it ( as we are seeing) so I'm not concerned about that part. I like what I'm seeing with Akers adding weight, but his best football has always been November onward for some reason. Kyren is a 3DB and I am excited to see what we have in Zach Evans, but wanted to get more of a 1-2 punch with Akers and X. Freeman doesnt come off as that X.

Having a running game will only help Stafford this season and with his health long term. Shocked we didnt kick the tires on someone a little more impactful than Royce Freeman

6 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Every RB class has starters in it ( as we are seeing) so I'm not concerned about that part. I like what I'm seeing with Akers adding weight, but his best football has always been November onward for some reason. Kyren is a 3DB and I am excited to see what we have in Zach Evans, but wanted to get more of a 1-2 punch with Akers and X. Freeman doesnt come off as that X.

Having a running game will only help Stafford this season and with his health long term. Shocked we didnt kick the tires on someone a little more impactful than Royce Freeman

Freeman's a - likely - camp body who already has experience in a zone system and, IIRC, in a offensive system similar to the one McVay runs.  The #3/4 RB spot on this team has almost always been in a state of flux, and sometimes the guy that gets brought in midseason moves himself further up the depth chart as the youth of the corps succeed or fail at things like pass-blocking, catch-consistency, and so forth.

With the new structure of how cuts go down in the offseason (I'm pretty sure they're just requiring one big cut to trim the roster down to the 51+9, I think Les could be hedging his bets to have someone largely expendable who could be upgraded upon if an unexpected cut happens because another team's rookie or 2nd-year runner shows out with flying colors in the preseason.  All-be-he not without his own injury concerns, if Eric Gray or James Robinson show out for the Giants, Matt Brieda could be a camp-casualty.  I have serious doubts that the Niners would cut Tyrion Davis-Price, but last I knew Jordan Mason finished last season ahead of him on the depth chart... and that was for the #3 spot behind McCaffrey and Elijah Mitchell.