Week 15 2021 - GDT - Dolphins (7-7) @ Saints (7-7)

Mid Iowa

This has all the makings of an interesting, borderline great Monday night game.

The Dolphins, who started 1-6, are on a winning streak, piling up 6 in a row, and are the 2nd hottest team in the league behind the KC Chiefs. They seem to have found their groove, and will be hungry for more on Monday when they enter the Blacked Out Dome. The 'Fins are on the Playoff Bubble and are only a few wins behind the Bengals, Colts, Chargers, and Bill, all 8-6. So they're effectively playing for their playoff lives.

The Saints, also on the bubble at 7-7, and behind only the Vikings and Eagles, both 7-7. Our Saints, who recently lost 5 straight, are showing some life, but continue to get popped by one bug or another. Covid or injury, you take your pick. That said, there's hope. The Vikings play the Rams (10-4) and the Eagles play the Giants (4-10), both at home. I can see the Vikings falling, and the Eagles soaring, but anything is possible, right?

The Covid and Injury report has 11 new players out for this weekend, including our 2 most familiar - as of late - QB's, Taysom Hill and Trevor Siemian. We'll also be without Malcom Jenkins, DT Christian Ringo, TE Adam Troutman, and WR Juwan Johnson, all due to Covid.

That leaves us with Ian Book. We haven't seen Book since pre season, so none of us really know what the heck to expect. Frankly, our passing game only has 1 way to go, and that's up. However, placing a Rookie QB behind a line that has been decimated by injury, and now 1 more (Jordan Mills) out with covid, is generally not a recipe for success, unless you're Kurt Warner and have 3 stud receivers, a good O-line, and oh yeah, Marshall Faulk. Well, we have Kamara, and that's about it.

The Dolphins are middle of the road in Defense, so hopefully we can establish some sort of running game this week. Enough to take the pressure off the passing game would sure be nice. I'm confident that our D can slow their offense down, so if we eliminate their big plays, we stand a chance. If not.... it could be a long night.

End of the day, I'm looking forward to seeing if Ian Book is a stud or a dud, and hopefully we can remain in playoff contention. 

This smells like a loss waiting to happen.  Our defense has stifled guys like Brady and Rodgers, but have gotten eaten alive by guys like Jalen Hurts and Daniel Jones.

Ian Book can't be a worse passer than Hill, but he's a rookie, behind an injured oline and throwing to practice squad receivers.  We'll see how it goes.  We really can't afford any more losses if we want to make the playoffs, as we lose tiebreakers to Vikings and Eagles. 

Honestly don't know who our linebackers are. Can only think of Werner who I'm sure is mediocre especially since he's a rookie off ball linebacker. This is gonna be a nostalgic throwback to the majority of the Sean Payton era where this team didn't have a commanding presence in the middle of the defense.

Edit: and just because I have to take another shot at the guy, at least Anzalone won't be starting in place of anyone today!

Edited by Fray32
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fray32 said:

Honestly don't know who our linebackers are. Can only think of Werner who I'm sure is mediocre especially since he's a rookie off ball linebacker. This is gonna be a nostalgic throwback to the majority of the Sean Payton era where this team didn't have a commanding presence in the middle of the defense.

Edit: and just because I have to take another shot at the guy, at least Anzalone won't be starting in place of anyone today!

We could give Scott Shanle a call, see if he wants to come out of retirement.

• Like 1