Is this season a win for David Culley?

notthatbluestuff

4 hours ago, Chargers said:

Culley is very much underrated. We may have been without half our starters but he out coached Staley all game. Mills is also a ton better than most give him credit for. Texans may not have a ton of stars but once those roll in via F.A and the stockpile draft picks they have. This will be team watch out for next season. 

Oh, I think people are using that one game (against a team that - dare I say - might not be that good to begin with) and really extrapolating against an entire seasons' worth of bad coaching decisions, open mutiny in the locker room and a general state of dysfunction.

The Texans have the biggest dead cap in the league next season (and that's not considering the $35mm cap hit for Deshaun Watson, who isn't going to play for the Texans) and only six draft picks (because  of ill advised trades such as Anthony Miller and Ryan Lindley, guys who didn't even make it to the halfway point). They only have roughly 23 players under contract for '22 so they need to rebuild this roster AGAIN, with no cap or picks to rely on AGAIN.

I'd wager that 4 wins is probably the case again in 2022. Maybe a win against a relatively good opponent to elicit threads like this again, I don't know.

45 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Hey now - is it really such an overreaction to think that Culley has even marginally exceeded the dismally apocalyptic expectations of pure doom that we had in August? 

USATSI_17021399.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Yes - because it's ignoring the lack of discipline, abnormal amount of mental errors and penalties, poor clock management, poor situational decision making that David Culley and the Texans have demonstrated over the course of the entire season (yes, including this game).

Don't miss the forest because of the trees here - David Culley has made significant errors over the course of the season in game, has really bludgeoned the relationship between players and management and has had a hand in decisions that impact this team for the future (Justin Reid is leaving specifically because of Culley).

None of you guys listened to me when I said Bill O'Brien was a bad HC back in 2018... could you PLEASE listen to me now?

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yes - because it's ignoring the lack of discipline, abnormal amount of mental errors and penalties, poor clock management, poor situational decision making that David Culley and the Texans have demonstrated over the course of the entire season (yes, including this game).

Don't miss the forest because of the trees here - David Culley has made significant errors over the course of the season in game, has really bludgeoned the relationship between players and management and has had a hand in decisions that impact this team for the future (Justin Reid is leaving specifically because of Culley).

None of you guys listened to me when I said Bill O'Brien was a bad HC back in 2018... could you PLEASE listen to me now?

(I'm a Colts fan, OF COURSE I want Culley to stay.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

We had to endure YEARS of those guys. Andrew Luck will be a footnote in football history because of the beating he took with Grigson's roster.

You will suffer as I have suffered. 

I just got out from SEVEN years of Bill O'Brien - the same guy who traded away 34 picks for a LT, then traded away a top 5 WR for the slowest, most fragile, highest paid RB in the division (a division that includes James Robinson, Jonathan Taylor and Derrick Henry, mind you).

I have a QB who doesn't want to be here... and can't be traded because he's facing 23 counts of sexual misconduct.

I have a VP of Football Operations... who doesn't know anything about football.

I have an owner who is commonly referred to as "Tommy Boy" by both the media... and his own employees.

I've suffered PLENTY. I'll take Jim Isray with a bag full of Oxy, the Andrew Luck saga, trading a 1st for Trent Richardson and drafting some dude named Bjorn over this... literally every single time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I just got out from SEVEN years of Bill O'Brien - the same guy who traded away 34 picks for a LT, then traded away a top 5 WR for the highest paid RB in the division (a division that includes James Robinson, Jonathan Taylor and Derrick Henry, mind you). I have a QB who doesn't want to be here and can't be traded because he's facing 23 counts of sexual misconduct. I have a VP of Football Operations who doesn't know anything about football. I have an owner who is commonly referred to as "Tommy Boy".

I've suffered PLENTY. I'll take the Andrew Luck saga, trading a 1st for Trent Richardson and drafting some dude named Bjorn over this... literally every single time.

You had a decade of JJ Watt, a first ballot Hall of Famer. Now it's Culley time!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, raidersedge said:

I still think if Matt Eberflus tells Nick Caserio he's ready, he'll be the Texans new head coach. 

I could see that, but I also think Eberflus knows that he's answering to Easterby - and who really wants a boss who knows less about the short and long term requirements for success in this industry?

Real talk - I know each of us have been subject to a dumb boss before, but have any of you had a boss who was in no shape qualified to manage anyone in the industry, let alone someone who was competent in their job? And that same stupid boss was such a control freak, he had people followed while they're out of the building? If you have - you'd probably agree the job was probably one of the worst jobs you ever had, right? Now, imagine if your entire career hangs in the balance of that ONE job, with that ONE stupid boss. If it failed, it's probably the last time you'd get one of these 32 gigs for at least 4-6 years (maybe even longer...)

Real talk 2 - David Culley has that boss, because he was the only one who wanted the job. There's really now way you can convince me that the Texans interviewed Eberflus, Leslie Frazier, Jim Caldwell, Brandon Staley, Eric Bienemey, Brian Daboll, Marvin Lewis... and came to the conclusion that a bad WR coach who was in his late 60s and had no experience as a coordinator would be the best choice for the HC position. They picked Culley because Culley would let Easterby pick out the rest of his coaching staff (Tim Kelly, Pep Hamilton, James Campen, Lovie Smith and Dylan Thompson were 100% Easterby hires) and Culley was willing to take the beating for what was going to be a disasterous season. 

Culley got the job because nobody else wanted it - and, can you blame anyone for NOT wanting this job?

4 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

If he is our HC next season then yes its a win for him. 

I don't agree with this - simply because he was never in danger of losing his job to begin with.

If David Culley is not the HC of the Texans, it's because he retired - not because he was fired.

17 hours ago, ET80 said:

You know your locker room is in trouble when one of your Team Captains is tweeting this (without deleting it) after a trade...

This locker room was lost, but the media isn't talking about Jack Easterby anymore... so that's all this FO is concerned about.

Brandin Cooks bitched and moaned publicly about stuff when he was a Saint to.  I still remember that one game where we blew out the Rams and he whin3d about not getting targets.  And this was in a season where he had 1200 yards and 8 tds, as well as 117 targets.