Is this season a win for David Culley?

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

You know your locker room is in trouble when one of your Team Captains is tweeting this (without deleting it) after a trade...

This locker room was lost, but the media isn't talking about Jack Easterby anymore... so that's all this FO is concerned about.

Yea but isn't this more of a slight at the FO instead of the coach?   

2 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I mean that didnt look like a lost locker room to me out there, they played their hearts out.

... it's one game. Even a broken clock is right twice, and Tennessee and LAC is proof of that.

3 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

im just a guy whos seen one texans game this year, what do i know.

I'm sure you know plenty about what you know...

...this ain't it, but that's not on you.

4 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Im sure the last two games the Texans will lose horribly to make you fans happy

Estatic.

I think this season has been a massive win for David Culley. He's grossly exceeded expectations in terms of wins. Sure, a bunch of veterans want out, but I don't get the impression anyone above Culley cares. For all the dysfunction clearly going on in Houston, it hasn't really been on the national radar like the Jaguars or Giants have been--and again, if it isn't embarrassing for the owner (and even if it is to some degree), do you really think anyone above Culley cares?

I think he gets Year 2, even if it's partly because I can't see Houston doing any better in the coaching market.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Sure, a bunch of veterans want out, but I don't get the impression anyone above Culley cares

THIS. 

Even if the locker room was fractured beyond repair, the people Culley report to do not care - they don't want any more SI reports on the dysfunction in the building, and Culley brings attention away from that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

THIS. 

Even if the locker room was fractured beyond repair, the people Culley report to do not care - they don't want any more SI reports on the dysfunction in the building, and Culley brings attention away from that.

More importantly, and I can't believe I didn't mention this: nobody is talking about the Deshaun Watson situation anymore, and (probably bogus, Houston-generated) reports are that Watson is getting trade interest in spite of a grand jury trial looming over him. What a phenomenal job by Culley to ignore all the noise until it goes away on that front.

I mean, everyone involved in that situation comes across as really ****ty, but it's a plus for Culley from a Houston Texans management perspective.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blue said:

More importantly, and I can't believe I didn't mention this: nobody is talking about the Deshaun Watson situation anymore, and (probably bogus, Houston-generated) reports are that Watson is getting trade interest in spite of a grand jury trial looming over him. What a phenomenal job by Culley to ignore all the noise until it goes away on that front.

Part of this? The Texans FO has gone full North Korea on this - pretty much any journalist/media member who asks about Watson will be given a generic "We don't discuss ongoing criminal investigations" response, and media members soon find their press credentials revoked.

Sure, guys like Peter King and Jay Glazer don't care (they don't even attend these pressers, they rely on the local media members to provide the details). Local guys like John McCain, Aaron Reiss, Sean Pendergast? Their career is effectively over if they lose their press credentials.

So, they've effectively removed the question from the ether.

• Like 2

Culley is very much underrated. We may have been without half our starters but he out coached Staley all game. Mills is also a ton better than most give him credit for. Texans may not have a ton of stars but once those roll in via F.A and the stockpile draft picks they have. This will be team watch out for next season. 

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

... it's one game. Even a broken clock is right twice, and Tennessee and LAC is proof of that.

I'm sure you know plenty about what you know...

...this ain't it, but that's not on you.

Estatic.

Apparently this clock has been right 4 times so far, what is that now, two days its been right then?

I mean if were gonna talk about things i know…

The Texans haven't exceeded anything. Fans have preposterous grasp of probability. The NFL is so balanced in terms of personnel that even the absolute worst teams will be small underdogs in one game after another, leading to decent chance of winning and therefore season win projection in the 4 to 5 range. That's exactly where Houston was. There is no such thing as 0-2 win expectation in the NFL. Houston opened as high as 5 wins with most joints at 4.5. That was in May after the draft. The Watson situation was not as clear cut at that stage.

Fast forward to early September. The consensus over/under was 4 with juice on the under. There were a few misguided joints who moved the number down to 3.5 with juice on the over. That created a middle opportunity. Let's just say there are lots of sharp guys who were thrilled with Houston's win today, but want them to go no further. They played under 5 in May and over 3.5 in September. It's now sitting on a pure middle.

I knew guys in Las Vegas who specialized in that type of thing. During my era in town there was a guy named Kaufman who devoted 90% of his time to future odds and season win totals. He didn't pretend to be able to deal with day to day odds on various sports. But he saw the flaw in the futures market where the early numbers were not adjusted at the extreme. Kaufman would identify the obvious teams with public sentiment heavily in one direction, and play it that way early. He knew he could either sit with the advantage number or play it back the other way at the last minute, setting up a middle and/or scalp.

Edited by Awsi Dooger

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Apparently this clock has been right 4 times so far, what is that now, two days its been right then?

I mean if were gonna talk about things i know…

Twice against the Jags - the one team that is more dysfunctional than Houston. You want to play those two cards as evidence on your favor, then maybe you don't know as much as you think, eh?

Let's try this - did this locker room fight hard in the 31-0 loss to Indianapolis? Or how about the 31-3 loss to Indy at home? The 31-5 loss to Hopkins, Watt and Arizona? The 40-0 loss to Buffalo?

Sure, you have four wins. I've got four losses where the team packed it in real early (and another seven losses where it really wasn't into the game to begin with, either).