Week 17: VIKINGS (7-8) at Packers (12-3)

swede700

Like a lot of people, I was annoyed that they didn't give Mond the start tonight.  I figured he had to be at least as good as Mannion. 

At the same time, maybe it wasn't such a dumb decision though.  Getting your first NFL start at Lambeau Field in prime time when the temperature is almost zero degrees isn't exactly a recipe for getting him off to a nice start.  It could have ended up looking like what Matt Nagy did to Justin Fields in his first start.  I'll give Spielman and Zimmer a break on the decision - IF they start him against 'da Bears next week.  There's no reason not to see what they have in him then.

35 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Vikings HCs since 2000 (Tice, ex-Coachilly, Frazier, Zimmer) have a W-L % of 51%

Assuming a loss tonight, Zimmers' W-L % is 56.3%.

Assuming a loss vs Chicago next week, it will drop to 56%, but a win raises it to 56.6%.

Vikings HCs since 2000 excluding Zimmer have a W-L record of 48% (92/192).

What is the underlying problem?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Vikings_head_coaches

IMO, it's the lack of a great quarterback during all but two of those years (2004 and 2009).

Edited by Uncle Buck

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Defensively they just don’t look like they know what they’re doing. Offensively they look like they don’t know how to get the ball into the hands of their best players. 

One more week of this mess. 

I saw too many players involved in this game just not playing inspired football.  It may have been @ArcticNorseman or someone else a few weeks ago (I think it was the Bears game) that said there was no energy in the team.,  I didn't see it that game, but I certainly saw it in this one.  Outside of a handful of players, I saw lots of players that just seemed to be lost or mailing it in.  

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

IMO, it's the lack of a good quarterback during all but one of those years (2009).

I don't think that's it for Zim, at least. Kirk has been pretty solidly a top 10 QB every year in Minnesota. This has been the best season of his career.

Just now, Nozizaki said:

I don't think that's it for Zim, at least. Kirk has been pretty solidly a top 10 QB every year in Minnesota. This has been the best season of his career.

He has been "good" but IMO, not good enough to justify what his salary takes away from the rest of the roster.  At least, not good enough to get them over the hump to greatness.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Right. The situations and personnel and ability are certainly comparable right now.

I get it - this sucks. Sean Mannion is not going to win you this game. If you want them to go for 30+ yard 4th down touchdowns because you think they can win I don’t even know what we are taking about anymore.

I don't think they can win kicking field goals. It was the end of the half. Doesn't matter, they were never winning this game with this QB. Or, any QB not named Cousins. 

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I saw too many players involved in this game just not playing inspired football.  It may have been @ArcticNorseman or someone else a few weeks ago (I think it was the Bears game) that said there was no energy in the team.,  I didn't see it that game, but I certainly saw it in this one.  Outside of a handful of players, I saw lots of players that just seemed to be lost or mailing it in.  

Could it have been playing out in that cold?

3 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

One other issue Zim has had is that he gets dominated in the trenches against really good teams. 

He has been "good" but IMO, not good enough to justify what his salary takes away from the rest of the roster.  At least, not good enough to get them over the hump to greatness.

The biggest hump to greatness is almost always being healthy at the right time, and having the right skills around you.

outside of 09 we haven’t had that since. 

but that is also part of being a GM and Coach.

picking the right players and coaching the athletes and allowing them to use those skills.

we have just never been able to do all that in a season. 

• Like 1

One other issue Zim has had is that he gets dominated in the trenches against really good teams. 

That's one of the main issues I saw...they were getting mostly dominated on both sides of the line...and when the Packers' offensive line was basically playing only 1 starter, the entire team should be embarrassed.

Just now, swede700 said:

That's one of the main issues I saw...they were getting mostly dominated on both sides of the line...and when the Packers' offensive line was basically playing only 1 starter, the entire team should be embarrassed.

And this is where I see this team as mentally weak.