BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

7 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

So this is something I've done the past few years as if I was a coach presenting to an owner, but never shared.  Not meant to homer or anything, but I do a review/look forward each offseason with real thoughts.  It tightens where I need to focus in the draft/FA, who I plan to sign as ERFA and RFA, and starts my offseason. 

Berlin Year In Review/Offseason Outlook

QB – Aaron Rodgers

We don’t sniff the Championship without Rodgers.  He has at least two more years of top level play.  We will be able to bring back enough pieces to go for a repeat, but if a good enough offer comes up, it might be best for the long term outlook to move on.

Losses – Geno Smith

2022 Position Grade – A- - Depth and/or future starter needed

RB – Michael Carter, Kenneth Gainwell

Jones did everything we hoped he would do when we 3 Upped him last offseason.  He was our workhorse on the ground and threat in the passing game.  That said, 9k was a lot to put into one RB and so he needed to get moved.  Carter and Gainwell flashed some very good moments as rookies with Carter almost reaching 1000 yards from scrimmage on a poor offense.  Foreman saved our butts with some very nice performances.  We definitely need more here.

2022 Position Grade – C+ - A bruising back and stability is needed

Losses – Aaron Jones, D’Onta Foreman, Matt Breida, Anthony McFarland

WR – Allen Robinson, Marquise Brown, Brandon Aiyuk, Kadarius Toney, Antonio Gandy-Golden

Robinson was a bust of a signing and OBJ has to go this offseason.  Brown had a 1,000 yard season despite the Ravens scheming him entirely underneath the 2nd half of the season for some reason.  Aiyuk put up over 700 yards receiving from November on.  So we feel good about both of them going into next year if the Ravens get their heads out of their *****.  Hopefully Daboll can get the most out of Toney who was all over the place as a rookie. 

2022 Position Grade – B- - Talent is there, but they need to play up to their talent.  Depending on where ARob signs, another WR might be a need.

Losses – MVS, OBJ

TE – Dallas Goedert, Hunter Henry, Irv Smith

We don’t win the BizzBowl without the Goedert trade midseason.  He and Henry give us arguably the best TE duo in BDL.  Irv should come back healthy next year and hopefully has that breakout season, but at the least provides depth.

2022 Position Grade – A – Good situation

Losses – Jordan Akins, Dalton Keene

OT – Kolton Miller, Tristan Wirfs

One of the best tandems in BDL, Miller and Wirfs were everything we hoped for and then some.  Kolton was one of two players I was legitimately shocked didn’t get any/more All-Pro love.  That said, we rolled the dice on them being healthy as we had no other OTs on the roster.  They’re locked up for a while and whoever is at QB will greatly appreciate that.

2022 Position Grade – A- - Depth needed

Losses - None

OG – D’Ante Smith, Royce Newman

Arguably the weakest position group on Berlin as of right now, I’ll be interested to see where/how much Cappa signs for to determine if we 3Up him to keep our OL mostly intact.  Regardless, there is a lot of uncertainty here for next year.

2022 Position Grade – D- – Currently not BDL caliber

Losses – Alex Cappa, James Daniels

OC – Corey Linsley, Robert Hainsey

Linsley is a rock in the middle of our OL and shows no drop off in play.  Hainsey may(?) take over as starting C for the Bucs next season if they don’t re-sign Jensen.  For now though, if Linsley gets hurt, we have zero viable depth.

2022 Position Grade – A- - Depth needed

Losses - None

Edge – Za’Darius Smith, Trey Hendrickson, YGM, DJ Wonnum, Trevis Gipson

Hendrickson was everything we could have hoped for when we 3Upped him last year and our defensive MVP.  Za’Darius had a lost year and will be a cap casualty for GB this offseason, but should have another good year left in him.  YGM, Trevis Gipson, and Wonnum were largely disappointments, but showed signs of growth at the end of this past season.  That said, they may never be more than good BDL depth.  With 4 edge players leaving this offseason, including Demarcus Lawrence, a high level prospect or player should be added.

2022 Position Grade – B – Higher if Za’Darius gets back to his 2020 form.

Losses – Demarcus Lawrence, Lorenzo Carter, Jake Martin, John Cominsky

INT – Quinnen Williams, Derrick Brown, Greg Gaines, Tommy Togiai, Khyiris Tonga

Quinnen and Derrick have been what we hoped for when we drafted them so highly, they just need to show a bit more consistency.  Gaines was a nice pickup late last year and is a solid primary backup.  Togiai and Tonga had a couple nice moments as rookies, but a veteran depth piece should be added to replace Sieler and Keke.

2022 Position Grade – B+ - If Quinnen and Derrick take another step forward and the 2nd year guys develop, this grade goes up.

Losses – Zach Sieler, Kingsley Keke

LB – Tremaine Edmunds, Baron Browning, Cam McGrone, Jamien Sherwood

No position group was more unsettled this year than LB.  Tremaine was our main man and, while he had some head-scratching moments, generally he was very good in all facets this year.  Browning came on late and played very well for the Broncos.  The other two are unknowns.  We lose a lot of bodies that played a lot of snaps this year, but no one that can’t be replaced.  This group is still very unsettled, even moreso after next year, and needs a fair amount of attention.

2022 Position Grade – C – Browning developing and the two rookies contributing would go a long way, but more talent is needed.

Losses – Rashaan Evans, Kyzir White, Justin Strnad, Jalen Reeves-Maybin

CB – Kendall Fuller, Eric Stokes, Byron Murphy, Ahkello Witherspoon, Nik Needham, Deandre Baker, Shemar Jean-Charles

Aside from Byron in the slot, corner was just as unsettled in 2021 as linebacker.  Stokes had rookie pains, we traded for Donte who was very good before being hurt, and Fuller was atrocious the first half of the season before WFT kept him as outside CB.  Needham is a solid depth CB and god knows what we will get from Ahkello next year, but if he plays like he did at the end of the year, we will be in a good spot next season.  Another CB should be added for depth, but our top 3 of Stokes, Fuller, and Byron is a very solid group. 

2022 Position Grade – B+ - If Stokes makes the jump to legit #1 shutdown-type corner, this grade goes up.

Losses – Donte Jackson

S – Antoine Winfield, Juan Thornhill, Camryn Bynum

Winfield is the 2nd player on my team I am legitimately surprised didn’t get any/more All-Pro love.  He was very good in every facet and will be a staple in our secondary for a long time.  Thornhill took over the starting role around week 7 and played solidly as a deep FS.  Bynum started a couple games and looked not lost, so may be in line for a bigger role next year.  Decent capital should be put into S in case Thornhill doesn’t improve.

2022 Position Grade – B – Winfield is a stud and this grade goes up if Thornhill grows

Losses – Tarvarius Moore

Good to see you're more honest about your team with yourself than you are with us 😛

Seriously though, I think you're being too harsh on your linebacker situation given most of us are playing with just two LBs most of the time anyways. You have had awful luck at the receiver position with guys failing to live up to potential going on years now. As far as Marquise Brown goes, I consider him a bust relative to his draft position and his ability to affect the game the way he's supposed to, namely, pushing the ball downfield. He has just enough good plays every year that you don't just give up on him, but he's a solid No.2 on an IRL playoff team and a good No.3 on a BDL contender. Aiyuk has exceeded my low expectations so far but I think he's in the same boat as a guy who's never going to be consistent or high-level enough to be your go-to guy. It's a position I'd prioritize finding a star at this offseason if I were you, especially since we really, really value WR play in this league.

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Ever since I added you on the socials youve been wanting to cause me violence!

Says more bout you than him, I've had the Lasher on FB for close to a decade and we don't have issues

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Good to see you're more honest about your team with yourself than you are with us 😛

Seriously though, I think you're being too harsh on your linebacker situation given most of us are playing with just two LBs most of the time anyways. You have had awful luck at the receiver position with guys failing to live up to potential going on years now. As far as Marquise Brown goes, I consider him a bust relative to his draft position and his ability to affect the game the way he's supposed to, namely, pushing the ball downfield. He has just enough good plays every year that you don't just give up on him, but he's a solid No.2 on an IRL playoff team and a good No.3 on a BDL contender. Aiyuk has exceeded my low expectations so far but I think he's in the same boat as a guy who's never going to be consistent or high-level enough to be your go-to guy. It's a position I'd prioritize finding a star at this offseason if I were you, especially since we really, really value WR play in this league.

Says more bout you than him, I've had the Lasher on FB for close to a decade and we don't have issues

It was a joke. We are best friends

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Honesty in the offseason leads to hype during the season.

Maybe I am harsh on my LBers, but I do need another one at the least.

Marquise was excellent the first half of the season and then all the sudden, his YPC dropped by more than half.  And it was all scheme.  Aiyuk was really very good the second half of this season.  The issue for both is consistency.  

I do agree that adding a bona-fide stud WR would open up everything considering I re-signed Goedert.  Stupid Allen Robinson...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Stupid Allen Robinson...

The best part is knowing in your gut that if you re-sign him, he'll suck again, but if you don't, he'll have an awesome season

The other thing with Marquise is that even those games where he had great numbers, he'd have one great play and then be mostly invisible, and once those big plays went away...again, boom-bust kind of player and you just can't count on him as anything more than a depth piece here, IMO.

Edited by Blue

14 minutes ago, Blue said:

He did prioritize the position and it’s why he won the championship. Odell Beckham was in a tough spot before going to LA so that potential was never maximized. Fortunately, Rags also invested with Allen Robinson (his struggles this year is beside the point bc Robinson has been a very proficient player annually), and has picked some depth at receivers with Hollywood and Aiyuk as respectable guys who can be effective contributions.

Its actually recommendable to invest the same budget at WR and aim for better variance or equally talented players through FA/draft.

• Like 2

Just now, Blue said:

The best part is knowing in your gut that if you re-sign him, he'll suck again, but if you don't, he'll have an awesome season

Well, I dont have to re-sign him.  I just have to wait to see which team/QB he signs with and then see if I'm gonna 3D him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MD4L said:

He did prioritize the position and it’s why he won the championship. Odell Beckham was in a tough spot before going to LA so that potential was never maximized. Fortunately, Rags also invested with Allen Robinson (his struggles this year is beside the point bc Robinson has been a very proficient player annually), and has picked some depth at receivers with Hollywood and Aiyuk as respectable guys who can be effective contributions.

Its actually recommendable to invest the same budget at WR and aim for better variance or equally talented players through FA/draft.

Say nice things about my team next please

18 minutes ago, Blue said:

The other thing with Marquise is that even those games where he had great numbers, he'd have one great play and then be mostly invisible, and once those big plays went away...again, boom-bust kind of player and you just can't count on him as anything more than a depth piece here, IMO.

So the paragraph about Marquise was definitely true last year, but not this year.  He hit his big plays, but also hit a lot of intermediate and underneath routes this year.  The Ravens started scheming him to do basically nothing but underneath/safety routes for some reason.  The Packers game was a perfect example of that.  They stopped taking deep shots.  Dunno if it cause of the QB play or what 

8 hours ago, Jlash said:

When's the last time anyone here has got a new car? It gives me PTSD. 3 years ago I went to a dealership knowing which car on their lot I wanted. Got the trade in value I wanted, my credit was spotless, within 15 minutes I test drove my car and was into it.....took 7 hours to finalize the deal. Now I'm looking at doing it again and can't even stand to think about the process.

A buddy of mine goes in and tells them after the test drive they have an hour or he walks. He cuts them off every time with a countdown reminder.

”37 minutes”

”25 minutes”

”Come on (wife’s name) let’s go these people aren’t serious”

It works EVERY TIME.

• Like 4