BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

4 hours ago, Blue said:

I really didn't think he played that well against ND as a pass rusher, kinda gifted a sack when Coan bolted from the pocket and didn't get a lot of pressure otherwise. Really disappointing in that regard given how bad our OL was until the bye week.

Sack numbers are sack numbers. He can get clean up sacks. He can also cause pressures. That sounds like an ideal DL to me.

8 hours ago, Blue said:

If you really believed that, you'd have taken my Matt Judon trade offer

(Not directed at Blue)

Let's not bash a guy who excels as a 3-4 EDGE/5 tech hybrid here. Scheme matters guys. 

Those of you who bash Judon probably hated Adalius Thomas, Howie Long, Calais Campbell, and Justin Smith.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

(Not directed at Blue)

Let's not bash a guy who excels as a 3-4 EDGE/5 tech hybrid here. Scheme matters guys. 

Those of you who bash Judon probably hated Adalius Thomas, Howie Long, Calais Campbell, and Justin Smith.

I hated Justin Smith just because every time I saw a Niners game they would stop keying on him with "Oh boy Justin Smith is just so tough. So tough. Tough guy. Look how his helmet barely fits. Tough guy".

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I hated Justin Smith just because every time I saw a Niners game they would stop keying on him with "Oh boy Justin Smith is just so tough. So tough. Tough guy. Look how his helmet barely fits. Tough guy".

No question about the media narrative with some of these guys, but 3-4 5 Techs are super important and under-appreciated. Often times those volume sacks aren't there, but they're playing head up on the OT and also setting a hard EDGE to the outside, often times getting doubled by a TE as well. They're essentially an outside 2 gap player with fast flowing action.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

(Not directed at Blue)

I am confused. Thomas was an inside lb for new England and was an olb in Baltimore 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

(Not directed at Blue)

Nah, people here cream their pants for a guy like Calais or Cam Jordan you can put at LE on early downs and slide inside on passing downs.

Another thing people love is, on 3rd down, having a guy like ZaDarius standing up over the IOL to rush inside.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

regardless, youre putting him in with upper echelon dudes here when guy had maybe 2 good years as an OLB/DE type

So I shouldn't include him as an example since he only had 2 good years playing this position? I'm kind of confused. Justin Smith played in a 4-3 for a bit and no one seemed to mind that he was kind of underwhelming in that scheme. 

I personally put "hybrid" in there to show that guys like him have a lot of versatility as a 5 tech AND as an OLB. Judon plays both as well.

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Nah, people here cream their pants for a guy like Calais or Cam Jordan you can put at LE on early downs and slide inside on passing downs.

*Gregory Rousseau has entered the chatroom

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Another thing people love is, on 3rd down, having a guy like ZaDarius standing up over the IOL to rush inside.

Understand Captain America GIF

Note Ragnarok not so subtly trying to sell ZaDarius on his block. Kudos my friend.

I mean, if things align the way that I hope, there's a definitive legitimate possibility that I can run an odd/even hybrid front while keeping a lot of the same personnel on the field and simultaneously having the ability to get to the QB without having to blitz as much...while giving exotic looks that are relatively schematically sound and simple.

Not Bad Kind Of GIF by MOODMAN