BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

For the record, I'm torn between the Browns trading Baker and watching him sulk and negotiate while "holding out" from a position of weakness with bad 2019 film, bad 2021 film, while being in the "Is he the next Jared Goff?" tier question entering 2023 with a loaded QB draft class and being 27 years old.

Dunking on the Browns is fun, I totally get it.

However, 50%+ of you were the same dudes dunking on the Browns for him being the QB to begin with, so which is it here? You can't have it both ways.

Go ahead and dunk on the Browns for how they've handled this, but you folks said they should upgrade, and then when they try to, you mock them.

Half of you: LMAO Browns go ahead and pay Baker and still irrelevant

Also Half of you: LMAO Browns run Baker out of town who is the only QB you've had in 30 years to get you to relevance and fall back down in the cellar

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Also, hot take:

The Browns denying Baker's trade request is a ploy to drive up his trade value since reports indicate thus far only 1 team has really shown interest (the Seahawks). 

They're going to wait for Watson to sign, and then they might have multiple teams interested in Baker vs. who they have on their roster/or other potentially disgruntled QB's (ATL/CAR/NO losers as well as Seattle and maybe INDY).

I think they should have been trying to move on from Baker regardless, I don't care if his fee-fees are hurt by them trying to trade for Watson or anybody else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think they should have been trying to move on from Baker regardless, I don't care if his fee-fees are hurt by them trying to trade for Watson or anybody else.

Pretty much this. I just think it's popular to dunk on Cleveland. 

It's funny to me the same people who bashed the Browns for not moving him, including the ridiculous talking heads on ESPN, are the same faulting Cleveland for LOOKING FOR AN UPGRADE and casting stones.

I mean, I get it, they could have handled it better and maybe saying "We need an adult" was a bad look when they should have just said vague FO speak like "We are grateful for everything Baker has done and does for our organization" and moved on accordingly.

Plus, let's be honest here, they are 100% trying to manufacture a market for him. 2 teams are losing out on the Watson sweepstakes (that feels bad to say) and the Colts just traded Wentz.

They want and need to try to trigger a bidding war and market just like any other asset. It might not be popular now, but it is necessary. Saying "we are trading him" actually gives up the impression of strength in negotiations. Almost everyone knows/should know that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Pretty much this. I just think it's popular to dunk on Cleveland. 

It's funny to me the same people who bashed the Browns for not moving him, including the ridiculous talking heads on ESPN, are the same faulting Cleveland for LOOKING FOR AN UPGRADE and casting stones.

I mean, I get it, they could have handled it better and maybe saying "We need an adult" was a bad look when they should have just said vague FO speak like "We are grateful for everything Baker has done and does for our organization" and moved on accordingly.

Plus, let's be honest here, they are 100% trying to manufacture a market for him. 2 teams are losing out on the Watson sweepstakes (that feels bad to say) and the Colts just traded Wentz.

They want and need to try to trigger a bidding war and market just like any other asset. It might not be popular now, but it is necessary. Saying "we are trading him" actually gives up the impression of strength in negotiations. Almost everyone knows/should know that.

Well saying they need an adult at QB does not give strength in negotiation. I understand wanting to move on from Baker but if they weren't up front with him and keeping him in the loop, I think they're in the wrong there. To me at least, it's not about trying to trade Baker but how they're going about it. He is the QB who finally made you guys relevant and won you your first playoff game in forever. That doesn't mean you need to make him your long term QB but at least treat him with some respect, that's all. Don't operate behind his back but also entirely out in the open and publicly while also insulting him to the media.

5 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Well saying they need an adult at QB does not give strength in negotiation. I understand wanting to move on from Baker but if they weren't up front with him and keeping him in the loop, I think they're in the wrong there. To me at least, it's not about trying to trade Baker but how they're going about it. He is the QB who finally made you guys relevant and won you your first playoff game in forever. That doesn't mean you need to make him your long term QB but at least treat him with some respect, that's all. Don't operate behind his back but also entirely out in the open and publicly while also insulting him to the media.

Especially when the adult they are looking for is one accused of what he is accused of.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rackcs said:

It really depends upon the timeframe of the "want an adult" comment. If it happened after a dramatic farewell post and removal of all Browns everything from social media and a refusal to meet with the Browns/ownership, then they're right even if they shouldn't have said it. 

As for the operating behind his back thing, they told him up front they were pursuing other "top tier options" (exact quote).

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ugh you hate to see stuff like this

Very unfortunate, hope it's not too serious. I still think he could go first round, but the top half of the round is probably not likely at this point. Just mocked him at 10 in my mock draft but definitely gonna have to change that now.

• Like 1

Looking over the rosters, I think there's going to be a lot of value to be had at QB this draft. So many people have established starters or young prospects.

Anchorage - Joe Burrow - Not taking a QB early, likely at all
Antarctica - Tua Tagovailoa, Kyle Trask - Probably could/should take a QB at some point but doesn't have to super early
Berlin - N/A - Almost certainly has to take a QB and somewhat early
Camden - Matthew Stafford, Sam Darnold, Justin Fields - Establish starter and young prospect, could still take one maybe mid rounds
Cancun - Patrick Mahomes - Not likely to take a QB
Cuba - Deshaun Watson, Kellen Mond - Probably takes a QB at some point, likely early-ish but even Watson will likely be playing again soon
Death Valley - Lamar Jackson, Zach Wilson - Could take a QB if value presents itself but doesn't seem super likely either
Gotham - Mac Jones, Trey Lance - One good rookie, one unproven but with big upside. Unknown how Whicker feels about each personally. Small chance but not zero.
Hungary - Dak Prescott - Doesn't seem super committed to Dak but with limited draft capital, may not want to draft one. Maybe if good value is there.
Ivory Coast- Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, Davis Mills, Jacob Eason - Just traded for Rodgers and Mills at least showed a little promise at the end of the season. Limited draft capital as well, unlikely to draft a QB
Lancaster - Just traded big capital for Lawrence and has a cheap backup in Hurts. Probably not taking a QB.
New Orleans - Josh Allen - Unlikely to take a QB.
Raleigh - Kyler Murray - Believes in Murray supposedly but still some questions there. Has very limited draft capital though, unlikely to draft a QB.
Rome - Justin Herbert - Unlikely to take a QB.
Seoul - Russell Wilson, Jordan Love - Just traded and 3 upped Wilson. Has a million picks though so he might still take one if the value is there.
Singapore - Derek Carr, Jake Fromm - Just traded for Carr and only has pick 7.15. 

There's like 2-3 teams that I think are certain to draft a QB in this draft. And someone will draft the others but I think there's gonna be some QB fallers and good value to be had.

21 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Looking over the rosters, I think there's going to be a lot of value to be had at QB this draft. So many people have established starters or young prospects.

Anchorage - Joe Burrow - Not taking a QB early, likely at all
Antarctica - Tua Tagovailoa, Kyle Trask - Probably could/should take a QB at some point but doesn't have to super early
Camden - Matthew Stafford, Sam Darnold, Justin Fields - Establish starter and young prospect, could still take one maybe mid rounds
Cancun - Patrick Mahomes - Not likely to take a QB
Cuba - Deshaun Watson, Kellen Mond - Probably takes a QB at some point, likely early-ish but even Watson will likely be playing again soon
Death Valley - Lamar Jackson, Zach Wilson - Could take a QB if value presents itself but doesn't seem super likely either
Gotham - Mac Jones, Trey Lance - One good rookie, one unproven but with big upside. Unknown how Whicker feels about each personally. Small chance but not zero.
Hungary - Dak Prescott - Doesn't seem super committed to Dak but with limited draft capital, may not want to draft one. Maybe if good value is there.
Ivory Coast- Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, Davis Mills, Jacob Eason - Just traded for Rodgers and Mills at least showed a little promise at the end of the season. Limited draft capital as well, unlikely to draft a QB
Lancaster - Just traded big capital for Lawrence and has a cheap backup in Hurts. Probably not taking a QB.
New Orleans - Josh Allen - Unlikely to take a QB.
Raleigh - Kyler Murray - Believes in Murray supposedly but still some questions there. Has very limited draft capital though, unlikely to draft a QB.
Rome - Justin Herbert - Unlikely to take a QB.
Seoul - Russell Wilson, Jordan Love - Just traded and 3 upped Wilson. Has a million picks though so he might still take one if the value is there.
Singapore - Derek Carr, Jake Fromm - Just traded for Carr and only has pick 7.15. 

There's like 2-3 teams that I think are certain to draft a QB in this draft. And someone will draft the others but I think there's gonna be some QB fallers and good value to be had.

I will consider a QB in the third or fifth probably. Depending who is there. Cus if he hits flip that bad boy later on

19 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Good value, yes.  Good prospects, no.

I'm sure I'll waste a couple picks on QBs this draft.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Good value, yes.  Good prospects, no.

I'm sure I'll waste a couple picks on QBs this draft.

I think honestly the top prospects are decent prospects, they're just not sure fire top guys. Like I could see Willis, Corral, Pickett, Howell, Ridder, even Strong all succeeding in the league to some degree or flaming out. I think they all have starter potential but it's just about who is going to end up in the best environments to succeed.

31 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Shark tank will be QB2, and presumable QB1 depending on whether actual QB1 is eligible to play. Carr did get us a good return for a shark tank addition.

Not drafting anyone first 3 rounds unless trades are made to move down.