After 8 weeks: Defensive Needs

WindyCity

Defensive Needs

If you had asked me this question at the beginning of the season I would have given you a longer list, but with the way the defense has performed and the emergence of a number of young or written off players I think this is a smaller list than 8 weeks ago.

1. OLB [Rotational-Possible starter]

McPhee's mini resurgence has made it so I do not think this is a desperate, must have a starter need, but the Bears need a quality player in free agency or the draft to play in the rotation with McPhee and Floyd.

2. OLB [Young Upside]

I also think they need to add a young player to develop with some upside. McPhee may have bought them a little time to throw multiple picks at the position and see if they can find and develop someone as well.

3. CB

Totally depends on Fuller and Prince being re-signed. If neither are then this moves way up the list and possibly to the #1 spot.

4. ILB

If Jones leaves and it looks likely that they cut Freeman after another suspension than this may move up a little. But if Trevathan and Kwiatwoski are starting in 2018 I am okay with that.

NCB has gotta be the biggest weakness on this defense currently. Bryce Callahan has been tough to watch the past several games, he's the clear weak link of the secondary that needs to be addressed. Should be WELL before a 2nd OLB. 

2nd half will be huge for Bullard, if he doesn't show more consistency than DL will be up there as well. 

31 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

NCB has gotta be the biggest weakness on this defense currently. Bryce Callahan has been tough to watch the past several games, he's the clear weak link of the secondary that needs to be addressed. Should be WELL before a 2nd OLB. 

2nd half will be huge for Bullard, if he doesn't show more consistency than DL will be up there as well. 

Callahan missed SO MANY GD tackles last week, it was infuriating. I hope he cleans that up, otherwise give the gig to LeBlanc.

Bullard is playing better, I think his injury was hampering him earlier on more than we knew.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Callahan missed SO MANY GD tackles last week, it was infuriating. I hope he cleans that up, otherwise give the gig to LeBlanc.

Bullard is playing better, I think his injury was hampering him earlier on more than we knew.

Just going by what I saw is that LeBlanc was in there a lot but Callahan was more visible due to the misques. And the snap count kind of shows to this also, was Callahan playing dime or was he really the nickle. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

On 11/3/2017 at 1:48 PM, G08 said:

Callahan got hurt in the game, IIRC.

Correct. BC37 missed the one tackle that led to the big 50+ gain, but he was actually hurt and out for most of the game. thats why i "lol" at people saying he was missing tackles most of the game, because he was out the entire 2nd half and most of the 2nd quarter. but please, keep telling us what y'all saw all game 9_9

1 minute ago, HuskieBear said:

Correct. BC37 missed the one tackle that led to the big 50+ gain, but he was actually hurt and out for most of the game. thats why i "lol" at people saying he was missing tackles most of the game, because he was out the entire 2nd half and most of the 2nd quarter. but please, keep telling us what y'all saw all game 9_9

Same thing happened last year with Bullard. After one game a few people mentioned how he was bullied and a huge reason for the defense giving up so much.

He was a healthy scratch that game. lol

In all fairness unless they have something distinct (LeBlan's hair, Gentry being a white WR, etc) they can be hard to spot if you can't see the number. Sometimes eople know what position screwed up and know who usually is there.

On 11/4/2017 at 8:27 PM, HuskieBear said:

He missed at least two tackles by my count... maybe 3.

Archived