2021 Draft Review: How you feeling?

AZ_Eaglesfan

So with the playoffs coming and essentially a full season of play from the rooks how are you guys feeling about our last draft? Overall I think Howie did a damn good job and deserves some praise.

Devonta: Pretty sure we all loved this pick when we made it and still do. The guy is just a great WR already and will continue to grow. The size concerns were completely overblown and he simply gets open all the time. With a better passing offense I fully believe he will take over the league. 

Landon: Started a bit slow but he missed almost all of training camp and came off a major knee injury. Has been an absolute monster in the run game all year and his pass protection has significantly improved. Imo he is a future pro bowl player if he can remain healthy. 

Milton: The tweener DL started a bit slow but has really come on in the second half of the year. He is having legit impact on both run and pass defense in games and looks like a future starter. 

Zech: Haven’t seen enough. Some good some bad, wait and see with him. 

Kenny G: Already a weapon. I’d expect more going forward from him and he plays a valuable role of the hybrid runner/pass catcher. Remember he didn’t play college football in 2020. 

Tarron Jackson: Shown legit flashes when he has played. Very impressed for a 6th round pick. Think he has legit potential going forward. 

Marlon I forgot was even on the team. Don’t have much hope for him as he was a low ceiling guy to start with. Jacoby and Patrick will get more chances next TC. 

What you guys think?

• Like 2

DeVonta - ❤️

Landon - Still want to see him improve in pass pro, especially next year when we're playing better teams than the cupcakes we faced lately, but no doubt he's a quality run blocker who should get even better. Mainly I just hope he stays healthy.

Milton - He's just a rotational DL that will be invisible 3/4 of the game, then maybe get a TFL. Arms are just too damn short.

Zech - Typical #4 CB that Howie assumed was a #2 CB. Jury still out tho. Didn't use him with any sort of consistency and I expect all rookie cb's to be average at best.

Ken - We all pretty much figured he was easily our best value pick, and he's proving us all right. Don't really blame him for occasionally looking shaky, because we use him so inconsistently. Wish he would get more of Howards carries. 

Tarron Jackson - Typical #4 DE. If he was a starter, I think he'd get 4-5 sacks and be solid vs the run. Nothing special, but not useless.

Marlon - sucks. USC bites us again.

you also forgot Jacoby Stevens and Patrick Johnson.

Johnson was a 7th rounder, so he's a solid pick based on the fact he has gotten some time.

Jacoby been hurt i think, so no grade, but wasn't a fan headed into the draft.

Guess you could count Tay Gowan, since he was a 5th round pick, but we didn't play him at all, so no grade there either, but I was a fan headed into the draft.

Edited by Jeezla

De'Vonta Smith - Beyond pleased with this selection and the way Howie manipulated the draft to not add Smith but 1st round pick. Smith has shown that he is truly a technician when it comes to route running and the subtle parts of the game. Fantastic selection and will be one of the best receivers in the league.

Landon Dickerson - Only concern was availability with Dickerson. He offers versatility in the interior and an intimidating run blocker. He's an improving pass blocker but is adequate at this point. He has the LG spot locked down and I don't see anybody replacing him anytime soon. Another great pick by Howie.

Milton Williams - Absolutely flies off the ball and can become a scary interior pass rusher. If he wins his match up he can be on the QB in instant given his athletic ability. He has tremendous upside and the fact that he's been able to contribute already is a great sign for his future. He should be a starter in the near future and is already a valuable rotational piece. I'm pretty satisfied with selection although I originally was hoping the Eagles would select Aaron Robinson. This was the pick that Donahoe (scouting exec?) was upset about. There were separate reports he wanted Aaron Robinson (Giants) or Alim McNeil DT (Lions). I'm curious to see how their careers play out and how they compare.

Zech McPhearson - I haven't seen enough of his play to speculate on how he can contribute in the long term. He seems to be a smart player and the his near interception against the Giants ( I believe it was the Giants) where he baited the QB to throw was an encouraging sign. He had a lot of positive reports coming out of training camp. I have to wait and see on this pick but it appears Howie made another quality selection here.

Kenneth Gainwell - As a 5th round pick, to be able to contribute the first game of the season is phenomenal. Especially, considering he was running the 2 minute offense in that game. Saying that, I do think he had some missed assignments in pass pro. That can be fixed though. He is already a versatile weapon as runner and receiver. He's a rare player that I personally liked as a prospect and the Eagles ended up selecting. I thought he would be gone by the 3rd or 4th round.

Tarron Jackson He's flashed as a pass rusher and a run defender. He's already seeing quality snaps as part of our DE rotation. Can't complain about a player like Jackson in the 6th round. 

Marlon Tuipolotu - Pretty underwhelming. Did not look promising in preseason. I think the plan is/was to groom him to become a rotational NT. Somebody who fits that 0-tech/ NT role when they use a 3 man front. However, he appears to be a miss.

Patrick Johnson - He's seen snaps at SAM this year as a 7th rounder. He's new to this position and has shown promise. Appears to be another quality selection.

Jacoby Stephens - I really like Stephens as a late round pick. He was only activated for last game but he made at least one tackle on kick coverage. I think bare minimum Stephens is a core special teamer. He could end up being a good linebacker once he puts on weight.

Players traded for/drafted by other teams in 2021 draft. 

Josiah Scott - I've only seen him play in garbage time/ special teams. 

Kary Vincent - Hasn't played but is another young piece to develop.

Tay Gowan - When he was available late in the draft, I was really hoping the Eagles would draft him. He hasn't played for them yet but I like his potential and was pleased to see him included in the Ertz trade.

I like they brought in these young guys. It just gives them more opportunities to develop/discover a quality CB. 

2021 Draft Class

• DEVONTA SMITH - We needed a dude at WR. Someone we could rely on to bring it every week. He’s been held back a bit by Hurts’ growth as a passer and running so much, but he’s been as good as advertised. With plenty of room to get even better. Should be a building block for a long time.
  • LANDON DICKERSON - Can’t say I thought of taking a guard when the pick was up, and his injury history scared me. But for a rookie he’s done very well sitting in that LG spot most of the year. Plenty of room to grow in Pass Pro, and he’s not as savvy as he’ll be in a few years. But looking like a good pick so far.
  • MILTON WILLIAMS - Our DT need is going to start to become more apparent next year and the year after. So I get added a guy. Williams has had some flashes so far and getting a lot of time for a rookie. I haven’t focused enough on him to see how he’s doing.
  • ZECH MCPHEARSON - Was in the mix to start supposedly and then they signed Nelson. TBD honestly, but he’s at least out there sometimes and contributing.
  • KENNY GAINWELL - Up and down season as far as contributing. But good pick for where he was taken. He should improve with less guys he has to split time with.
  • MARLON TUIPULOTU - Looking like the worst pick. Was inactive, think even a PS guy (might be misremembering that) like with Milton our DT need will be bigger soon, as I think Fletch is here for one more season. Will need to step up this offseason to stick.
  • TARRON JACKSON - stats wise helping more than Kerrigan apparently. Can’t say I’ve noticed him too much. Undersized guy, so probably going to be a limited contributor. But TBD
  • JACOBY STEVENS - Seems like a good dude but hasn’t been playing much. They like him enough to keep him around. TBD
  • PATRICK JOHNSON - He’s been out there a lot, can’t say you see a lot of impact though. But for a 7th rounder you can only hope for a guy who sticks.

Overall a solid class. You got two rising starters and potentially perennial stars / fan favorites out of your first two picks. Seems like they at least didn’t totally whiff on some of the guys after that, with some small contributors in the 3-5, which for their rookie year is fine.

I think the other thing to think about was they were still finding the scheme, day 3 looks so littered with dart throws at guys they liked but maybe weren’t sure how they would use. Which I don’t love, but the fact all of them stuck to the team is a positive I suppose. Next draft I hope them knowing their offense and defense more will help dial in the selections a bit more. Maybe not so many undersized tweeners.