Watson Reportedly Tore ACL in Practice

Apollo Stallion

57 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Just go for it - strictly for the drama. If you're gonna have a train wreck, have a train wreck. Let's get TMZ up in here. Get #Texans going. Image of Colin kneeling, while McNair is doing jumping jacks while playing "Push it to the limit" from Scarface as they unveil our World Series banner.

Jump the shark. JUMP THE SHARK!

No, let's get AHEAD of the curve for once.  Are there any good trans QBs out there, cuz they're really popular right now and we might win our first ESPY at least.  We already had the NFL's first hormonally pregnant Pro Bowler in Brian Cushing, and of course, Oiler Jeff Alm's accidental post-op procedure on 59/610 interchange, so cue the Montrose Proud patches!  Givens and Jefferies could provide some insights on how far Houston has come since the 90's.  

Waiting for the Texans PR geniuses to issue a statement that Bill O'Brien didn't really choke, err poorly communicate his call to run up the middle 3 straight times AGAIN last week, but was just protecting Watson from a future ACL injury.  Heck, since the Texans PR staff thinks they can just come up with nonsensical revisionist explanations, let's just go with we've been protecting Savage from injury the past 6.5 games and that we were planning on starting him the 2nd half of the season anyway.  Heck, get Jerry Jones to back us up on it. 

Oh yes, and Xavier Su'a Filo and Jeff Allen aren't the worst starting guards in football, Robert Nelson is the next AJ Bouye,  D'onta Foreman wasn't benched for walking out of practice, and a 3rd rounder in exchange for a top 10 LT was a smart football move and not a complete GM/Owner cluster foxtrot.  No, Watson injury isn't their fault, but the fact that we're staring at another wasted season because our way ahead of schedule rookie QB went down speaks to just how little faith is left in this poorly run crap heap.  The friggin Vikings lost Bridgewater, won with Bradford, lost him, lost Dalvin Cook, and are winning with Case Keenum and we know we got nothin and were already 3-4, not 6-2.  The one thing this season could accomplish at this point is to end the unholy alliance of the McNair/Rick Smith and finally have somebody in here who knows how to build an entire team, not brag about keeping 1st round picks around while throwing away the other 6 rounds and wrapping themselves division of shame banners that are seemingly made of the same teflon that McNair used to shroud his Enron profits that bought this team. 

Pats fan here.

Genuinely gutted for Watson and Houston fans.  Absolutely loved watching Watson play this year, he's been a breath of fresh air in the league.

You've been a QB away from a legit SB contender.  

Lots to be excited about for this franchise going forward.  

Mentioned weeks ago that we were nuts not to be developing an option behind Watson that could at least learn and try to emulate the "new" playbook considering Savage was a lame duck/pending FA who had failed multiple times as a starter and a huge durability risk as a backup if anything happened to Watson. Bye week/trade deadline provided the perfect opportunity.  Heaven knows we wouldn't want to be PRO-active when things were going good. I guess Rick Smith has been too busy all season trying to catch up with the secondary and o-line issues HE created for no apparent reason to bother securing the most important position in sports. 

I submit failed Rick Smith roster churn, Sept-Oct secondary edition:

1. Lane, oops nevermind
  2. Burley 
  3. Cromartie
  4. M. Williams
  5. J. Banks
  6. Ballentine
  7. Rice
  8. Virgin
  9. M. Roberson
  10. M. Smith
  11. Nelson
  12. Dillon
  13. Drummond

As if those unlucky 13 weren't enough, that Corey Moore and August addition Marcus Gilchrist AREN'T #14 and #15 despite unequivocally costing us 30% of our football games so far speaks to the level of incompetence of Rick Smith and his pathological need to justify his existence by throwing away his few decent successes in Bouye, Demps, Quin in the name of senseless churn and cap space that never gets used.   Hell, #16 Tristan Decoud has continued to hold a spot on this roster despite games where we haven't had enough active LBs, WRs, TEs, CBs to finish games as if exposing him on the PS would be more detrimental than not having Brendan Weedon still on the roster in case of emergency like Case Keenum was in Minny. This is the same guy who thought locking up FB Jay fng Prosch a year early was important this offseason, but drew the line in the sand with his franchise LT.  But hey, thank God Andre Hal has proven to have been the right building block to keep in the secondary for the next 4 years.

42 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I could get over this if i knew for sure that Watson would return to being the same player he was before this injury, but having torn ACLs in both knees now, I am not sure how he will be when he returns. 

I feel OK about it. I'm not jumping for joy, but a few things stand out:

• It's not the same knee he tore up at Clemson; So his rehab and recovery will be on a fresh joint, no scar tissue.
  • It was in practice; Not like he was being tackled by a DE and the leg got twisted up. His meniscus is probably impacted, but I feel safe in thinking his MCL and PCL are intact.
  • He's got a full 8-9 months to recover. Given his work ethic and dedication, I expect him to be the first guy in the building for treatment, still attending meetings, going through his rehab, then watching film while doing his final modalities (ice, sonar, etc).

The naysayers are quick to play the RG3 card, but this isn't as cut and dry. RG3 tore up the same knee he tore up in college, and tried to play through the injury in the playoff game for the Redskins, further damaging the knee. Watson is working on a "clean knee" so to speak - no existing scar tissue to break down and clean up before repairing the existing injury.

There's also faith in who the guy is. He doesn't seem like the type to skip treatments to play video games or go on vacation - he'll probably throw himself into more studying and refining of his mental game. Now that he has a feel of what the game is like at this level, he'll start to process the film study at a much quicker pace. Maybe even hit the gym and strengthen his core and upper body, to add velocity on his passes - really refining the things he did well as well as improving on the things he didn't do as well as he'd like. Watson has proven himself as a "no days off" kind of guy, so I expect this to be no different.

This experience might elevate him long term. Adversity such as this molds good people to great, and great people to exceptional. Watson was great, so...

... we'll be OK. 

I hope you are right. Their has been a lot of advances in ACL repair over the years, so hopefully this one heals up like ht other one did. 

Interestingly, he played in college with a knee brace on, while he has never wore on in the NFL. I suspect that changes next year. 

9 months from now, we will be at the beginning of training camp, hes got a full 10 months until the season starts. I suspect if all goes well, and he works the problem like he can, then he will play some in the pre season, maybe a little action in week 3 and a series or two in week 4 and be full go in week 1 of the regular season. 

Next year could be the year all depending on him. Or we could end up back at the drawing board. I hope not. Watson was my favorite college player in a long time, and I was so excited when we drafted him. 

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

TJ Yates, baby! Somebody schedule the Bengals!

I just had a revelation - TJ Yates is BATMAN.

• It was Yates who threw the TD to Kevin Walter and secured our first ever division title. We wanted Matt Schaub to do it, but it was Yates.
  • It was Yates who threw the go ahead TD to Andre in the playoff game.
  • It was Yates who pressed the button and 'Nuked Revis Island into the stone age. (BTW, isn't Revis a FA? Isn't he worth a look-see given the secondary issues?)
  • It was Yates who dropped the dime into Nuk's shirt pocket to beat the then undefeated Bengals.

He's the QB Houston deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hate him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our QB. He's a silent backup. A watchful clipboard holder. A Dark Knight.

(Cue Hans Zimmer's cover of Clay Walker's "Football Time in Houston").

(For the record, I'm not drunk yet. Gonna start in two hours, though. World Series Champs! Take THAT).

19 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Bridgewater still hasnt recovered from this, I hope it was a clean ACL tear and they can fix it and have him back by August 

He's practicing now and should be activated by November 8th. He didn't just have a normal ACL tear, but dislocated his knee as well.

Sorry to hear about the news. I was rooting for Watson this year. After this, I can't help but root for him even more. I'm sorry you guys get to hear people crap on your team for not signing a certain qb as well.

All that being said, I'm a Pitt fan and I'm rooting for Savage from here on out! Lol

13 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

The naysayers are quick to play the RG3 card, but this isn't as cut and dry. RG3 tore up the same knee he tore up in college, and tried to play through the injury in the playoff game for the Redskins, further damaging the knee. Watson is working on a "clean knee" so to speak - no existing scar tissue to break down and clean up before repairing the existing injury.

Shanny had RG3 playing on a sprained LCL for a month.  The original hit from roided up Ngata was absolutely grotesque with Griffin's knee bending completely backwards and rubber banding in the air. Shanny sent him back in with one play off and when questioned about sending his franchise player/best rookie year for a QB ever back into the game without being checked out completely fabricated a story about asking Dr. Andrews if he was ok to return and getting an "all clear."  Andrews later said he never even got close to Griffin and he was horrified to see him going back into the game without being checked.  Griffin tore the ACL in that knee his sophomore year at Baylor and absolutely required medical attention given the history. 

A month later during the playoff game, the LCL sprain clearly became a complete tear with Shanny AGAIN sending in his half crippled QB against the top defense in the NFL and his stupid kid still calling zone reads for a guy that could barely walk for a month.  The LCL is critical to keep the knee from buckling outward when planting and switching directions and playing with a brace thru the sprain like caused the other ligaments to strain and weaken.  Once the LCL tore during the game he was a hard cut away from ripping the ACL and one twist on a bad snap finished off his knee. Dr. Andrews had to do a total reconstruction of the knee with both the ACL & LCL completely severed using grafts from the same PCL already harvested in college. Later it was revealed the meniscus was also torn.  Griffin started week one the following season, less than 8 months from the injury with Shanny again ignoring Andrews advice to not let Griffin play until at least week 6 of the following season.   Shanny and his twit kid (who choked away the Super Bowl) proceeded to use Griffin and his health and career as a pawn in their game vs. Snyder with Shanny pretty much trying to get himself fired to collect a paycheck the following season.  

By all accounts so far, Watson's injury was a simple, clean ACL tear.  Griffin's was a catastrophic one to a knee that was already diminished from the first ACL tear.  Hopefully, the Texans will learn from the mistakes the Shanny's and Redskins made - nothing short of football malpractice - and NOT rush Watson one bit. BTW - we should also NOT make the mistake Snyder did in hiring lil Gruden to convert the QB and the offense into a West Coast offense to protect the knees of his superstar.  Watson's mobility is THE reason he is so successful and there is absolutely no reason a freak practice injury should alter what has made him successful.  

Archived