Malaga´s 2022 Off Season full mock

malagabears

Here you go peeps, been a while. Enjoy. Sorry about Soul, I hope he comes back.

My simple mock off season (Adding & subtracting major pieces).

President of football Ops:

1.      Move Ted Philips to CFO role & have him rebuild the brand and the roadmap for the move to AH & new stadium.

2.      Hire Eric DeCosta as new President of football OPS (Direct report to GM). He has been successful as the Raven's GM for 3 seasons now. He might bite now if Teddy is out of the way.

GM: Hire Saints assistant GM Jim Ireland. He has a very good scouting track record and with Decosta can transform the offense into SB using the current Baltimore system model.

HC: Hire Brian Daboll with an emphasis on hiring a competent OC & QB coach.

OlineC: Poach Jeff Stoutland away from the Eagles. He has been a master teacher this year and has many years of experience in multiple schemes.

DC: Move on from Desai and rehire Fangio. I have a feeling he leaves Denver after this season.

** Note Champ Bailey gets hired as a GM and we are awarded 2 supplemental 3rd round picks **

Off Season (35 players signed, 41M CAP space):

Cuts/Trades:

1.      Trade Nick Foles to the NO Saints for a 4th round pick (Currently 112). Save 8M.

2.      Trade Robert Quinn to the Eagles pre 6/1 for a 2022 2nd (Currently projected to be pick 54 in this year´s draft) and a 2023 5th that can convert to a 4th depending on performance. Save 4.5M.

3.      Cut Graham post 6/1. Nothing to say. Save 4M.

4.      Cut Trevathan post 6/1. Not much left in the tank. Save 3.5M.

5.      Cut Cohen post 6/1. We have plenty of RB depth. Save 4M.

6.      Cut Goldman post 6/1. He has not played well and does not warrant his largest CAP hit. Save 8.9M.

Total 29 players (73.9M CAP space – Rookie pool should be 5M.) 73.9M – 5M = 68.9M

Own Free Agents to resign:

Starters

1.      Resign James Daniels to 4/40M with 20M guaranteed & a 12M signing bonus. He gets good money upfront and is not pricey compared with other RG´s. 2022 4.5M CAP hit.

2.      Resign Bilal Nichols to 4/30M with 14.5M guaranteed & a 10M signing bonus. He is not worth Hicks’s money yet so this is a good compromise. 2022 5M CAP hit.

Depth

1.      Resign Sam Mustipher to a 2/3.9M with 2.9M guaranteed & a 2M signing bonus. 2022 1.9M CAP hit. Option to look at RFA tag.

2.      Resign Alex Bars to a 2/3M with 1.5M guaranteed & a 1M signing bonus. 2022 1.5M CAP hit.

3.      Resign Alec Ogletree to a vet minimum 1.1M guaranteed. 2022 1.1M CAP hit.

4.      Resign Damiere Byrd to a vet minimum 1M guaranteed. 2022 1M CAP hit.

5.      Resign Artie Burns to a vet minimum 1M with 500K guaranteed. 2022 500K CAP

hit.

Resign Thomas Graham to ERFA 1M. 2022 1M CAP hit.

6.      Resign Bush, Horstead, & DHC to vet minimum 1M guaranteed. 2022 3M CAP hit.

7.      Resign Patrick Scales as the LS to vet minimum 1M. 2022 1M CAP hit.

Total 39 players 68.9M – 22.5 = 46.4M

1.      Sign WR Chris Godwin to a 4/72M with 38M guaranteed & a 20M signing bonus. Godwin can be a true 1A or 1B receiver and has great route running. He will be a big jump ball & redzone target plus one more weapon for Fields. He has had minor hamstring injury concerns but has been consistent in TB. 2022 7M CAP hit.

2.      Sign CB P.J. Williams to a 4/64M with 30M guaranteed & an 18M signing bonus. Williams is good as a press or zone CB and could be a sneaky good under the radar

Signing. He has good size, decent speed and has underrated pass defended and int numbers. 2022 6.5M CAP hit.

3.      Sign TE Tyler Conklin to a 3/24M with 16M guaranteed & a 9M signing bonus. He has had a breakout year and is good at blocking and a decent pass catcher. He will be great in the 2 TE sets if we deploy them under Daboll. 2022 5M CAP hit.

4.      Sign DT BJ Hill to a 3/27M with 15M guaranteed. He is young at 26 and is a future mini Hicks type DT. He stuffs the run, has good gap awareness, and excels at TFL's. 2022 5M CAP hit.

5.      Sign ILB De'Vondre Campbell to a 3/24M with 15M guaranteed. Campbell brings good zone coverage skills against the pass, is a tackling machine against the run and has great size to compliment Roquan as 1-2 punch. 2022 5M CAP hit.

6.      Sign SS Jordan Whitehead to a 2/10M with 6M guaranteed. He is a pure in the box run defender who grades out positively. His coverage is spotty on mid & long-range coverage but hopefully he stays in the box on 75% of his snaps. 2022 3M CAP hit.

7.      Sign C Ted Karras to a 3/17.5M contract with 10M guaranteed. Karras is a versatile IOL with 2.5 seasons as a center. He will be enough of a bridge to hold down the spot while our 3rd round pick gets seasoning over the next 2 seasons. 2022 4M CAP hit.

8.      Sign LT Julien Davenport to a 1.5M prove it deal. 2022 1M CAP hit.

9.      Sign WR Tre´quan Smith to a 1/2M prove it deal. 2022 2M CAP hit.

Total 46 players 46.4M - 38.5M = 7.9M (Plenty of CAP for additional depth moves)

2022 DRAFT

1.      With pick 38 we select Edge Jermaine Johnson (6.4/265 Lbs) from Florida State. Johnson is a stout pass rusher with good moves on the edge and is really grasping run defense as well. He will be able to take over for Mack in mid or late 2023.

2.      With pick 54 we select WR David Bell (6.2/205 Lbs) from Purdue. Bell is a protypical X receiver and may have develop into a good ARob comp. He is an excellent route runner, gains separation, and is decent in the YAC. He is still having to develop blocking and scheme techniques, but he will be a great weapon for JF.

3.      With pick 73 we select C/IOL Jamaree Salyer (6.5/315 Lbs) from Georgia. Salyer is a versatile guard who is adept in zone scheme blocking and can uproot opposing DT´s easily. He has the frame to move to center and become a Swiss IOL Army knife.

4.      With our supplemental 3rd round pick we draft ILB Jack Sanborn (6.2/240 Lobs) from Wisconsin. Sanborn reminds me of Kwia in that he is good at the 2nd level and sniffs out runners and stops them before they break out of the 3-4 yards gained territory. He is not the most athletic and will have to build up his speed to cover TE curls and mid field routes from RB´s.

5.      With pick 146 we take TE Jahleel Billingley (&.4/235 Lbs) from Aabama. He is quite a project but has moderate speed, is learning the route tree, and can block on simple assignments.

6.      With pick 148 we pick QB Tanner McKee (6.5/228 Lbs) from Stanford. This draft class is not flush with QB talent so I think McKee drops to day 3 and we can pluck him in the 5th round. I like his size, arm strength, and pocket presence. He can really develop into a good backup.

7.      With pick 188 we select OT Tyler Vrabel (6.5/315 Lbs) from Boston College. He is a project and can give us depth as a swing tackle in 2023. He has worked primarily on the right side but has taken snaps as a LT.

8.      As a UDFA we sin Michael Turk to be our punter.

Roster:

OFFENSE:

QB1 – Justin Fields, QB2 – Andy Dalton, QB3 – Tanner McKee

RB1 – David Montgomery, RB2 – Khalil Herbert, RB3 – Damien Williams

WR1A – Chris Godwin, WR1B – Tre´quan Smith

WR2A – Darnell Mooney, WR2B - Damiere Byrd

WR3A - David Bell, UDFA

TE1 – Cole Kmet, TE2 – Tyler Conklin, TE3 – Jesper Horstead, TE4 - Jahleel Billingley

RT1 – Larry Borom, RT2 – Germain Ifedi, RT3 - Tyler Vrabel

RG1 – James Daniels, RG2 – Alex Bars

C1 – Ted Karras, C2 – Sam Mustipher, C3 - Jamaree Salyer

LG1 – Cody Whitehair, LG2 - Jamaree Salyer

LT1 – Teven Jenkins, LT2 - Julien Davenport, LT3 - Tyler Vrabel

Defense:

DT1A – BJ Hill, DT1B – UDFA

NT1 – Khyiris Tonga, NT2 – Angelo Blackson

DT2A – Bilal Nichols, DT2B – Mario Edwards

OLB/Edge1A – Khalil Mack, OLB/Edge1B – Jeremiah Attaochu

OLB/Edge2A – Trevis Gipson, OLB/Edge2B – Jermaine Johnson

ILB1A – Roquan Smith, ILB1B - Alec Ogletree

ILB2A - De'Vondre Campbell, ILB2B - Jack Sanborn

CB1A – PJ Williams, CB1B – Thomas Graham, CB1C – Kindle Vildor

CB2A – Jaylon Johnson, CB2B – Artie Burns, CB2C Kindle Vildor

SS1 – Jordan Whitehead, SS2 – DHC

FS1 – Eddie Jackson. FS2 – Deon Bush

Special Teams

Kicker – Cairo Santos

Punter – Michael Turk

LS – Patrick Scales

ST – Bush, DHC, Horstead, TBD

Edited by malagabears

A few things:

I believe you mean Champ Kelly, not Champ Bailey

Why are they being awarded two 3's? Either way you only have them having two 3's, so what happened to the 3rd? Also I'm assuming you mean compensatory picks, not supplemental

Nobody is trading a 4 for Nick Foles

I could be wrong but isn't PJ Williams a safety? Either way I think with that kind of money you were actually talking about Marcus Williams, who's much more worthy of $14M a year than PJ Williams is

I like the Godwin, Karras, Whitehead and Campbell signings

7 hours ago, malagabears said:

Hire Eric DeCosta as new President of football OPS (Direct report to GM). He has been successful as the Raven's GM for 3 seasons now. He might bite now if Teddy is out of the way.

Why would DeCosta take a job where he has to report to a position he already is?

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

A few things:

I believe you mean Champ Kelly, not Champ Bailey

Why are they being awarded two 3's? Either way you only have them having two 3's, so what happened to the 3rd? Also I'm assuming you mean compensatory picks, not supplemental

Nobody is trading a 4 for Nick Foles

I could be wrong but isn't PJ Williams a safety? Either way I think with that kind of money you were actually talking about Marcus Williams, who's much more worthy of $14M a year than PJ Williams is

I like the Godwin, Karras, Whitehead and Campbell signings

For the 2 3's the NFL awards the losing team these supplemental picks in 2 consecutive drafts if a minority is hired into a promotion. It is Kelly, sorry. Williams is a CB but the deal can be offered as low as 4/48. As for Foles, maybe a 5th that can turn into a 4th.

3 hours ago, malagabears said:

For the 2 3's the NFL awards the losing team these supplemental picks in 2 consecutive drafts if a minority is hired into a promotion. It is Kelly, sorry. Williams is a CB but the deal can be offered as low as 4/48. As for Foles, maybe a 5th that can turn into a 4th.

Yeah but they're called compensatory picks, not supplemental

44 minutes ago, malagabears said:

I think I asked aleady but with Gipson's emergence would anyone be good in concept with exploring a trade of either Quinn or Mack?

I was going to post a thread today about Quinn. If he plays this way he can help the Bears next year, but he could also help a desperate team & maybe that team would give up a few picks as you have mocked

11 hours ago, malagabears said:

I think I asked aleady but with Gipson's emergence would anyone be good in concept with exploring a trade of either Quinn or Mack?

I think you’d be crazy not to listen if someone inquired, but I’d still need to be pretty blown away by the offer, and only if I could make the move prior to the start of FA (so I could use the extra $ when the top FA are still available). A pre-6/1 trade of Quinn nets only a cap gain of $4.425M, and Mack $3.150M. That’s not nearly enough to matter unless they’re getting us at least one premium pick too (round 1 or 2 in the 2022 draft). That seems unlikely IMO, and even if you got that you’ve still got to replace them which will eat much if not of all of the new cap space for a player you’re hoping can adequately fill the shoes. Next offseason, however, those cap gains from a trade jump to $13.9M (Mack) and $9.762M (Quinn). I’d have to think that’s more the target trade window, at least for Mack (who’s coming off a down season followed by an injured one, and has the bigger 2022 cap charge). 

Our edge rushers are maybe the biggest strength on our roster. Since the cap space gain is reasonably small, I wouldn’t want to weaken that without a big return. 

• Like 1