Athletic Articles Discussion

dll2000

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

He went from on the brink of being fired to maturing, taking a pay cut and finishing great, so yes, rly. He built the program there as far as he can go, and he'd come here and not take **** from anyone (which is probably why he won't be the coach here).

Fair enough. 

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Then if [Joe Brady] does good he gets a HC gig in 2023.  He does bad, that isn’t good either. 

I’m not sure he goes right to HC that fast. Would depend on how well it goes in ‘22 I suppose, but we certainly couldn’t rule it out. But that’s definitely the dilemma going defensive HC, right? If we have a defensive HC and Fields takes a huge step in 2022 there’s a very real chance he’s moving on to offensive system #3 in 3 years. We cannot allow that to happen under any circumstances short of death IMO. If we go someone like Daboll or Leftwich or Roman or McDaniels or probably Harbaugh, you know the offense is going to be the offense in terms of continuity for Fields. For me, multi-year offensive continuity is a MUST for whoever we hire. Fields’ development will drive essentially everything for us over the next several years. I think that almost certainly means an offensive head coach. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not sure he goes right to HC that fast. Would depend on how well it goes in ‘22 I suppose, but we certainly couldn’t rule it out. But that’s definitely the dilemma going defensive HC, right? If we have a defensive HC and Fields takes a huge step in 2022 there’s a very real chance he’s moving on to offensive system #3 in 3 years. We cannot allow that to happen under any circumstances short of death IMO. If we go someone like Daboll or Leftwich or Roman or McDaniels or probably Harbaugh, you know the offense is going to be the offense in terms of continuity for Fields. For me, multi-year offensive continuity is a MUST for whoever we hire. Fields’ development will drive essentially everything for us over the next several years. I think that almost certainly means an offensive head coach. 

yes.

You already wasted a year with a lame duck coach.   I can't believe they did that, but they did.   We said it in Spring, but whatever.

If you switch offensive coaches every year during his rookie contract his chances of being really good or even good plummet.

I have this Athletic subscription now.  

Not going to post whole articles, but will share with you what they are saying since it is behind a paywall.

So this from Dan Pompeii:

Angelo and Smith knew they couldn’t beat the Packers by acquiring a superior quarterback, so they put most of their resources and focused their attention on building the defense, special teams and the run game. It worked, though not as well as anyone wanted.

Beginning in 2005, the Bears finished with a better record than the Packers in four of the next six seasons. From 2005 through 2011, Angelo’s last season, the Bears were 7-7 against the Packers, which doesn’t sound impressive until you consider they are 3-17 since.

The Bears lost their identity in the post-Angelo era when the emphasis shifted from defense to offense. They tried to build around Jay Cutler and the passing game, and it did not work. The Bears could have, should have won a Super Bowl with Cutler, but only with the offense as a sidecar. When the defense became the sidecar, the Bears veered off the road.

These days, the Bears have a Packers problem again. And the only way to deal with it, assuming Aaron Rodgers stays, is to have a running game that can keep him off the field and a physical, fast defense that can get after the quarterback with four rushers.

He basically argues that Bears need to go back to be a running team with a good defense because that is their identity.

What nonsense.

How did that philosophy work for Fangio in Denver?   That is a loser mentality.   And it couldn't even work in today's NFL if you wanted it to.   There are just too many defensive penalties that can be called now compared to 90s and before.

You have to build around QB and offense.   The rules force you to.

This is a silly take.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Both of these are correct lol. 

Its like - we can't beat Rodgers, but we can keep games close if we run the ball and play good defense.  We should do that.

Let's all play four corners no shot clock basketball too.   We can lose 25 - 35 and feel good we didn't get blown out.  

13 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Texans are in the hunt for a HC now too.  I wonder if McD and Flores jump to the top of their list with the Patriots connection there.

Kind of unfair to fire Texans coach given hand he was dealt.   I don't even know who that coach is.

Same with Miami coach.   Those firings seem knee jerk.

Those coaches did good with what they had.

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Kind of unfair to fire Texans coach given hand he was dealt.   I don't even know who that coach is.

Same with Miami coach.   Those firings seem knee jerk.

Those coaches did good with what they had.

Jeez, I just saw that they were both black.

Not a good look for NFL.   Granted those teams both hired those guys in first place, but the extra quick hooks are not a good look.   A coach, barring misbehavior or insubordination of some kind, should get at least 3 years.  

Who knows someone's real motivation or reasons, but like I said.  Not a good look.   

I hate dividing us into races since we are all human race.   I lost a really good job opportunity (I was hired and fired right before I was set to start), at a major university years back solely because I was not deemed a diverse person.   Ironically, person who hired me was a black woman who was looking for a qualified person in her dept. and not a color.  

I hate it when it happens to me, and I hate it when it happens to other people.

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

That was a power struggle between the HC and GM. Miami's ownership situation is probably worse than the Bears. Team's direction seems to change every time the wind blows.

Ah.  If you don't know specifics of a given situation, it doesn't look good on surface given that he won games with a rebuilding team.  

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Ah.  If you don't know specifics of a given situation, it doesn't look good on surface given that he won games with a rebuilding team.  

In this case it's even worse if you know. Flores did a good job with that team. But his personality rubbed some people the wrong way and he wanted a different QB. In a year the Dolphins will move on from Tua and they'll wish they had kept their coach.

56 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Flores reportedly wanted the Dolphins to trade for Watson. Not sure how committed he was to that or what the Texans' plans are for him at this point.

Watson wanted to play for Flores. Flores is now available. I 100% expect Flores to be their next HC if that would mean Watson being willing to stay (which I suspect it would). That, plus the 3rd pick in the draft, could be a huge swing in the NFL landscape. 

• Like 1