Athletic Articles Discussion

dll2000

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Eberflus hire means Bears revert to a 4-3 scheme. Might be a better fit for the current Bears personnel.

A 4-3 is better, in general. It would necessitate some change on the defensive side of the ball, but it would be well worth it. 

18 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

A 4-3 is better, in general. It would necessitate some change on the defensive side of the ball, but it would be well worth it. 

Regardless nickel is where we will be in 50% or more snaps and we have quite a few holes. Graham looks like he can be a starter with Johnson, maybe Vildor can not be trash back in the nickel. We have no impact at either safety spot and need a LB to pair with Smith. NT or DT we have a questionable level talent with Nichols and the shell of Goldman. 

Bleh. Lol

Just now, Sugashane said:

Regardless nickel is where we will be in 50% or more snaps and we have quite a few holes. Graham looks like he can be a starter with Johnson, maybe Vildor can not be trash back in the nickel. We have no impact at either safety spot and need a LB to pair with Smith. NT or DT we have a questionable level talent with Nichols and the shell of Goldman. 

Bleh. Lol

But as I said in the 4-3 thread, a lot of those changes, personnel-wise, have to be made anyway. So if they're gonna transition, it's the perfect time to do it. Say goodbye to Goldman, Hicks, and Trevathan (and maybe a few others), and get to work...

34 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

But as I said in the 4-3 thread, a lot of those changes, personnel-wise, have to be made anyway. So if they're gonna transition, it's the perfect time to do it. Say goodbye to Goldman, Hicks, and Trevathan (and maybe a few others), and get to work...

Agreed now is a good time if they’re inclined to change if for no other reason than that we have so few guys under contract. With that said, the guys in the front seven we still have are more geared toward a 3-4. 

I’m more concerned about how they intend to fix the secondary, to which they need to add not only quality but also bodies in general. Much of what we do there won’t be impacted significantly by any transition IMO. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed now is a good time if they’re inclined to change if for no other reason than that we have so few guys under contract. With that said, the guys in the front seven we still have are more geared toward a 3-4. 

Ehh, I don't know about that. If we accept, right off the bat, that Hicks, Goldman and Trevathan are gone...the real sticking points become Nichols and Tonga. Nichols is easy enough to get rid of, and Tonga is young enough, and cheap enough, to experiment with at 4-3 NT or under tackle (whatever the hell that is called, I forget). 

Mack, Quinn, and, most likely, Gipson are all better as 4-3 DE. And that's mega important. 

Edited by Heinz D.

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Mack, Quinn, and, most likely, Gipson are all better as 4-3 DE. And that's mega important. 

I think the flexibility that they can all do both effectively is what makes a reasonably seamless change possible. A lot of the time they’re rushing the passer now they’re starting in a 3-point stance anyway so that part of it won’t change much either way IMO - it’s more that they wouldn’t really be in coverage any more in 4-3. None are really in coverage a lot now anyway though, and like @Sugashane said we’re in nickel most of the time anyway. Give us good DBs to go with our good pass rush and we’ll have a good defense no matter whether it’s base 3-4 or 4-3. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Give us good DBs to go with our good pass rush and we’ll have a good defense no matter whether it’s base 3-4 or 4-3. 

Well...you all know my problems with the 3-4. I won't bore/infuriate you all by restating them here...🙂

From Athletic Fishbain today (Snippets):

after firing Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace, the prevailing question was,  “What will be different?”

including Lamar “Soup” Campbell, the team’s vice president of player engagement, and Tanesha Wade, the senior vice president of diversity, equality and inclusion (DEI).

having a Black woman in the room is a reflection of McCaskey’s commitment to bringing a new perspective into the process.

Diversity is a critical part of the process. 

“When you think about Tanesha and her role, her role is to always advocate for equity in the process,” Beane [ league’s chief diversity and inclusion officer] said. “How do you do that? You make sure that everyone has a similar experience. You make sure that when you’re looking at your candidate pool, that you’re ensuring that it is a diverse pool. It has a variety of different backgrounds, a variety of different skill sets. You’re always focused on ensuring that the process is fair and equitable for everyone — not just for minority candidates, but for everyone.”

her job description reads. “This position works closely with club leaders, D&I council and the HR department to determine and assess initiatives that will provide long-term focus and accountability measures for diversity, equity and inclusion efforts.”

Wade didn’t play football. She hasn’t coached. She hasn’t been a scout. That might not make her a “football person” to some, but Beane would disagree.

“You need people that have been in a variety of places in football,” Beane said. “It’s about the larger culture of the organization, the vision of the organization, how one area connects with another. It’s about collaborating and also seeing that if there is someone that has a great eye for talent, if there is someone that is well respected — she has relationships with the players. She has relationships with the executives. She has relationships with the owners. That all is key to the evaluation of candidates for general manager and head coach.”

League sources had differing views about her role. One noted how it could be challenging for a candidate who has worked their way through a scouting department or up the coaching ranks to understand why Wade is part of the group asking them questions.

“It is unique,” a source said.

It’s one thing for Wade to be a pioneer in this space and to be in a room where those who look like her haven’t been, but it shouldn’t just be “getting her feet wet.” Those who hope this can start a trend want to make sure Wade’s voice matters.

“My immediate reaction (to Wade’s inclusion on the search committee) was, ‘Yes,'” Pioli said. “Then my immediate follow-up reaction was, ‘I hope that she’s truly going to have a voice.’ I’m excited if it’s true and if it’s authentic.”

So our GM and HC hiring committee is Bill Polian, Soup Campbell and Tanesha Wade.  Is there someone else too?   And they are simply providing recommendations to George who will decide?   

What if Bill recommends a guy and Wade and Campbell like someone different? 

What if McCaskey or Ted likes a different guy altogether?

I mean I get it, but it is still more than a little insulting to Bill.

1) He is qualified and they are not.   

2) It insinuates he would not consider qualified minority candidates without the presence of a diversity officer.

I hope the media asks the hard questions when a candidate is chosen.   Who wanted who.  We probably won't get an answer or a truthful one, but they should ask.  

I think everyone being on same page in a committee situation is bull and almost always a lie.   

I also hate committees.  Committees are the worst. 

Edited by dll2000
punctuation

From Athletic:

Greenberg: Chicago celebrates Robbie Gould kicking Aaron Rodgers, Packers out of the playoffs

Silly headline and article.

I haven't seen anyone even mentioning it.   I have seen people laughing at Green Bay and Rodgers for losing, but no one really cares that Gould kicked a field goal.