A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

A Dan Quinn hire would be sickening. He is a failed coach and has only ever been good because of the players he's had on his defenses. It's not like Morris who coached 10 years ago... he was literally a HC 2 years ago and got fired after going 0-7. You would think teams would see this, but everyone has to be the smartest person in the room and overthink it.

I mean, if you just look at that part of the article linking Quinn to the Vikings, sure.

The article also states, and it's been stated by many, that Quinn is the favorite to land in Denver due to his connection/raport with Patton.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

I mean, if you just look at that part of the article linking Quinn to the Vikings, sure.

The article also states, and it's been stated by many, that Quinn is the favorite to land in Denver due to his connection/raport with Patton.

I did see that... but to even think that this team is this high on Quinn, and the odds that he is the next coach is higher than other candidates, is down right sickening. Maybe the Vikings and the Wilfs have no clue what they're doing. His only really successful year was when Shanahan was the OC.

If the people running this team is looking for the next Tomlin, and they look at Quinn and go, "Yep, this guy is definitely like Mike Tomlin," then I have to question if anyone in the organization has any idea what they're doing. We are fine with being mediocre then. We just HAVE to hope that Paton signs him in Denver.

5 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Denver can have him.  I've never been all that impressed with him.  He's just the typical, generic <fill-in-the-blank> coach, like a Jim Fassel, Pat Shurmur, Dave McGinnis, Bruce Coslet, etc...need I go on?  There's nothing that sets him apart from any other random HC of the last 25 years.

Given that many of the peole in charge of running the interviews actual know/knew Tomlin... if they say Quinn is a similar caliber man/leader, I certainly don't know enough about either of their personalities to tell them that they are wrong.

Just now, RpMc said:

Bring on Ryan Poles!!

Poles probably has a choice between us and Chicago. 

I’m perfectly content with Poles or Kwesi. Poles is likely a “safer” hire, as he’s a more traditional candidate , but I can’t help but be intrigued by what Kwesi would bring. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I’m perfectly content with Poles or Kwesi. Poles is likely a “safer” hire, as he’s a more traditional candidate , but I can’t help but be intrigued by what Kwesi would bring. 

I like the thought of having a meat and potatoes OL type as the lead executive.  I'm also partial to the name Ryan.

Poles experience with college scouting and pro personnel is appealing to me as well.

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And I personally wouldn't think that'd be much of a choice.  The Vikings' organization is far more similar to the Chiefs' organization he's coming from, where the Bears are sort of a mess, with the McCaskeys being terrible owners and having that Ted Phillips guy being an intermediary between the GM and the McCaskeys.

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

A Dan Quinn hire would be sickening. He is a failed coach and has only ever been good because of the players he's had on his defenses. It's not like Morris who coached 10 years ago... he was literally a HC 2 years ago and got fired after going 0-7. You would think teams would see this, but everyone has to be the smartest person in the room and overthink it.

Didn’t he get to a super bowl too. But gave up a bunch of points in the second half to lose. Sounds very Mike Zimmer like. Quinn is another guy, along with Caldwell, who I am completely baffled with as potential candidates. They’ve both recently proven to be poor caliber head coaches. Is a change of scenery really going to do anything? Someone like Morris was so young during his first run as HC and that was a decade ago, I can’t write him off for that failure. But to consider failures like Quinn and Caldwell, if that is the direction, we just have to hope there are truly better candidates in 3 years when we’re starting this search all over again. 

• Like 3

It'll be interesting, if Poles ends up getting the job, who he'd favor for the HC job...I personally think that would rule out Quinn (but I could be wrong, because I'm making a huge assumption here), as since Poles used to block for Matt Ryan at BC, he'd ask Matt about his opinion on Quinn as a HC, and that might be a red flag for Quinn, considering how it ended.