2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

I just realized,  picking up another WR via the draft or free agency wipes out Corey Davis. Especially if Berrios proves he's good enough to start. 

Davis' contract can be cut after this season and if he's only viewed as 3rd or 4th option, he won't be worth his contract.  

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

I just realized,  picking up another WR via the draft or free agency wipes out Corey Davis. Especially if Berrios proves he's good enough to start. 

Davis' contract can be cut after this season and if he's only viewed as 3rd or 4th option, he won't be worth his contract.  

I mean yes he can be cut after this season. But he’s our starting outside WR regardless of what we bring in. If we bring in an outside WR, that puts Berrios as the 4th guy and Moore in the slot. Berrios is only slated in as a starter now in the slot bc Moore as of now is a starting outside WR for us. When he’s better in the slot.

Technically speaking…. Davis our only outside WR that’s any good right now. So he’s for sure not “wiped out” even if we bring in a star or draft a guy at 10. Davis doesn’t change. Berrios gets moved down and Moore moves to the a lot is what happens.

34 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean yes he can be cut after this season. But he’s our starting outside WR regardless of what we bring in. If we bring in an outside WR, that puts Berrios as the 4th guy and Moore in the slot. Berrios is only slated in as a starter now in the slot bc Moore as of now is a starting outside WR for us. When he’s better in the slot.

Technically speaking…. Davis our only outside WR that’s any good right now. So he’s for sure not “wiped out” even if we bring in a star or draft a guy at 10. Davis doesn’t change. Berrios gets moved down and Moore moves to the a lot is what happens.

But the designated "slot" & "outside" is pretty much dead when all the WRs do everything.  Moore can play outside and is viewed by many as the #1 WR at the moment.  

If we were to draft G.Wilson or trade for someone like Metcalf, Davis is now the #3 best target.  If Berrios proves he's good enough to start, why would JD continue to pay Davis $11M for another year?

This isn't me knocking Davis. It's just if Moore and who ever we add become the top-2, no way I'm keeping Davis after this season to be the 3rd best target at his salary. 

Edited by rickyt31

4 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

But the designated "slot" & "outside" is pretty much dead when all the WRs do everything.  Moore can play outside and is viewed by many as the #1 WR at the moment.  

If we were to draft G.Wilson or trade for someone like Metcalf, Davis is now the #3 best target.  If Berrios proves he's good enough to start, why would JD continue to pay Davis $11M for another year?

This isn't me knocking Davis. It's just if Moore and who ever we add become the top-2, no way I'm keeping Davis after this season to be the 3rd best target at his salary. 

Not really though. Bc Berrios can’t really play on the outside. Moore can. But that’s not where you “want” him

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think you're missing the mark on Moore - he was better playing outside last season, that's where most of his production came from down the stretch. I would guess that's where Lafleur will continue to use him, a la Steve Smith. Relegating him to the slot because of his size would be malpractice, just don't see it happening, especially for a rookie.

We seem to use our receivers interchangeably as is, if anything, I would think CDs role is more likely to change.

37 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I think you're missing the mark on Moore - he was better playing outside last season, that's where most of his production came from down the stretch. I would guess that's where Lafleur will continue to use him, a la Steve Smith. Relegating him to the slot because of his size would be malpractice, just don't see it happening, especially for a rookie.

We seem to use our receivers interchangeably as is, if anything, I would think CDs role is more likely to change.

He was productive on the outside. But that’s pretty much bc he was forced out there when Davis went out. I mean who were we starting there? Mims and Cole? When Berrios and Moore were our best WRs?

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He was productive on the outside. But that’s pretty much bc he was forced out there when Davis went out. I mean who were we starting there? Mims and Cole? When Berrios and Moore were our best WRs?

Not quite, Moore and Davis both went on the IR ahead of week-14. CD missed some time prior, but was healthy when Moore was seeing most of his reps out-wide. In that Miami game (w/Davis), 136 of his 141yds came from the outside.

If he's the guy most think/hope, myself included, it won't be as a slot receiver. 

33 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Not quite, Moore and Davis both went on the IR ahead of week-14. CD missed some time prior, but was healthy when Moore was seeing most of his reps out-wide. In that Miami game (w/Davis), 136 of his 141yds came from the outside.

If he's the guy most think/hope, myself included, it won't be as a slot receiver. 

But that’s what I’m saying. Crowder I believe was tte only guy really playing that day besides Davis and Moore. So crowder was our slot when healthy, so that pushes Moore outside.

He 100% can play outside, I’m not saying he can’t and we shouldn’t do that. I’m saying that his skill set is best suited for the slot.