2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

I hate the Walker talk too. I really hope we don't draft him in the top 10. He was good on the field bit not great. He had a lot of good players on the team so teams could not really focus on him. I'm still sticking to my 4 picks. at 4 KT, at 10 Gardner, second round picks Williams WR Bama (he will fall into the second round) Penning T from North Iowa (this guy is nasty. i want him to be the T of the future not  Becton)

3 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I hate the Walker talk too. I really hope we don't draft him in the top 10. He was good on the field bit not great. He had a lot of good players on the team so teams could not really focus on him. I'm still sticking to my 4 picks. at 4 KT, at 10 Gardner, second round picks Williams WR Bama (he will fall into the second round) Penning T from North Iowa (this guy is nasty. i want him to be the T of the future not  Becton)

Dude there's no way Williams makes it to Round 2. I'd be surprised if he makes it out of the top 20. He is ahead of schedule in his rehab and would've been the no brainer 1st WR taken this year. Heck I wouldn't even bet against him still being the 1st WR drafted this year. If his rehab goes great like it appears... he might even be ready Week 1 or so. Furthermore Penning isn't making it there either. He's the 4th best OT and the other 3 will go top 15. There wont not be another OT drafted for 22 picks.

Have to be realistic. KT and Sauce is realistic. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Dude there's no way Williams makes it to Round 2. I'd be surprised if he makes it out of the top 20. He is ahead of schedule in his rehab and would've been the no brainer 1st WR taken this year. Heck I wouldn't even bet against him still being the 1st WR drafted this year. If his rehab goes great like it appears... he might even be ready Week 1 or so. Furthermore Penning isn't making it there either. He's the 4th best OT and the other 3 will go top 15. There wont not be another OT drafted for 22 picks.

Have to be realistic. KT and Sauce is realistic. 

Chris Simms just came out with his WR rankings, Williams at the top..

Jameson Williams is to be the most slam dunk, easy evaluation I’ve seen so far. He’s Jerry Jeudy with another gear. DeVonta Smith with a little more strength.“

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Jameson Williams is to be the most slam dunk, easy evaluation I’ve seen so far. He’s Jerry Jeudy with another gear. DeVonta Smith with a little more strength.“

He's that "top WR" some of us are craving. He probably wouldn't even make it to us at 10 if he was healthy. I'm all for taking him at 10 and being patient with him. Don't rush him back. But he will still play at least 2/3 of this rookie season. So it's not like we wouldn't get to see him. We aren't a win now team. So take the best WR in the draft and you have him for 5-6 years +. Him missing TC and maybe a few games is nothing in the big scheme of things. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He's that "top WR" some of us are craving. He probably wouldn't even make it to us at 10 if he was healthy. I'm all for taking him at 10 and being patient with him. Don't rush him back. But he will still play at least 2/3 of this rookie season. So it's not like we wouldn't get to see him. We aren't a win now team. So take the best WR in the draft and you have him for 5-6 years +. Him missing TC and maybe a few games is nothing in the big scheme of things. 

Yeah I think if we want to risk it which personally I would then I’d trade back up from our second rounder. we could then get  three ‘first round elite talents’ 

12 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Who strikes you as a ‘Lafleur guy’ at WR? My guess is that’ll be the pick if we’re taking one at 10.

Within Joe Douglas' 1st round grade evaluation to meet Mike LaFleur's satisfaction, I would say Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson and Jahan Dotson.  That means Jets should trade down from high pick or trade back into 1st round to take one of them.

I am not sure if which WR earns highest score on JD's grading system.  If not enough, Skyy Moore in 2nd or 3rd round will be enticing LaFleur.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

Who strikes you as a ‘Lafleur guy’ at WR? My guess is that’ll be the pick if we’re taking one at 10.

LaFleur guy? Wilson and Burks of the top 5 guys.

Then again... I'm not 100% sold we are only looking for a "LaFleur" type guy. I mean we just drafted Moore who fits that mold. You really don't want 3 guys who all have the same game.

Wilson I think fits that LaFleur mold the best of the top guys. Great route runner, good with the ball in his hands, Has a lot of Terry McLaurin to his game, is my comp for him.

Burks I've liked for awhile. If I had to have my board... he'd be my 2nd WR behind Williams. I think he's pretty much just a bigger Deebo Samuel. So he fits the system obviously (look at how Deebo has done in this system) but has the big body to offer as well, which is rare.

Williams has that taller Tyreek Hill part to his game. Immediately defenses know they cant let him get behind them. And that alters a game. That necessarily doesn't fit the "LaFleur" mold... but we did just try and trade for Hill and pay him. So clearly we think a guy like that can work. Williams also has size to him and is tougher than a lot think. Cant forget he was a guy playing ST at Bama to earn his spot early. And when I say ST, I'm not just saying returner, he was a great gunner making tackles. He's a tough kid.

London is for me the guy that doesn't fit this system the most. Now I say that bc he's not a big separation guy bc of his size. I say that not in a bad way. Bc if he was just a guy that relied on his size, I wouldn't even have him in this conversation. But he actually moves incredibly fluid for his size. He also is incredible at boxing defenders out. Now at 6'2" 215 in NCAA that works, but doesn't in the NFL. But at 6'5" 220lbs, that's hard to defend even in the NFL. He actually is incredible after the catch as well. You pretty much never see 1 or 2 guys bring him down. What's a big part of the LaFleur system? YAC and he gets that. He just does it differently than a guy like Moore for example. He does it in a way like Henry does at RB. And to go back to the what works in NCAA and doesn't in the NFL... he wins 50/50 balls. Winning 50/50 balls at 6'2 is different than winning them at 6'5" you're still going to win most of those still in the NFL.

My rankings taking system out of the equation is this.

1. Jameson Williams

2. Treylon Burks

3. Garrett Wilson

4. Drake London

5. Chris Olave

I only didn't include Olave in my breakdown bc I think there's 0% chance we take him at 10. The other 4 I can see happening. 

• Like 1

I think Wilson would fit LaFleur's system the best, but London, Burks and Williams all bring different elements to the offense, therefore they have potential to be more valuable.  We have seen Deebo's skillset succeed so you figure Burks should be fine.  Williams, I hate taking injured players with how badly we've been injured lately.  I want a guy who will be available every week for Zach.  London, the worst fit for the scheme, but the unique skillset that may help Zach the most and to be honest is an attractive broken play 50/50 ball downfield option.

I would lean towards London, Burks and Wilson then next season we draft a pure burner.

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I have to watch more of him, his game in that offense was a bit too vertical for me. More a preference thing, I love fluid receivers. Was vocal about it when we drafted Mims, Devin Smith too. Not saying Williams is anywhere near the type of athlete those two are, just from the little I've seen, hard to tell with way Bama attacks vertically. Lot of football guys I like are really high on him, so I'll lean on their opinions, as I haven't much of my own to this point.

I think there's nuance to Lafleur's preference. He seems to know what he's doing, and likely wants a well balanced group - so, for example, if you think Moore is already his type of guy, maybe he's looking for someone who can bring something different to the table, albeit within the confines of how he evaluates the position.

I think Moore/Wilson would be great because they could be used interchangeably in the offense -- somewhat similar to Woods/Kupp, Aiyuk/Deebo. Williams/Burks would both add a new element that I think LaFleur, with his creativity, would love. London looks more like a Douglas pick, physically imposing prototypical type. Fits Zach's game though, so who knows.  

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

I’m on board with him at 10 especially after we sought Hill. 

At first I thought him and Moore would be too similar to work but now get me Williams at 10 as long as that ACL checks out.

7 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I think only one person responded to my question.

How does Williams rank as a prospect compared to Cooper, Jeudy, Smith, Waddle, Ruggs, Ridley?

Not exact comparisons... but if I had to partner guys with your names...

Burks = Cooper

Wilson = Faster Jeudy

Williams = Bigger Smith

Olave = Waddle

Donte Stallworth = Ruggs

Antonio Brown = Ridley