2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

27 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But there's guys at positions we could use that are worthy of that 4th pick. If you can hit a need and it be right around BPA that's what you do. You waste picks when you draft guys like Q when you have actual needs in spots.

That is why we are having these debates.  Unlike last offseason, I see few true "needs" beyond DE and WR.  If we can get Hutch or Thibs at 4 we will have drafted for need and BPA.  I think we can all agree on that.  Where the debate begins is what happens if Hutch or Thibs are gone?  WR at 4 is too early this year and I think we can all agree on that.  The third best DE is where it gets interesting.  If we select any DE would that be overdrafting just for need?  Is that the smart move?  Could the third best DE be available at 10?

27 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Especially when a guy like Sauce right away is fighting for playing time. He isn't walking into TC and getting an outside CB spot. He has to beat out a talented CB in Hall whos a vet and in the system for a year 1 already. Not an easy task.

I'm not so sure beating out Hall is going to be all that difficult, especially if the prospect is picked at 4 - he will start.  There was mention that Halls lack of int's concerns the coaching staff.  Take that with a grain of salt but it could be, I guess.  While I like Hall and would have no problem with he and Reed starting, we can certainly use an upgrade on Hall - he is not that great.  If Sauce can produce even 80% of his college production, he will be an all-pro. Again the question is would JD select him at 4 if Hutch and Thibs are gone?  I think they would and whether I or anyone else believes that is the right move is irrelevant.  I still think they go JJ over Sauce, but I am not completely sold on that.  The point is that Sauce may be BPA in JD's eyes.

The idea of Hamilton or a future starting OT not a bad choice either.  I don't think JD would select OL that early simply because we have two starting OT's.  It is almost a counter argument to selecting Sauce, but I think Sauce is a clear cut superior talent relative to the other CB prospects while I view Neal and Icky as better than the other OT prospects but not superior.  The question then becomes would JD be better upgrading at CB or OT?  I think CB.  It would behoove the Jets to select an OT early as an injury replacement and future starter, but I don't think they would do so at 4.

Edited by xrade
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Abe56 said:

No

I used to be on Jetsinsider way back before they shut down or merged or something, but all my Jets takes are on here or twitter

I only bring that up because a lot of people use the Jack gif a whole lot.

The truth is there is not a one of us who knows what's going on, what we have are insightful if not meaningless guesses as which teams will do what with picks 1-3. Once those 3 teams make their choices or perhaps a team trades up in order to grab a QB out of sheer panic, then will we have a better grasp on where or what the Jets do at 4. 

Now there is a crazy rumor that the Jets will move back into the first round to grab Linderbaum and give up assets. My question is why? WHY? There are some very capable C's available after Linderbaum, one who seems to creeping up the boards and could be had in the 2-3 rounds without giving up assets.

Cam Jurgens in particular, who the Jets have in for a private meeting.

Not only that, but if the Jets do not trade down in the first round, then I can see them gaining more assets in the second round with a trade down. The Jets will not go into next years draft without extra picks. Historically the Jets have moved down under J.D. with the exception of last year, a year when they held their breath on Moore, and Carter respectively in rounds 2 and 4.

Johnson seems to be getting a bunch of 4th player drafted buzz, which would lead the Jets to pass on Sauce if he's even available, and perhaps grab a LB or Stingley at 10. The draft is deep at WR, they don't have to draft one in the first round. Johnson and Dean would be a steal, I could also live with Sauce and The Kman.

10 minutes ago, Big T said:

The truth is there is not a one of us who knows what's going on, what we have are insightful if not meaningless guesses as which teams will do what with picks 1-3. Once those 3 teams make their choices or perhaps a team trades up in order to grab a QB out of sheer panic, then will we have a better grasp on where or what the Jets do at 4. 

Now there is a crazy rumor that the Jets will move back into the first round to grab Linderbaum and give up assets. My question is why? WHY? There are some very capable C's available after Linderbaum, one who seems to creeping up the boards and could be had in the 2-3 rounds without giving up assets.

Cam Jurgens in particular, who the Jets have in for a private meeting.

Not only that, but if the Jets do not trade down in the first round, then I can see them gaining more assets in the second round with a trade down. The Jets will not go into next years draft without extra picks. Historically the Jets have moved down under J.D. with the exception of last year, a year when they held their breath on Moore, and Carter respectively in rounds 2 and 4.

Johnson seems to be getting a bunch of 4th player drafted buzz, which would lead the Jets to pass on Sauce if he's even available, and perhaps grab a LB or Stingley at 10. The draft is deep at WR, they don't have to draft one in the first round. Johnson and Dean would be a steal, I could also live with Sauce and The Kman.

To answer the question as to why the Jets would move up to grab a falling Linderbaum it’s because he’s an Elite prospect at an important position and a perfect fit on our scheme. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

To answer the question as to why the Jets would move up to grab a falling Linderbaum it’s because he’s an Elite prospect at an important position and a perfect fit on our scheme. 

Sorry, as Elite as he is, and I am not one to doubt it and he has enough tape to justify his being a 1st round pick. I don't buy into the scenario. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Because having an elite center is awesome and we should know that with the Mawae and Mangold years

Personally I think Linderbaum is the safest prospect in the entire draft, at worst case he will be good.

But If we dont get him I wont pout, McGovern had a solid season and now will have two really good players on each side of him and their are some mid round center prospects I like, like Cole Strange and Cam Jurgens and Luke Fortner, so If they wait and take a guy like that Ill still be happy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Abe56 said:

Because having an elite center is awesome and we should know that with the Mawae and Mangold years

Personally I think Linderbaum is the safest prospect in the entire draft, at worst case he will be good.

But If we dont get him I wont pout, McGovern had a solid season and now will have two really good players on each side of him and their are some mid round center prospects I like, like Cole Strange and Cam Jurgens and Luke Fortner, so If they wait and take a guy like that Ill still be happy

I think he's the safest pick in the draft as well. We're in no mans land kind of for him. 4 and 10 are probably too high for him and he wont make it to Round 2. Might we trade up for a guy? Maybe, but I have to think what PHI did might get JD thinking. Having 3 1st rounders sounds great. But what happens when you have all 3 on a 5yr year option salary and need to pay all 3 of them? This would all be right after having to pay Wilson and AVT remember. 

Linderbaum will be a very good C for a very long time. I have the Jets taking KT right now at 4 and trading down in the 10 spot for a team to grab a QB. I think the Saints will be the team. They will move pick 16 and 19 to get 10. I think there will be a bidding war going on for this spot to get Willis or Pickett. 

Right now i have the Jets going like this in the first round

Pick 4 KT

Pick 16 J Williams WR

Pick 19 Linderbaum C

I think Williams falls a little to mid teens and Linderbaum around 20 is about right. I think JD pulls this trade off because KT was there at 4 and had to take him and was hoping Gardner would be there at 10 but gets picked before 10. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Linderbaum will be a very good C for a very long time. I have the Jets taking KT right now at 4 and trading down in the 10 spot for a team to grab a QB. I think the Saints will be the team. They will move pick 16 and 19 to get 10. I think there will be a bidding war going on for this spot to get Willis or Pickett. 

Right now i have the Jets going like this in the first round

Pick 4 KT

Pick 16 J Williams WR

Pick 19 Linderbaum C

I think Williams falls a little to mid teens and Linderbaum around 20 is about right. I think JD pulls this trade off because KT was there at 4 and had to take him and was hoping Gardner would be there at 10 but gets picked before 10. 

Would probably be the best case scenario we could possibly have. I really hope this happens. 

To go a tad further on Sauce... I will continue to say that I think his play is great. So I'm not saying he's not good. But don't watch "highlight" film on him, watch actual film on him.

What I saw when I did that was a great CB.

BUT.....

He got away with A LOT. Very grabby and handsy. Is that not getting called in the NFL? I don't know. But he seemed to get away with a lot in college.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

To go a tad further on Sauce... I will continue to say that I think his play is great. So I'm not saying he's not good. But don't watch "highlight" film on him, watch actual film on him.

What I saw when I did that was a great CB.

BUT.....

He got away with A LOT. Very grabby and handsy. Is that not getting called in the NFL? I don't know. But he seemed to get away with a lot in college.

I'm not worried about that at all. You are better off coming in more "handsy" than not and just readjust. I think hands are fine is is more of holding the player back or bumping the player that gets called. If both players are hand fighting they usually let that go most of the time. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I'm not worried about that at all. You are better off coming in more "handsy" than not and just readjust. I think hands are fine is is more of holding the player back or bumping the player that gets called. If both players are hand fighting they usually let that go most of the time. 

Are you thinking of CB play from 10 years ago or now? Because CBs can barely do anything now. 

• Like 1