2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Interesting bc "3 team trades" in the NFL are incredibly rare. 

Hmmm.  So if 3-team trades are rare AND Jets playoff appearances are rare, then by the power of chop logic, a 3-team trade involving the Jets should yield a Jet playoff appearance.  Lets do it.

I always felt like (especially recently) that the NFL should always keep a salary cap (for NFL team parity) but I just feel and believe that the NFL should have a completely separate salary cap structure for QBs.

One that comes out of the owners pocket and isn't counted against the salary cap. 

Look at Green Bay/Kansas City/Buffalo etc with Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes/Josh Allen etc

And maybe one day; Zach Wilson. 

Why should teams be punished for drafting and then developing awesome Franchise QBs with contracts now going well over $100M and in KCs case $450M for Mahones over 10 years ala $45M per year? 

Just makes no sense to me. 

2 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I always felt like (especially recently) that the NFL should always keep a salary cap (for NFL team parity) but I just feel and believe that the NFL should have a completely separate salary cap structure for QBs.

One that comes out of the owners pocket and isn't counted against the salary cap. 

Look at Green Bay/Kansas City/Buffalo etc with Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes/Josh Allen etc

And maybe one day; Zach Wilson. 

Why should teams be punished for drafting and then developing awesome Franchise QBs with contracts now going well over $100M and in KCs case $450M for Mahones over 10 years ala $45M per year? 

Just makes no sense to me. 

Hell no.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Only way we even consider it is after this year if he shows up out of shape and can’t stay healthy. 

If that is the case we are legit selling him for pennies on the dollar. If we could still net a 1 for him I would do it well before he shows up looking like sh*t again. 

15 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

If that is the case we are legit selling him for pennies on the dollar. If we could still net a 1 for him I would do it well before he shows up looking like sh*t again. 

I doubt a team would offer anything up rn especially if we shop him, that’s a huge red flag. 

58 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I doubt a team would offer anything up rn especially if we shop him, that’s a huge red flag. 

That's what I thought about Sam Darnold after he ranked 42nd in 2020 QB Rating (worse than 9 backups) but yet JD still received a 2nd round pick + a 4th round pick for a bust QB (who I thought wasn't worth more than a 5th round pick). 

But I'm not in favor of trading away Mekhi Becton. Not because of a year #2 injury (not until giving him an opportunity to redeem himself come year #3) I'm not.  

Because as a Rookie he looked like the most dominant Jet I've ever seen since Darrelle Revis (key word, since); which is why he received nicknames such as The Big Ticket and Highway 77 (and Jet fans loved him because of it).

How quickly we forget. Kid was a beast. Dominated elite edge rushers such as Nick Bosa and his brother Joey Bosa (who ran away from Mekhi Becton after only 1 drive) and physical manhandled so many more. As only a Rookie too.  

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

That's what I thought about Sam Darnold after he ranked 42nd in 2020 QB Rating (worse than 9 backups) but yet JD still received a 2nd round pick + a 4th round pick for a bust QB (who I thought wasn't worth more than a 5th round pick). 

But I'm not in favor of trading away Mekhi Becton. Not because of a year #2 injury (not until giving him an opportunity to redeem himself come year #3) I'm not.  

Because as a Rookie he looked like the most dominant Jet I've ever seen since Darrelle Revis (key word, since); which is why he received nicknames such as The Big Ticket and Highway 77 (and Jet fans loved him because of it).

How quickly we forget. Kid was a beast. Dominated elite edge rushers such as Nick Bosa and his brother Joey Bosa (who ran away from Mekhi Becton after only 1 drive) and physical manhandled so many more. As only a Rookie too.  

Facts

I don't think you'd be saying hell no if that kid in your avatar develops into a top 5 QB and we're forced to either pay him half a billion dollars ($500M+) or flat out lose him to Free Agency. 

I just think teams should be punished for developing elite QBs. 

Teams don’t lose franchise QBs to free agency. If Zach is great we’ll be able to pay him and field a team that can win.

The difference with Sam is everyone fell into the narrative that Adam Gase was the season he sucked when reality is Darnold simply couldn’t overcome his predraft issues. The Panthers are thirsty for a QB and will continue to throw assets at them until they find one. They struck out on Darnold.