2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Give me Ojabo… he’s like 3 years younger than Johnson. By the time he’s Johnson’s age, he’ll be a 10 sack guy in the nfl. Where Johnson will nearly be 30 when his rookie contract is up.

Nope.   Entering the rookie season, he will be only 1 year younger than JJ.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

People said the same thing about Joe Burrow coming out.

"Too old".

If that's your thinking we should never draft Seniors from the Senior Bowl and should only draft Juniors (because of age). 

Jermaine Johnson II will 100% get drafted 1st round and for good reason too. 

That's comparing apples to oranges my man. QBs can play until they're 35-40 at a high level, so age doesn't matter with them as much. An edge rusher has about a 5-10 year time span they're top notch. And that even if they pan out.

We have this exact situation on our team right now with Maye. We drafted him and he was already older. Now after only 5 years in the league he turns 29 in 2 weeks. We're a rebuilding team so we most likely let him walk, bc we aren't interested in paying close to 30yr old players top dollar.

We draft Johnson in Round 1... after his 5th year option he's in the same boat (29 already). He by chance even pans out and we tag him year 6, he's 30.

NO THANK YOU

9 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Nope.   Entering the rookie season, he will be only 1 year younger than JJ.

Year an a half actually. Which let's think about how much a year and a half makes a difference for a player. How was Wilson week 1 in 2021 and how do we think he will be 1/2 way through the season in 2022? A year and a half of development is quite a bit. If 2 prospects are close in rankings. ALWAYS take the younger one. For me I take Ojabo over Johnson regardless of age. You factor in age and it's a no brainer.

Watching a mock offseason on YouTube and the guy sent a 2023rd 2nd and 2022? 4th for Amari Cooper.  It doesn't have to be Cooper but I'm definitely okay with sending a 2023 2nd for a WR and keeping all of our picks this season.  I don't know how he fits the offense but I'd like to capitalize on Jeudy having an awful QB and high ankle sprain last year, if he can be bought cheap.  If not I still want Burks.

But if we trade a future pick then Ikem is my new guy at 4, hope Ojabo falls to 10.

50 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Year an a half actually. Which let's think about how much a year and a half makes a difference for a player. How was Wilson week 1 in 2021 and how do we think he will be 1/2 way through the season in 2022? A year and a half of development is quite a bit. If 2 prospects are close in rankings. ALWAYS take the younger one. For me I take Ojabo over Johnson regardless of age. You factor in age and it's a no brainer.

Coming into pre-draft process, JJ already edges Ojabo in NFL size, power and established run support.  I expect many NFL teams will start JJ immediately as Ojabo will be part of a rotation during rookie season.  

Regardless age, both have a shot to be on at least 2 contracts with Jets, barring injury and attitude.

36 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Watching a mock offseason on YouTube and the guy sent a 2023rd 2nd and 2022? 4th for Amari Cooper.  It doesn't have to be Cooper but I'm definitely okay with sending a 2023 2nd for a WR and keeping all of our picks this season.  I don't know how he fits the offense but I'd like to capitalize on Jeudy having an awful QB and high ankle sprain last year, if he can be bought cheap.  If not I still want Burks.

But if we trade a future pick then Ikem is my new guy at 4, hope Ojabo falls to 10.

I don't think JD is ready to fork over future picks.

10 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I expect many NFL teams will start JJ immediately as Ojabo will be part of a rotation during rookie season.  

Whoever we draft will be in a rotation.  That's the way the Jets D line operates.  JFM and Lawson will start, but expect a heavy rotation with whomever we draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

His trade value is hard to gage. His play is worthy of a 2nd and he's still only 27 (crazy to think he's already been in the league 7 years). But he's one of the most likely candidates for DAL to maybe cut. And when GMs know DALs cap situation and that Cooper might get cut... the trade value lowers. I'd offer our 3rd and see what they say. 

Berrios if still staying stubborn on his asking price... we should actually just pay a guy who's actually worth it in Christian Kirk. Fits our system with quickness, route running. Just not the best size. But if Berrios still wants that high of a figure with low production, I'd rather see us pay 2-3mill more and just sign Kirk who's worth it. Still only 25 FYI.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

His trade value is hard to gage. His play is worthy of a 2nd and he's still only 27 (crazy to think he's already been in the league 7 years). But he's one of the most likely candidates for DAL to maybe cut. And when GMs know DALs cap situation and that Cooper might get cut... the trade value lowers. I'd offer our 3rd and see what they say. 

I wouldn't give up any trade assets for him only because we're more than an elite WR away from a SB and have way too many holes on both Offense and Defense. 

But if he gets cut and becomes a Free Agent I'd 100% make him our #1 WR target. 

• 7 seasons in the league. 

• 108 games played played out of a possible 113 games (95.5% availability). 

• 818 Targets (116.8 per year).

• 517 Total Receptions (73.8 per year).

• 393 1st Down Receptions (56.1 per year).

• 7,076 Receiving Yards (1,010 per year).

• 13.7 Yards Per Reception. 

• 8.7 Yards Per Target. 

• 46 TDs (6.5 per year). 

• 7 Fumbles (1.0 per year).

• 17 Drops (2.4 per year).

• Catch Rate Percentage of 63.2% (68.1% with Dallas).

• Receiver Rating of 108.9 (Davante Adams = 117.5 and Stefon Diggs = 103.5 in comparison). 

If Amari Cooper can help Zach Wilson as Stefon Diggs has improved Josh Allen? I'd gladly spend $20M per on an elite and true outside #1 WR in Amari Cooper. 

QB: Zach Wilson. 

WR 1: Amari Cooper (FA splash). 

WR 2: Drake London (#10 overall). 

Slot: Elijah Moore (who can line up all over the Offense). 

WR 4: Corey Davis. 

TE 1: Trey McBride. 

RB 1: Michael Carter. 

And all of a sudden Zach Wilson has more Offensive weapons than any Jets QB throughout the previous 50+ years and a WR trio of Cooper/London/Elijah would become more deadly than what Dak Prescott currently has in Big D and surrounded by all of that WR talent I think Trey McBride becomes unstoppable. 

Shore up our O-Line @ #4 overall with Ikem Ekwonu with Mekhi Becton @ LT, Alijah Vera-Tucker @ LG, Ikemefuna Ekwonu @ RG and George Fant @ RT and now Zach Wilson has a top 5 O-Line and Michael Carter runs wild. 

✓ Focus on Defense the rest of the way (2nd round), 3rd round, 4th round (x2) and then grab a running mate @ RB alongside of Michael Carter during the 5th round + another 5th round Defensive player and the Jets head into 2022 ready to play football.

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

17 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Mosley by far was our best player in our front seven. He had the second most tackles in one season in Jet History. The rest of the front seven sucked except for linebacker Q Williams, his brother our high first pick was over rated.

Mosley had 75% of his tackles 8 yards down the field. Being the best player in the front 7 of the worst defense in football doesnt do it for me, not for 17 mil a year. He was far from a difference maker. Hes a shell of what we thought we were paying for. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Give me Ojabo… he’s like 3 years younger than Johnson. By the time he’s Johnson’s age, he’ll be a 10 sack guy in the nfl. Where Johnson will nearly be 30 when his rookie contract is up.

Agreed. No more over drafting over agers like Mikey Mac used to do. Big reason why I wouldnt take Lloyd in the first. Are you giving this guy a second contract at age 29? 

17 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

He's not borderline top 10.

He put up a top 4-5 TE production last season and was Dak Prescott's clear cut #2 option within an NFL Offense that Ranked #1 in Yards and #1 in Points scored.

He was a big time reason why Dak Prescott and Dallas had the NFLs #1 Offense.

In a contract year...youre drinking to Kool-Aid too much and this is the mistake GMs make in FA. He is not worth overpaying.