Head Coaching Change Discussion.

Dolphinmeister

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know where to post this but this was from a mailbag regarding the 49ers on The Athletic:

I interviewed Shanahan for a profile on McDaniel, and it was clear that McDaniel was his most valuable assistant over the last decade or so because McDaniel had worked with all aspects of the offense, most prominently the offensive line, and because he’d been with Shanahan for so long. It was as if Shanahan had another version of himself, a second Shanahan, on the staff.

https://theathletic.com/3161931/2022/03/03/49ers-mailbag-big-coaching-staff-changes-garoppolos-trade-value-and-laken-tomlinson-or-d-j-jones/

Not a surprise as most knew McDaniel was Shanny's most trusted coach from all his different stops. McDaniel is hands on with the OL, especially regarding the run blocking. How is your OL in regards to run blocking? If it isn't great, good chance you guys spend in free agency or draft some athletic pulling guards. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Didn't know where to post this but this was from a mailbag regarding the 49ers on The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3161931/2022/03/03/49ers-mailbag-big-coaching-staff-changes-garoppolos-trade-value-and-laken-tomlinson-or-d-j-jones/

Not a surprise as most knew McDaniel was Shanny's most trusted coach from all his different stops. McDaniel is hands on with the OL, especially regarding the run blocking. How is your OL in regards to run blocking? If it isn't great, good chance you guys spend in free agency or draft some athletic pulling guards. 

Our OL was garbage last year in every sense of the word... although better at run blocking, probably (if only because we had an all-time terrible pass blocking unit last season).

So yeah... OL help is one of the major reasons I love this hire.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Our OL was garbage last year in e very sense of the word... although better at run blocking, probably (if only because we had an all-time terrible pass blocking unit last season).

So yeah... OL help is one of the major reasons I love this hire.

Yeah, everyone was aware of just how bad the pass blocking was but was not sure if the run blocking was equally as bad. McDaniel is VERY detailed oriented, maybe even more than Shanny and that is almost impossible lol....So he's going to have his hands on the RBs and OL for sure so he can run the offense the exact way he wants to. Shanny used to give him full control to draw up the running game plan and then they would meet on Wednesday to go over it with the team. I don't expect that to change even with him being the HC now.

So what you're saying is the Niners should have legit fear you guys sign away Tomlinson from us???/

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, everyone was aware of just how bad the pass blocking was but was not sure if the run blocking was equally as bad. McDaniel is VERY detailed oriented, maybe even more than Shanny and that is almost impossible lol....So he's going to have his hands on the RBs and OL for sure so he can run the offense the exact way he wants to. Shanny used to give him full control to draw up the running game plan and then they would meet on Wednesday to go over it with the team. I don't expect that to change even with him being the HC now.

So what you're saying is the Niners should have legit fear you guys sign away Tomlinson from us???/

we averaged 3.5 yards per carry last year as a team lol

I'm hoping we bring in as many OL as possible and see who sticks, personally. Robert Hunt is the only probable starter on our team right now... and even then, he's not a particularly high end one. Maybe Eichenberg if McDaniel can fix him. Literally everyone I wouldn't even trust as backups, frankly (Austin Jackson is probably beyond repairing and Jesse Davis couldn't block a kitten)

• Like 1