Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

31 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I'm not as big on Devin Hafford as @m haynes. I think if there is any comparison to JC Jackson it is not in their UDFA's but in fourth round pick Jack Jones.

Dole I'm not comparing him to Jackson. Its the situation. Some no name show up and balls out!

1 hour ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but Montana Tech OT Hunter Spartz has received an invite to mini-camp

I'm convinced they found this guy at the local construction yard and made up a school...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Dole I'm not comparing him to Jackson. Its the situation. Some no name show up and balls out!

JC had legit talent coming out of Maryland but people stayed away because of character concerns. This Hafford guy only compares to JC so much as they were both college CB's who went undrafted. I don't see haff of the talent in Hafford as I saw in JC.

I want to expand the thought of comparisons to JC Jackson however and mentioned Jack Jones. Similar or slightly more talented than JC Jackson out of Maryland and with similar character question marks. Jack Jones was a fourth round draft pick at least, though.

Edited by DoleINGout

5 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

JC had legit talent coming out of Maryland but people stayed away because of character concerns. This Hafford guy only compares to JC so much as they were both college CB's who went undrafted. I don't see haff of the talent in Hafford as I saw in JC.

I want to expand the thought of comparisons to JC Jackson however and mentioned Jack Jones. Similar or slightly more talented than JC Jackson out of Maryland and with similar character question marks. Jack Jones was a fourth round draft pick at least, though.

Your reading to much into my comment. It basically of the cuff. Make this easy, I see raw skills with Hafford will it translate to the next level who knows.  Lets say he passed the "MY" eye test.

I wanted to calm down before I give my thought on this years draft.  Overall it wasn't bad !!!!!!! The strange part it goes against everything thing I believe when it come to judging a draft. Crazy!!  I wanted to put this out so everyone know where i stand.   The good and the bad judgement i make on the players drafted. We will see next season.

I always look at the draft in general with how many picks make and CONTRBUTE to the team.  The 1st two picks should be day 1 starter that become corner stone for the next 10+ years. After the 1st two I'm looking for 2 players that make the team Ex Bentley, Koppen. When you get one in the late rounds It always a added bonus such as David Givens. Pass fail (IN GENERAL) to me starts with the 1st two picks you miss on one your draft is lucky to be average. You have to hit on the 1st two its a must. With that said.

Three players average.

Four players good.

Five players home run.

Here goes.

1. Strange --- I hate the pick, it was one of the dumbest picks ever in my Pats history. It's up there with the Easley pick. The pick makes no sense. I'm still shocked and angry.  I like Strange a lot as a player but it still in excusable to take him in the 1st RD with so many holes to fill and where we stand as a team from a building perspective. A frigging Guard doesn't move the needle at all.  My thoughts/reason 

•  Guard 1st pick. you have history picking OG late in the draft Mason 4th, Onwenu 5th. MO wasn't he rated highest as a rookie!!!
  •  Groh  I could care less about his RAS #s. If I hear his 40 time from his mouth one more time I'll puke !!!
  •  Groh  We didn't think we get him at 54 and didn't want to miss out. Really you kidding me that's the way you approach a draft. Well guess what you are going to over draft many players down the road that don't make it from this idiotic approach. You have a board you have players rated you tell me no one was close on your board to Strange!!!!!!! Well than why did you stay pat for Mac Jones and not trade up!!!! Total BS
  •  Pats created this hole that forced them to take a guard. While several elite players on the board.

Grade =   Pick -- F       Player -- C

2Tyquan Thornton --- I hate the pick. A total reach at two. The player is raw at best and comes from an offense that doesn't ask much from the WR.  My guess, he will be completely lost with the Pats offense. I looked up the player and Baylor offense, I wanted to make sure I had an idea what I was saying was true. Baylor offense is a gimmick offense that has been horrible while Thornton been there. I'm not saying he's the problem.  The offense is based on the run, WR are spread out wide basically they run down field on play action. The offense is built to wear out the defense. The WR is secondary.  That tells me you picked a guy that you have no clue if he can learn the Pats NFL offense in the 2nd RD. Thornton only average 35 catches per year in college. 62 as a SR. They finally got a QB!!!!

Also you take him over Sky Moore and Pickins because of his 40 time. Well that what Groh keeps saying at his pressers!!!

Everyone on this board was a shocked as I was when they took him with Sky Moore still on the board. Also what kills me is KC takes him right after.  Last but not least IMO there's a big chance this is a Harry Deebo screw up all over again.

IMO you never reach on a player based on CB numbers and physical traits.

Last, I like the eye test with Thorton however that's only a small part of being a WR in the NFL. 

Pick -- F    Player ---- D

3 Marcus Jones --- I love the pick. He's a complete Football player. The only negative is hieght that doesn't bother me at all. I could care less. For one he's a 3rd RD pick, a ST standout and a man that can stay with ANY WR in the NFL. There have been many small outstanding CB in the NFL and I feel Jones will be one of them.

PIck --- A

4. Jack Jones   Another pick I like. He has skill that are desperately need in our backfield. Most likely a starter, we stink that bad!!!!!

The off field stuff I could care less. School and stole something big deal the NFL are loaded with kids like him.

Pick --- B

4- Pierre Strong --- This is a tough one. I like the speed but he's a 3rd down back like White and he doesn't have a history catching the ball. I saw him catch it twice and he looked good , so I guess the Pats checked him out. If he can catch he's perfect compliment t the RBs

Pick  --  B

4- Bailey Zappe ---  This kid can play. You can never go wrong taking a QB. Matter of fact IMO you shoud take one if hes worth the pick. There is aways trades!!!!

PIck  ---- B

6  Kevin Harris ---  If he's healthy I love the pick. I love this type of back. Big that can move with power and twitch. I believe in 4 yards. If I had to choose a RB between Barry Sanders and Corry Dillion, I take Dillon. IMO Dillon type fit better with team football.  Don't get me wrong Barry great to watch but not on my team.

6  DT Sam Roberts ---- Small school standout. Dominated when he played. 24 years old. Smart kid, show quickness for a 6'4 300 lbs man.  I would of preferred a NT with this pick but in the 6th you look for players

Pick -- C

6  G Chasen Hines ----   That's what you call value. Big time school and Ol starter for years. It up to him he has all the tools and the pedigree. He needs to focus, this is not college, if he does, we have a steal. Can play multiple positions on the line, big plus.

Pick ---  B

7  Andrew Stueber   ------  Fantastic pick I can't believe he there in the frigging 7th. He can play guard as well. Leader of the best OL in college.   Unbelievable.

pick ---- A+++++++++++++++++++++++

I hope this makes sense. I'm not the best writer to say the least but I wanted you to get my take.

As I mentioned my sgrading system at the beginnging this draft is just crazy starnge frustrating. But like every year will see.

Overall Grade I have no clue!!!! One minute its a D the next it a B !!!!!!

Lets just say they took someone other than Strange pick one, EX George Karlaftis  and than Sky Moore. This draft would be a A+ with the potential of being one of the best draft I seen in my many years.

One last thing,  I hate RAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 3

I don't like grades so I won't get into that .. but i will give some thoughts. I wasn't a fan of the draft at first.. but at least felt good that most of the guys picked were people who I felt would fit for the team. Upon thinking further here are my thoughts: 

I have transitioned to Mr. Positivity .. so I'll write this now in case I change my mind later lol 

• Cole Strange
    • I hated the pick when i felt like he was a LG.. because I don't see the value in the 1st round LG
    • I now fully believe that they drafted him as a developmental LT.. he will start as a rookie at LG, then take over for Wynn year 2. 
    • Drafting a developmental LT at 29 isn't a reach .. people were fine with taking Raimann at 21 and to me Strange is a better prospect .. when Strange starts at LT year 2 nobody will be calling this a bad pick 
  • Tyquan Thornton 
    • I loved his athleticism when i was researching wr's .. I thought he was a 4th round pick leading up to the draft... BUT .. I can understand the series of events which made him make sense in the 2nd .. an insane number of WR's were drafted the first two rounds, basically every WR was over drafted. If they didn't take him there they would have missed out on him, I see this as another scenario of if it works out nobody will care where he was drafted 
    • I fully believe that Christian Watson was their #1 target, they saw him at the Senior Bowl, likely loved him and really wanted to have a big, tall, fast receiver 
    • Thornton is tall, insanely fast, and for all the complaints about his small hands.. had a 5% drop rate vs Watsons 12% drop rate 
    • He may be 180lbs but he had no issues with press coverage in college .. his 10 yard splits are also very impressive 
    • I got even more on board with this pick because it makes me feel more and more like they are going to transition the offense to be more like Alabama's offense. Unlike in years past, Thornton doesn't need a massive route tree to be successful .. give him 3-4 routes and he can make a living off those year 1. 
    • The director of the shrine bowl talked about him and loved his potential.. I tend to agree.. Jameson Williams came out of nowhere last year with Alabama.. I wonder how much hype Thornton would have had if he transferred to Alabama for 1 year?? 
    • I wanted NOTHING to do with Pickens, I think that's a major fail for the Steelers and I didn't see the hype in Moore
  • Marcus Jones
    • The more i read about him and watch his tape, I think he's going to play significantly year 1. 
    • He played outside, in the slot, safety, special teams, even a bit on offense
    • They gave him the hardest matchups every game.. even playing against guys like Alec Pierce.. he has a #1 corner mentality in a 5'8" frame
    • As long as his shoulder injuries don't turn into a big issue I'm all for this pick 
  • Jack Jones
    • I'll start by saying that I still think Zyon has more potential ... but i'm getting over that one 
    • 5 star recruit .. my biggest concern is that he lacks high end speed.. I worry about him not being able to handle high end WR's.. but for a 4th round pick if he can turn into a #2 on the outside that's not a bad deal
    • Similar to Marcus Jones, he totally has that alpha mentality, i love that .. the toughness Groh was talking about.. this team needs that 
    • Another guy who the head of the Shrine Bowl believed he would have a chance to start day 1.. that's lofty praise, I admittedly didn't think he had a chance of starting but it would be great to see Jones and Wade getting playing time on the outside. 
    • Fingers crossed but the depth at outside CB may be better than we think.. they REALLY loved Jack Jones in the pre draft process 
  • Pierre Strong
    • Home Run Speed .. something they haven't had in a long time 
    • He had something like 5 runs of over 50 yards last year 
    • His experience was in a zone blocking scheme.. same as Strange, there is speculation that the Patriots may be transitioning from their current scheme but I don't really believe that. If they stick to their current blocking scheme he will probably need some time to transition because it won't be just cut and go
    • His pass blocking is underrated.. with White injured he may be their best pass blocker year 1 
    • I think that he will be able to be a much faster, better all around Rex Burkhead .. he can do it all but will need to split carries 
  • Bailey Zappe
    • I would have preferred a bunch of other people.. Bo Melton / Shakir as two options.. but I can understand why they are doing it. 
    • It keeps some pressure on Mac while also having a guy who can be a decent backup if Mac gets hurt.. let's face it, if Mac goes down Hoyer and Stidham aren't going to be able to do anything
    • Best case scenario.. maybe he dominates in pre-season for a couple years and and you can trade him to a team who thinks he can be a starter 
  • Kevin Harris
    • If healthy, Benjarvis Green Ellis .. maybe a bit better probably
    • He is good insurance if Harris is gone... but I still would have taken Bo Melton here 
  • Sam Roberts
    • If he blocks one kick a year, he's worth the 6th 
  • Chasen Hines
    • Great pick! If he can stay healthy he is a starter year 2 
  • Andrew Stueber 
    • Great pick! He isn't ever going to be a top 10 RT but i'm confident they could turn him into a starting RT by year 2 

UDFA: 

• D'Eriq King
    • I don't see the Edelman Comps.. he's not that kind of athlete
    • I think he could be good to have for the scout team for athletic QBs
    • He could turn into a Jacoby Meyers level WR.. def worth having but not a game breaker
  • Brenden Schooler 
    • Great athlete, if he sticks.. he could be a great special teamer 
  • LaBryan Ray 
    • 100% not drafted because of injuries.. if the guy was healthy he has the potential to be a day 2 pick
    • Not expecting him to stay healthy but totally worth bringing him in, big potential 
  • Liam Shannaham 
    • My favorite UDFA, great athlete, local guy
    • David Andrews will be 30 in July.. OL are known to retire at a young age.. is it possible he has 2 years left? 3? 
    • I have a strong feeling he is going to stick, get a couple years as the backup and development
    • Lots of potential to be a Ted Karras type 

Under no circumstances do I think this is a perfect draft, but I feel a lot better about it now.. and feel it has potential. It's totally on the coaching staff to make this draft work, all of these guys have potential. 

No chance that this was the worse draft in the NFL, they could have 2-4 contributors as rookies and 4-6 guys with large playing time by year 2. That's a good draft if you ask me.. none of they may be superstars.. but you're getting starters who can help you win.. when you have a team with a bunch of holes on the roster, this is what you need. I think a draft like this also helps them next year, because if they can have another good free agency and development of the last couple drafts, it will let them trade up in the draft and try to pick up a couple super star level guys to push them over the top and become an actual contender. 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 1:33 AM, m haynes said:

The offense is based on the run, WR are spread out wide basically they run down field on play action. The offense is built to wear out the defense. The WR is secondary. 

Doesn't that kind of sound like....us?

I'm with you though, I thought this was a bad pick considering the WR taken after. Is it another Harry job, just with added speed?.....

Also don't like 'grades', and I don't know as much as the guys above....so I'll use gifs! 

Round 1, No. 29 overall: Cole Strange, OG, Chattanooga

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Same as everyone else; I don't mind the player, I expect he will be good and a long term starter for us, and eventually get traded to Kansas City in 6 or 7 years time after a solid career at the coal-face (pun intended). It's a reach. We have as good a record as any team of drafting and developing IOL later on and turning them into stars. We should have selected higher-end talent here and saved IOL for rounds 3-5

Round 2, No. 50 overall: Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor

If You Say So Wow GIF by Barstool Sports

It's another reach. If it works, and he's a good WR with that speed, then it's not a reach. But right now, it looks a reach because he can't get off a press. Have you seen this footage? If a strong DB gets his hands on him at the LOS, he can't do anything about it. We are going to see a lot of dud-routes because he's spent 5 seconds trying to get around a CB. They traded their second-rounder (54) and fifth-rounder (158) to move up four spots to select him as well. However....the speed man.....it's like ....a temptress whilst you're married or something. That speed...

Round 3, No. 85 overall: Marcus Jones, CB, Houston

Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF

Relieved! Because we follow up 2 meh picks with a great one, IMO. And also, relief because we have increased our speed at the 3rd level with to go up against Hill and Waddle. I was sh!t scared of playing Miami, now I think we do have the speed in the back end to cope. Also, IF he does take a TD or two to the house on a return, that's incredible. Obviously concerned with height, but we won't expose him if we can help it

Round 4, No. 121 overall, Jack Jones, CB, Arizona State

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

All reports can talk about is his five-star recruitment. Loads of busted talent were also five star. I think he's just going to be another one to add to the buried CB depth and we'll forget about this pick in 3 years, if he's even on team. He's another one that's very light.

Round 4, No. 127 overall, Pierre Strong Jr., RB, South Dakota State

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

Okay! Yeah! Another rapid offensive weapon. There is a bit of a need too, with injuries and contract situations in the RB room. Concerned about fumbles. Bye JJ.

Round 4, No. 137 overall: Bailey Zappe, QB, Western Kentucky

really? GIF by Wuz Good

Ergh, I get it, I suppose. We do need to move on from Stid-Yer. However, with what we did earlier in draft (aka reach for talent) here is where we could have added some solid piece for the front 7!

Round 6, No. 183 overall: Kevin Harris, RB, South Carolina

Adam Devine GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Maybe the worst, for me. I hate the double-dip at RB, I hate the lack of speed. So what, Groh, are we trying to get faster or not? He's rubbing himself off over the speed we drafted, then we draft a slow running back? Great physique though....

Roberts, Hines, Stueber 

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

Yeah! Solid picks here;

Roberts - Small school, but he was doing what you want to see. Absolutely tossing OL around like kids

Hines - Traits IOL, and I trust our late IOL picks

Stubs - Leader on the Michigan OL? Yes please. Versatile

With the caveat, Biggie, that we don't know anything yet really

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Doesn't that kind of sound like....us?

I'm with you though, I thought this was a bad pick considering the WR taken after. Is it another Harry job, just with added speed?.....

I never thought of it that way but ya exactly.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Also don't like 'grades', and I don't know as much as the guys above....so I'll use gifs! 

Round 1, No. 29 overall: Cole Strange, OG, Chattanooga

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Same as everyone else; I don't mind the player, I expect he will be good and a long term starter for us, and eventually get traded to Kansas City in 6 or 7 years time after a solid career at the coal-face (pun intended). It's a reach. We have as good a record as any team of drafting and developing IOL later on and turning them into stars. We should have selected higher-end talent here and saved IOL for rounds 3-5

Round 2, No. 50 overall: Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor

If You Say So Wow GIF by Barstool Sports

It's another reach. If it works, and he's a good WR with that speed, then it's not a reach. But right now, it looks a reach because he can't get off a press. Have you seen this footage? If a strong DB gets his hands on him at the LOS, he can't do anything about it. We are going to see a lot of dud-routes because he's spent 5 seconds trying to get around a CB. They traded their second-rounder (54) and fifth-rounder (158) to move up four spots to select him as well. However....the speed man.....it's like ....a temptress whilst you're married or something. That speed...

Round 3, No. 85 overall: Marcus Jones, CB, Houston

Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF

Relieved! Because we follow up 2 meh picks with a great one, IMO. And also, relief because we have increased our speed at the 3rd level with to go up against Hill and Waddle. I was sh!t scared of playing Miami, now I think we do have the speed in the back end to cope. Also, IF he does take a TD or two to the house on a return, that's incredible. Obviously concerned with height, but we won't expose him if we can help it

Round 4, No. 121 overall, Jack Jones, CB, Arizona State

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

All reports can talk about is his five-star recruitment. Loads of busted talent were also five star. I think he's just going to be another one to add to the buried CB depth and we'll forget about this pick in 3 years, if he's even on team. He's another one that's very light.

Round 4, No. 127 overall, Pierre Strong Jr., RB, South Dakota State

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

Okay! Yeah! Another rapid offensive weapon. There is a bit of a need too, with injuries and contract situations in the RB room. Concerned about fumbles. Bye JJ.

Round 4, No. 137 overall: Bailey Zappe, QB, Western Kentucky

really? GIF by Wuz Good

Ergh, I get it, I suppose. We do need to move on from Stid-Yer. However, with what we did earlier in draft (aka reach for talent) here is where we could have added some solid piece for the front 7!

Round 6, No. 183 overall: Kevin Harris, RB, South Carolina

Adam Devine GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Maybe the worst, for me. I hate the double-dip at RB, I hate the lack of speed. So what, Groh, are we trying to get faster or not? He's rubbing himself off over the speed we drafted, then we draft a slow running back? Great physique though....

Roberts, Hines, Stueber 

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

Yeah! Solid picks here;

Roberts - Small school, but he was doing what you want to see. Absolutely tossing OL around like kids

Hines - Traits IOL, and I trust our late IOL picks

Stubs - Leader on the Michigan OL? Yes please. Versatile

With the caveat, Biggie, that we don't know anything yet really

season 4 thumbs up GIF by Billions

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Bills fans predicting us 4th in the division in NFL Gen :) 

Mac will determine everything.. if he takes a jump they could be right there for the division, if he takes a step back it's totally possible. 

I think the Jets are going to be much better this year.. and of course the Dolphins beat the Pats twice last year too