Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

1 minute ago, m haynes said:

@Crimmage  Here's a tweet on Robinson

Only part I don't agree with him on is the potential 4.3 speed. 

He gets up to speed very quickly, but it seems like he doesn't have elite top end speed. A few times you could see him getting caught from behind that i wouldn't expect from a guy with 4.3 speed.  Either way he is a 2nd young guy that would be great for this offense. 

I can't get off the thought process that I would really love to trade that 1st rounder for 2 2nds.. I think you're going to see a bunch of amazing players drafted in the 2nd round this year. 

• Like 1

I have yet commit to which way I'd like the Pats to go in the Draft. Yes I know its early.

I look at all the holes on the roaster and I don't see how you can fill them through the draft and FA.

There is only three players I see at 21 that the Pats should/could take.  Yes I know someone else could fall but as of right now going with this scenario.

1. Jameson Williams

2. Andrew Booth Jr.

3. Ahmad Gardner

IMO I would jump on the CB without a second thought however not so with Williams. Reason, goes back with so many holes to fill. Do you take Williams or trade the pick. It looks like the 2nd rd will be loaded with players that  would fit right in with the Pats and fill a lot of the holes.  The 2 CB gone you trade 21 for additional picks. Yes I know you pass on Williams but some of the WR projected in the 2nd rd can be effective.

Such as

Jahan Dotson

David Bell

George Pickens

Wan'Dale Robinson

John Metchie III

If you go the trade route you could possibly end up with ( additional trades ) 3 2nd picks. 

You could possibly walk out on the second day with

Brandon Smith

Kyler Gordon

John Metchie III------ I see a lot of mocks with him in the 3rd, if that so, there are a lot of idiots in the NFL.

5 hours ago, m haynes said:

I have yet commit to which way I'd like the Pats to go in the Draft. Yes I know its early.

I look at all the holes on the roaster and I don't see how you can fill them through the draft and FA.

1. They can't fix everything this year.. it's actually more likely they take a step back this year then have a big step forward in 2 years tbo 
  2. JC Jackson will determine the direction of the offseason 100% .. if they let him leave.. CB becomes needs #1 and #2 imo 

• Gardner has been amazing in college.. but i could certainly see a scenario where he drops... it's expected that he is going to test really slow at the combine, he may even be better off not running the 40. 

The combine/senior bowl will determine a lot .. because we always see some high risers. Some players to look at regarding the combine: 

• Brandon Smith is going to have a monster combine .. people will see him as a less refined version of Parsons and he could end up going in the 1st..
  • Jahan Dotson will likely be the most talented guy at the senior bowl.. if he dominates could certainly see him being drafted over Williams 
  • Kyler Gordon also seems like a guy who will test very well.. IF he is there early to mid 2nd round.. you 1000% take him, he would be awesome alongside JC
  • Wan'Dale Robinson will either really help his stock.. or hurt it a bit depending on his 40. If he is a 4.3 guy, he's going in the 40's .. if he is a mid 4.4 guy because he lacks elite top end speed like I think, he's going to be there mid to late 2nd round. 

John Metchie III is the wild card imo 

• He wont test at the combine.. so teams may question his speed and if he can be a #1 at the next level ( he never was a Alabama)
  • He is 100% a 2nd round pick.. I would be amazed if he makes it to the 3rd round..
  • If Bill O'Brien becomes the new OC.. I think that increases the chances of Metchie being drafted a lot.. he will be singing his praise day 1
  • He has I believe 2 years of experience with Mac.. 1 when they were both backups ( so likely working together all the time) .. then Mac's starting year when Metchie was the #3 
  • He got injured in December.. ACL's are 9-12 months.. so that's September at the earliest.. if he were ready by then his experience with Mac could be invaluable for him contributing year 1 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

it's expected that he is going to test really slow at the combine,

His 40 times are all over the place from 4.5 to 4.7.  4.7 concerns me however I want to see his lateral movement at the combine. This IMO is vitally important.  The vids I watched,  Gardner looks like spider-man, very flexible, I don't see any stiffness in his movement. Combine is key.  His height off sets the lack of elite speed however you would like to see a 4.5 Combine time.

41 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

combine/senior bowl will determine a lot

Especially this year. There are so many interchangeable players from 1st to 2nd RD. EX Walker and Smith could end up in the top 15 picks or the 2nd RD. Its crazy. Same with the CBs

41 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Wan'Dale Robinson will either really help his stock..

The key is his 40 time. IMO he has to kill it or he might end up in the 3rd RD. Not sure about his WR skills . I recently watched him again and I saw a little things that reminded me of Lynn Bowden. Who I liked coming out.

44 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

John Metchie III is the wild card imo 

• He wont test at the combine.. so teams may question his speed and if he can be a #1 at the next level ( he never was a Alabama)

I not worried if he ever become a #1 WR all I care about... will he be a good pro.  He will elevate the group.  IMO he the safest pick in the draft.

Regarding Gardner.. he could end up the way of McCourty. Playing his first year as a corner then switching to safety and having an incredible career where his lack of elite speed won't hurt him. I would be fine with this if they took him at 21. 

I agree on Metchie too .. the guys going to be good and I love that Mac has already spent a couple years working with him. That greatly offsets the ACL injury for me .. i can only imagine that Mac will be rooting for him ( and O'Brian if he becomes OC). 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Regarding Gardner..

I have  watched many vids he unique, arm and legs flailing everywhere,  it crazy what they say about him. One will say something the next guy says the opposite. Here some stuff I looked up today .

Football Recruiting - Ahmad Gardner - Player Profiles - ESPN

2022 NFL draft: Breaking down Ahmad Gardner, potential Chargers target

Ahmad 'Sauce' Gardner Proves He Belongs Among Elite NFL Prospects - All Bearcats

Jameson Williams vs Sauce Gardner & Coby Bryant (2021 CFB Semifinal) | WR vs CB Matchuo - YouTube

Metchie if the Pats take him it will be nice not have to worry about a WR pick. 😃

You want to see a fantastic vid on two highly rated players at position we desperately need WR John Metchie III and CB Roger McCreary.  RC is considered many to be  1st RD talent. I still see him as a 2nd RD talent. Maybe end of the 1st ...with that said I don't see how JM doesn't go in the 1st or the top of the 2nd. Screw the injury, only idiot GMs would care about that.

IMO he's a 1st RD talent. Just watch him go up against RM and you will see the talent. Damn he's good. He know how to play the position. It would be a miracle if he fell to the Pats. He's a professional WR playing in college!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCWvC_KjXg

CB:

• Roger McCreary totally fits the Patriots defense .. he's either going to go at the end of the 1st or in the first 10 picks of the second round. Patriots always love senior bowl guys too.. so if he performs well there, I could see them wanting him more. 
  • Trent McDuffie is also a name to keep an eye out for.. he's a previous WR, similar to JC I believe. 
  • Kyler Gordon is still an awesome option, love his speed. 
  • Marcus Jones will be at the senior bowl and is a special teams / speed guy.. day 3 guy but big boom or bust prospect .. seems like their type of late round guy 

I like enough corners at the top end that makes me really comfortable wanting to trade out of the first round. 

Regarding Metchie.. if he jumps up the board to the first or early 2nd.. no chance Patriots get him. I don't see how it happens though, I think he's 100% there at 54. 

This is the time for players to rise up draft boards because of the combine and senior bowl / pro days.. he's not going to do any of those things, so what could make his stock go up? 

Guys who I expect to be drafted ahead of him:

• Jameson Williams ( he drops from top 10 to 25-32) 
  • Garret Wilson ( top 20 guy) 
  • Chris Olave ( 1st round) 
  • Treylon Burks ( 1st round, could jump a lot with a great combine)
  • Jahan Dotson ( I think he dominates senior bowl, late 1st early 2nd) 
  • Wan'Dale Robinson ( if he crushes his 40.. he will be a top 50 pick)
  • Drake London ( people will fall in love with his size, could go 1st round or early 2nd) 
  • David Bell ( mid 2nd guy) 
  • George Pickens ( championship game highlight helps him.. top 50 guy if he crushes the combine) 

That would make Metchie WR #10 off the board.. do I think he's the 10th best WR in this draft for the Patriots... NOPE.. but given his injury and lack of combine, I think a lot of evaluators will forget about him. 

Wan'Dale Robinson is still my top pick but either he or Metchie at 54 and I would be very happy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crimmage said:

This is the time for players to rise up draft boards because of the combine and senior bowl / pro days.. he's not going to do any of those things, so what could make his stock go up? 

See this is the major mistake made by scouts and teams. They fall in love with Pro days and Bowls.  I look at the player on tape and his career. If they don't see Mitchie IMO they are fools. EX Mike Mamula and Isabella and there's 100s more.

I know what I see and this kid is a can't miss. I said the same things about DeeBo, Jefferson and Hunter Renfrow. I will  also add I do miss occasionally,Josh Boyce!!!

I think he's 100% there at 54. 

You might be right but I will say this. The 31 teams that pass on him will be fools when it all said and done. I get sick every time I see Deebo, and Renfrow. I smile when I see Jefferson. Reason, I said he was the #1 WR in that draft and he making me look like a genus!!😁 That note, I said Ja'Marr Chase was the best WR and it wasn't even close and he a generational talent.  ******** The same so call expert  said Chase would drop because he was out for a year.  How that work out, fools!!!

• Jameson Williams ( he drops from top 10 to 25-32) 
  • Garret Wilson ( top 20 guy) 
  • Chris Olave ( 1st round) 
  • Treylon Burks ( 1st round, could jump a lot with a great combine)
  • Jahan Dotson ( I think he dominates senior bowl, late 1st early 2nd) 
  • Wan'Dale Robinson ( if he crushes his 40.. he will be a top 50 pick)
  • Drake London ( people will fall in love with his size, could go 1st round or early 2nd) 
  • David Bell ( mid 2nd guy) 
  • George Pickens ( championship game highlight helps him.. top 50 guy if he crushes the combine) 

Here how I look at your board.

• 1. Jameson Williams ( he drops from top 10 to 25-32)
  • 2. Garret Wilson ( top 20 guy) 
  • 3. Jahan Dotson ( I think he dominates senior bowl, late 1st early 2nd)
  • 4. Metchie     Already a accomplished WR, Plays inside and out. Has played the best competition since entering college and is ready to go day 1.  Last,  they're  no guess with the pick.
  • 5.  David Bell ( mid 2nd guy) 
  • 6. George Pickens ( championship game highlight helps him.. top 50 guy if he crushes the combine)  I hate the players makeup
  • 7. Wan'Dale Robinson ( if he crushes his 40.. he will be a top 50 pick)
  • 8. Treylon Burks ( 1st round, could jump a lot with a great combine)
  • 9. Drake London ( people will fall in love with his size, could go 1st round or early 2nd) 

Also you left off Chris Olave. Good becasue he is Devin Smith. I'll look at him in the 5th R, Maybe.

Edited by m haynes

• Further proof of how great this 2nd round is for the Patriots .. Travis Jones next to Barmore would be awesome. 
  • Roger Mccreary may fall into the 2nd round as well because he reportedly has insanely short arms? 
  • Coby Bryant is apparently having a great senior bowl so far.. could sneak into the 2nd round 
  • Jalen Pitre apparently doing great at senior bowl as well.. could be in the 2nd round 

The Atlanta Falcons should just draft Malik Willis at 21 and trade the Patriots their 2nds so they can have 43/54/58