Divisional Round GDT - Green Bay Packers vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

I know the discussion for the Packers game will not start picking up until midweek but since it is a Saturday game instead of Sunday, thought I would get this thread started.

I'm going to keep it short here. If Bosa and Warner play, I like our chances. The Packers backs are really good but our run defense has been very stout and if we can contain the run, then our pass rush can do some damage. Packers OL will be healthy unlike in the week 3 match up and I believe Smith/Alexander will also be playing. So full hands on deck most likely on the Packers end.

Obviously the same cannot be said about our team...At least not yet. I will say, having Greenlaw/Azeez healthy helps the loss of Warner but we will still him this game. His coverage ability is far superior than the other two. 

Last time out our starting corners were Moseley/Norman and then when Norman got hurt, in came Lenoir. Thomas will be opposite of Moseley but more importantly, Ryans will need to continue changing his looks as it was far too easy for Rodgers on those 3rd downs. He knew the coverage and took full advantage of those deep shots to WRs working out of the slot. 

Anyways, it will be a good game but I think our running game is very good at the moment and I see Kittle having a few monster catches. 

SF 27

GB 20 

Last meeting, we didn't have Mitchell for the game, Aiyuk wasn't right, our run defense was a mess, we had no pass rush, and Ryans was still trying to figure out how to call a game, and we still only lost by 2 points in the last 30 seconds. 

The Packers are going to see virtually a completely different 49ers team than what they faced at the beginning of the season. All bets are off, as far as I'm concerned. 

Also, the Packers are pretty bad at stopping the run and have gotten worse throughout the season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

If Niners run the ball over 35 times they will win. 

The important thing is our main backs won't be Sermon and Juice. We'll have Mitchell and Deebo combining for 30 or more carries. I'd really love to see Wilson get some carries in the 3rd or 4th Q. His fresh legs paired with his soul-stealing style of running would be a backbreaker for a defense to take on in the freezing cold.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Last meeting, we didn't have Mitchell for the game, Aiyuk wasn't right, our run defense was a mess, we had no pass rush, and Ryans was still trying to figure out how to call a game, and we still only lost by 2 points in the last 30 seconds. 

The Packers are going to see virtually a completely different 49ers team than what they faced at the beginning of the season. All bets are off, as far as I'm concerned. 

Also, the Packers are pretty bad at stopping the run and have gotten worse throughout the season. 

Packers did not have a healthy OL in the first meeting and overall they outplayed us. We got some clutch stops in the RZ but make no mistake, the Packers looked like the better team that night. 

Time to change that but we will need Bosa and Warner. Our pass rush and secondary are playing much better and are run game is helping us dominate the TOP. 

I went to the Colts game and Jimmy definitely struggled passing the ball in that weather. Hopefully it is not snowing or raining and Jimmy can actually pass the ball with some sort of zip on the ball. 

And we all know Rodgers will not turn it over much, if at all...So Jimmy, can you please play a clean game for once??? 

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

Run. Run. Run. Run. Run.

Run and stop the run. Dillon/Jones are going to get the rock early and often. If we can stop their run, I like our chances. 

Rodgers is obviously great but we have the type of pass defense that can really make it hard on the QB to stay disciplined. You have to be willing to take the shorter throws over and over and over again. Davante has always had his way against this defense so I hope Ryans is able to make some sort of adjustment on him. 

It's going to be another nerve wrecking game.

45 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Packers did not have a healthy OL in the first meeting and overall they outplayed us. We got some clutch stops in the RZ but make no mistake, the Packers looked like the better team that night. 

They also didn't have Z for that game, I think. 

Really can just throw out the first matchup given how many key pieces they were missing

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

They also didn't have Z for that game, I think. 

Really can just throw out the first matchup given how many key pieces they were missing

Yep, two different teams to be honest. 

But watching that game, the Packers looked like the better team. Not by a lot, but they looked better...And not surprising since we weren't playing good ball at that time. 

And now that Deebo is a monster in the running game, it completely changes things. 

Will Z be back for this game? I think Alexander is a lock or near lock to return but not sure about Smith. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This doesn't mean he will play for sure on Saturday but nice to see him in good spirits.

The man did come back after missing only one game from a high ankle sprain earlier in the season so can't rule him out. 

Damn, with how much pain he was in I thought for sure it was an ACL injury. Even if he can't go on Saturday it still beats an ACL tear. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Damn, with how much pain he was in I thought for sure it was an ACL injury. Even if he can't go on Saturday it still beats an ACL tear. 

Same.  I thought a few things just snapped. Especially since it was non contact

• Like 1