2022 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

10 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't get the Julio love.  It must be from people who haven't watched him play over the last few seasons.  Don't get me wrong, as many of you know I have stated Julio in his prime is one of the best WR's of the last 25 years and will be a sure fire HOFer.  A true elite #1.  

That being said he is a broken down shell of who he was in his prime.  He can't stay on the field due to nagging injuries and every year he has hamstring issues that plague him throughout the season.  Hard pass on Julio when that money can go towards someone younger and who can stay on the field.  

If we are to go after any injury plagued WR give me a 28 year old speedster like Fuller who is still in his prime and we can most likely sign relatively cheap. 

if we’re going to spend anymore money at this point, I need to go towards the corner and I think we all know which one I’m talking about

Fuller is just as injury prone.. obviously we’d have to do our medical homework on both but I’d still roll the dice on Jones’ pedigree and past production.. maybe he’s breaking down, maybe it was just a flukey couple years, but I would be fine either way with another addition, whether it be Julio, OBJ, Fuller, Ross.. all of them have their concerns but mixed with our current weapons, wouldn’t be depended on as a main threat but could bear the fruits of who they’re playing around. 

17 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

if we’re going to spend anymore money at this point, I need to go towards the corner and I think we all know which one I’m talking about

I agree that Bradberry should be the top priority as our CB unit is thin and the season is long.  Our Oline and WR corp is also thin and I would be on the hunt for a speedy player with upside potential while not costing much.  Fuller on a 1 year deal or Nelly, if cut, would be an attractive addition.  The price would have to be right on both though.  Julio hard pass, he should just hang them up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigD1123 said:

This. This is what I've been thinking all offseason. I think it's why we didn't draft a safety and why we only really went after Honey Badger and only signed Harmon. Great ball skills and a good tackler. He would probably make a very good safety.

When he was entering the draft a lot of draft nik sites had him projected as a FS, IIRC. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't get the Julio love.  It must be from people who haven't watched him play over the last few seasons.  Don't get me wrong, as many of you know I have stated Julio in his prime is one of the best WR's of the last 25 years and will be a sure fire HOFer.  A true elite #1.  

That being said he is a broken down shell of who he was in his prime.  He can't stay on the field due to nagging injuries and every year he has hamstring issues that plague him throughout the season.  Hard pass on Julio when that money can go towards someone younger and who can stay on the field.  

If we are to go after any injury plagued WR give me a 28 year old speedster like Fuller who is still in his prime and we can most likely sign relatively cheap. 

Trade for Darius Slayton if the Giants are really planning on keeping Toney. 

Give me Bradberry and then trade a future 5th or 6th to the Giants for Darius Slayton. Their WR room is crowded and is currently the most expensive group in the league, plus he could be the odd man out after they just signed Golladay and drafted a WR in the 1st/2nd over the last two seasons. Legit 4.3 speed on a cheap contract. 

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree that Bradberry should be the top priority as our CB unit is thin and the season is long.  Our Oline and WR corp is also thin and I would be on the hunt for a speedy player with upside potential while not costing much.  Fuller on a 1 year deal or Nelly, if cut, would be an attractive addition.  The price would have to be right on both though.  Julio hard pass, he should just hang them up!

I’d take Nelly back for sure

57 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Give me Bradberry and then trade a future 5th or 6th to the Giants for Darius Slayton. Their WR room is crowded and is currently the most expensive group in the league, plus he could be the odd man out after they just signed Golladay and drafted a WR in the 1st/2nd over the last two seasons. Legit 4.3 speed on a cheap contract. 

I've got a sneaky suspicion that we're gonna trade for someone who winds up an odd many out somewhere. Who, exactly, I'm not sure. 

Slayton, Nelly, someone else's 4th or 5th WR that's looking for a legit shot at redemption. 

With as active as we've been, I highly doubt the WR room is set in stone right now though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I've got a sneaky suspicion that we're gonna trade for someone who winds up an odd many out somewhere. Who, exactly, I'm not sure. 

Slayton, Nelly, someone else's 4th or 5th WR that's looking for a legit shot at redemption. 

With as active as we've been, I highly doubt the WR room is set in stone right now though. 

One thing that worries me is that the Patriots have been notoriously bad at identifying and developing WRs. 

The Patriots can save $4M if they move on from Nelly although I'm not sure that we can absorb his cap hit. 

Slayton seems to be the odd man out in NY, has 4.3 speed, has produced at a solid level, and only has a $2.5M cap hit, IIRC. 

I hope that we're not done with the WR room, I wasn't a huge Edwards fan but I still don't really get why we decided to move on from him after the draft. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't mind a deal like that.  Slayton is still only 25 and runs a sub 4.4 40.  He is underrated and was the victim of playing with Danny Pennies.  

Don’t think you can trade for Nelly. That cap number is almost 15 million. That is just way to high for the player he is. Trading Nelly obviously benefits the Pats cause it offers them the max savings in cap space and dead cap but any team who trades for him is making a bad decision. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I hope that we're not done with the WR room, I wasn't a huge Edwards fan but I still don't really get why we decided to move on from him after the draft. 

Agreed. 

Then again, maybe they tried to move him and were getting poor feedback on returns? 

Not much about Edwards' game fits what we've seen the Patriots have success with, so I'm not entirely shocked at that part of the move though. Just hope we have more of a plan than what we currently have in place.

11 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I wouldn't mind a deal like that.  Slayton is still only 25 and runs a sub 4.4 40.  He is underrated and was the victim of playing with Danny Pennies.  

They're reportedly shopping him and just drafted a similar player too. 

As reported by Dan Duggan of The Athletic, the Giants might be willing to trade wide receiver Darius Slayton in a salary cap move to free up some more space. The Giants still need to clear up some more considering they have to sign this year’s draft class so perhaps as the draft draws closer, they could pull something off.

11 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Agreed. 

Then again, maybe they tried to move him and were getting poor feedback on returns? 

Not much about Edwards' game fits what we've seen the Patriots have success with, so I'm not entirely shocked at that part of the move though. Just hope we have more of a plan than what we currently have in place.

One of the few things that you can criticize the Patriots about is their inability to find and develop guys at WR. That's one of the reasons their offense declined and why Brady ultimately wanted out. I wish we would've traded him before the draft if that's what the plan was going to be. They let him pay $50K to change his number and then traded him, lol.