NFC Championship Game GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Hard to play lights out without Trent. You're talking about starting Colton Mckivitz

I mean Trent didn't play in Week 18 and McKivitiz did enough in helping slow down that front. It'd be different if I had never seen him step up to the plate but the fact that I have, gives me some reassurance.

I'm more concerned with Compton. He was straight up owned by Gary last week. For the life of me I don't know what Jalen Moore did that Shanny & Co. lost complete faith in him besides getting injured. I feel like if they would have just stuck with him once he retuned from injury, he could have been like Ambry Thomas where he's hitting his rookie stride at the perfect time. I think they're going to put Miller on that ride side exclusively and just abuse Compton all evening. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I mean Trent didn't play in Week 18 and McKivitiz did enough in helping slow down that front. It'd be different if I had never seen him step up to the plate but the fact that I have, gives me some reassurance.

People forget that mckivitz gave up a huge 3rd down sack in the fourth quarter with two minutes that could have easily cost us the game in that finale. It was his second of the game given up. Several other pressures

It's easier to play lights out with Trent than mckivitz

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

People forget that mckivitz gave up a huge 3rd down sack in the fourth quarter with two minutes that could have easily cost us the game in that finale. It was his second of the game given up. Several other pressures

It's easier to play lights out with Trent than mckivitz

I didn't forget. Like I said he did enough. He's going to give up some pressures and a sack here and there. I mean he aint Trent. My thing is he looked respectable in the run game which to me, is just as vital to our success offensively as his pass pro. The better we are in the run game, especially on those stretch zone plays, the less we need to rely on Jimmy to convert 2nd/3rd & longs. 

They're going to get home some. That's just inevitable to me. Their front is just too good. I don't see anyway that doesn't happen. To me, our ability to run the ball consistently, especially outside the tackles, will be the key to our offensive output.

31 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I didn't forget. Like I said he did enough. He's going to give up some pressures and a sack here and there. I mean he aint Trent. My thing is he looked respectable in the run game which to me, is just as vital to our success offensively as his pass pro. The better we are in the run game, especially on those stretch zone plays, the less we need to rely on Jimmy to convert 2nd/3rd & longs. 

They're going to get home some. That's just inevitable to me. Their front is just too good. I don't see anyway that doesn't happen. To me, our ability to run the ball consistently, especially outside the tackles, will be the key to our offensive output.

This reminds me of the Justin Skule thing all over. I feel like people were pretty sure that he was fine because we won games while he was in there and he was just flat out awful. I'd disagree that surviving having to play him there is the same as "doing enough"...i mean, if we don't stop them on that three and out with a minute left to go, you can absolutely argue that he flat out lost us the game. 

So what's the baseline for "slowing down a front"? I don't feel like 2 sacks, a handful of pressures / hurries,  and a penalty is really doing that. Isn't that just a bad performance that the team overcame? Even in the run game... @J-ALL-DAY can probably call back on this better than I can given that he just rewatched  the game, but I feel almost certain that most of Mitchell's damage came after contact and the offensive line as a whole gave him relatively little to work with. 

• Like 1