Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Josh McDaniels is a very good play caller. Probably one of the elite play callers in the league.

Not sure about as a coach… but he can call plays.

If not for the McDaniels stuff from Denver in 2010 he’d be one of the hottest candidates available, and I get that the Denver stuff raises some concerns, but that was 11 years ago now. You’d like to think that he’s matured since then. I’m open to him getting another shot if he wants it here. 

Regardless of who our top target(s) are, I worry that we are gonna get used as leverage for some of the more desirable guys to get new deals where they already are. With Mel Tucker’s absurd deal I think there’s a great chance Ryan Day gets a 9-figure contract from OSU, and maybe Harbaugh too if he’s not looking to jump ship back to the NFL. At minimum we’d probably need to match his UM annual salary to entice him. Is that realistic for our ownership group? Remember we’ve never hired an experienced NFL HC before that wasn’t Halas hiring himself. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

@Madmike90

Another GM for McDaniels is Eliot Wolf. 

Spent years in GB in major roles for like 13 years (up to Director of Football Ops), was an Ast Gen Manager in CLE and has worked as a consultant for NE the last few years. 

Dude has a wealth of knowledge and is in my short list for GMs. 

Wolfe could be a candidate but there is no direct link to McDaniels himself and I am not sure Wolf would want to go somewhere that he won't have as much control as a traditional GM because to get McDaniels out of NE I suspect he would have a hand picked GM who gave him a lot of autonomy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Josh McDaniels is a very good play caller. Probably one of the elite play callers in the league.

Not sure about as a coach… but he can call plays.

When I read up about him it wasn't just the play calling that really stood up but his feel for situational football...something this current coaching staff doesn't understand at all.

•  

Since it's been asked why we can't have nice things and Mike and Shane believe our GM and HC positions are so highly ranked around the league I felt you should all read this.  You may change your minds.

Take this as you will guys.  I'm only gonna post the link since it's mostly Tweets that are difficult to copy and post but I think you'll get the general idea from reading them.  Just on more day in the life of the Phillips/McCaskey run Bears.

Bears fans slammed ownership for dysfunction involving Matt Nagy’s future

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bears-fans-slammed-ownership-dysfunction-042058606.html

0dc361debd29e95e7cc2ab0f4822b606

It was a whirlwind of a day for the Chicago Bears at Halas Hall on Tuesday, where head coach Matt Nagy was the center of speculation following a report that he was informed he would be fired after Thursday’s game against the Detroit Lions.

While Nagy refuted the report and Bears players and coaches handled the chaos well, a report from Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune indicated that the writing is on the wall for Nagy, who “offered little to make players believe he will be around much longer,” leaving them “dismayed” at the organization’s lack of direction.

Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune also noted a source told him the Bears’ “remarkable clumsy” handling of the situation at Halas Hall Tuesday likely didn’t go unnoticed by those around the NFL.

One source described the Bears brass’s handling of today as “remarkably clumsy,” noting that an organization’s professionalism in moments like these is judged at least somewhat leaguewide by other coaches, execs, etc.

While there’s been plenty of focus on Nagy’s imminent future, which looks to get more dismal with each passing hour, Bears fans pointed the blame in the direction of ownership — notably chairman George McCaskey and president Ted Phillips — for their handling of the entire mess.

Read on via the link my brothers.  There are many more Tweets from those who took time to chime in.  Truth be told if I was an NFL GM or HC prospect I'm thinking might be better off as an unarmed night watchman at a blood bank in Transylvania than to work for the Bears.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, soulman said:

Then it's imperative to stop handing out 5 year deals to a HC.  Do 4 years instead.

If by year three your team isn't on the right road you can 1) Fire the HC and pay off his remaining year, or 2) Keep him on while you decide on who should replace him.

Whenever a HC prospect like Nagy claims that it will take 4 years to teach his system to his team move on.  He's not your guy.  If when I was first hired as a division manager I said it would take 4 years for me to show a profit I would never have gotten the job.

Even under Nagy's formula had he ever shown progress each of his four years he'd be looking at an extension right now not the unemployment line.  I might go longer for a GM with a rep for being one of the NFLs top dogs but again I expect progress each year toward a specific goal.

If you are hiring a guy you are taking more of a gamble on you go short.   But anyone in demand can demand a longer contract.

I would probably do something like overpay on 6 year deal, with an option for me to bail after year 3 or lock it up for the 6.  Better than paying a guy not to coach for two or three years like Bears do all the time while he is fishing or something. 

I think the overall goal should be to create a program where one guy isn’t the driving force and it doesn’t die when you lose one or two guys.  But you need that one guy driving force to build it in first place.  

I wouldn’t be hiring or looking for HC or a hot coordinator.   I would be looking for a program builder.  

When I say program builder, I would take a guy like Bill Snyder or Jimmy Johnson, I would say like Lou Holtz but he was stubborn about accepting differences between pro and college game and was a bad choice, I would give Saban another shot if he wanted it, I don’t know why he would.  A guy like Pete Carroll.  To give recent examples.  Don’t take some nutball like a Ryan.  Take a steady hand and give him a solid GM who understands modern team building and will work with him, but not be a yes man.  

I gave CFB examples, but my preference would be a guy that understands pro game and wants to build a program.  Why my guy is McDaniels.  

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Why my guy is McDaniels.  

I think McDaniels is become more and more the smart all round choice...Moore could be more creative and a better play caller but McDaniels isn't far off...Daboll is loved by his players and has developed a super raw QB...McDaniels has developed QBs and some of his players love him (this is possibly his biggest weakness)...McDaniels has been a head coach in the past so has some experience but it was also so long ago that he will have learned plenty over the last decade...he probably have the best connections to other coaches of any candidate and should be able to bring an experienced bunch of teachers with him...he seems to have a bit of everything in his toolbox...like Belichick said where are the weaknesses because I don't see many.

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If you are hiring a guy you are taking more of a gamble on you go short.   But anyone in demand can demand a longer contract.

I would probably do something like overpay on 6 year deal, with an option for me to bail after year 3 or lock it up for the 6.  Better than paying a guy not to coach for two or three years like Bears do all the time while he is fishing or something. 

I have yet to hear of any deal for a HC that has a 6 year term with a team option to let him go after 3 years.  Anyone whose in demand would never take that deal to begin with.  Would you?

Ditka's original deal was 3 years and his extension was also 3 years.  Lovie's initial deal was 4 years.  GSH aside those are our two winningest HCs.  So maybe we should be looking at prospects who aren't high on everyone else's list again eh?  The two hottest prospects we hired (Wanny and Nagy) didn't do so well.  Well at least Nagy won't get an extension.

As messed up as this deal has become I wouldn't be shocked if all of the hot prospects turned them down or took other offers.  And as for a new GM now?  I'd say faggedaboutit.  Believe me when I say I think a whole lot of NFL talent wants nothing to do with this place.  Not the way this past year has been handled. Let Pace spend the next year trying to clean things up then decide on him and his future.

Put a 3 year deal on the table for all prospects and up it to four IF you feel you have to in order to get the guy you want and a staff you want.  No more 5 year deals.  The last two HCs should have been let go after 3 years but GMcC and Teddy were not gonna pick up the tab for two years of fishing time and pay another HC.  Three years optimum, four years max.  If he's any good he'll get his extension long before the first deal is up.

JA wanted Saban.  Saban wanted full control of player personnel and his coaching staff.  No Nick Saban.

Can you guys tell me that you don't believe Josh McDaniel would expect the same?  He did in Denver when he was only 33 years old and had far less SB rings.  If Pace is doing the hiring then I would expect that just like JA he will never agree to that kind of an arrangement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Read on via the link my brothers.  There are many more Tweets from those who took time to chime in.  Truth be told if I was an NFL GM or HC prospect I'm thinking might be better off as an unarmed night watchman at a blood bank in Transylvania than to work for the Bears.

I think that if they get rid of Phillips (or, he "retires"), then that changes things substantially, even if they bump Pace up to the role of president. And luckily for us, this may happen. 

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think McDaniels is become more and more the smart all round choice...

no-dont.gif

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If not for the McDaniels stuff from Denver in 2010 he’d be one of the hottest candidates available, and I get that the Denver stuff raises some concerns, but that was 11 years ago now. You’d like to think that he’s matured since then. I’m open to him getting another shot if he wants it here. 

The flakiness with the Indy situation a couple of years ago comes to mind, too. Adults generally don't outgrow being crazy and difficult to get along with. We have a crazy coach as it is. We certainly don't need another.

I can't disagree he'd probably do better than Nagy, though. But I think the bar should be set a little higher than that,,,

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think that if they get rid of Phillips (or, he "retires"), then that changes things substantially, even if they bump Pace up to the role of president. And luckily for us, this may happen. 

I think that's a dream we may as well dispose of.  How many people have been calling for it for how many years now?  Has it happened?  No  Will it happen any time soon?  No

Teddy Bears has presided over a gargantuan increase in McCaskey net worth.  He's the guy who handles the checkbook and the Bears are all the McCaskey Family owns.  GMcC is just as stubborn as he is inept.  Teddy Bears is going nowhere soon.

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The flakiness with the Indy situation a couple of years ago comes to mind, too. Adults generally don't outgrow being crazy and difficult to get along with. We have a crazy coach as it is. We certainly don't need another.

Flakiness aside I don't see any path to Josh McDaniel coming to Chicago.  What motivation would he have to leave a well oiled machine with it's own rookie QB who stats wise is smoking everyone else and take on this Lazarus like resurrection in Chicago?

We don't need Josh McDaniel.  We need Jesus Christ. 

15 minutes ago, soulman said:

Teddy Bears has presided over a gargantuan increase in McCaskey net worth.  He's the guy who handles the checkbook and the Bears are all the McCaskey Family owns.  GMcC is just as stubborn as he is inept.  Teddy Bears is going nowhere soon.

I dunno, man. 

Not only has it been rumored, but it's now being openly discussed in the media. We'll have to wait and see (of course), but it certainly feels closer to being a reality than at any other time in the past. 

15 minutes ago, soulman said:

We don't need Josh McDaniel.  We need Jesus Christ. 

Make Pace the president. 

Hire Rick Smith as the GM.

Matt Campbell

Daboll

Moore

(That's alphabetically, mind you. 🙂) Stay as far away as you can from Jim Harbaugh and Josh McDaniel. Ryan Day and Pat Fitzgerald are dark horses.

Don't know about defensive coordinator. Also, it would be nice if we could keep DeFilipo and Castillo...but we all know how these things go. 

You could argue that simply eliminating Nagy and replacing him with Tabor might actually work, too...