Pick the absolute best season for each of these quarterbacks

biggie.

Best year as in best season performance or like how good I think they are in a vacuum?  Because 07 Brady is his best season performance for example but I definitely think he was a better QB later on. 

Answer to the first is pretty easy:

04 Manning, 07 Brady, 11 Brees, 11 Rodgers.  

Answer to the second is a little harder.  

For Manning it's somewhere in the 06-09 stretch once he stopped getting happy feet all the time and could really hurt teams who pushed him outside the pocket.  Gun to my head I'd say 06, before the neck problems really started to affect the arm strength, and that season was a master class in situational football (his DVOA and the colts offense per drive performance are insane).

Brady really seems like he didn't lose much athletically as he got into his late 30s, so he just gets better and better with more experience, amd that doesn't really stop until around 2018-2019.  That puts it somewhere in the 2014-2017 stretch for me.  I'm pretty partial to 2014.  Post KC destruction he's getting all the "Brady's done, been a decade he'll never get another ring" talk, and then they're on to Cincinnati and he destroys the NFL for the next 1.5 years.  Really splitting hairs between those seasons though. 

Brees I'm not really sure.  His teams aren't really competitive after 2011 for the most part and by the time the defense is fixed his arm strength is gone, so what do we do with all those lost seasons?  And 2011 is just so good it might be the pick anyway.  Love his aggressiveness, he's mastered Payton's scheme, and they put in an all time offensive performance. 

Although Rodgers never quite got rid of the holding on to the ball too long and conservative throws problems, I think he definitely improved on them with time.  So you have to decide if that skill improvement is worth the lower playmaking rate with his legs outside the pocket because of age.  Do we still go with 2011?  2014?  2020?  Ugh.  I guess 2014 is a nice middle ground?

52 minutes ago, Jetzger said:

Brady really seems like he didn't lose much athletically as he got into his late 30s, so he just gets better and better with more experience, amd that doesn't really stop until around 2018-2019.  That puts it somewhere in the 2014-2017 stretch for me.  I'm pretty partial to 2014.  Post KC destruction he's getting all the "Brady's done, been a decade he'll never get another ring" talk, and then they're on to Cincinnati and he destroys the NFL for the next 1.5 years.  Really splitting hairs between those seasons though. 

I don't think Brady got better as he got older. The league's overall passing efficiency exploded from 2010-2015, and Brady was along for the ride. Brady was at his best 2007-2010. 

On 1/29/2022 at 9:40 PM, biggie. said:

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Aaron Rodgers

I think for both Brees and Rodgers, the default is their Super Bowl year. Statistically for Brees it was 2011, who in my mind would have beaten the Giants had they gotten past the Niners.