Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as HC

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

On par with what McDaniels has shown in his career. Exact opposite of Gruden in every sense when it comes to adaptability. How willingly he is to change his scheme and what he does to adjust to his QB was one of the main things I liked about him. Dudes scheme turned Matt Cassell into a very well paid QB that KC overpaid for lol. Look at what he did when Cam got to NE with the play calls. Looking forward to this very much 

19 hours ago, Jraider91 said:

Just a polite niceity, he isn't keeping any of them imo 

He was trying to prepare fans for a 3-4 switch by saying "it doesn't really matter what we doing in base because it's gonna be nickel mainly"

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mct288 said:

I like that there was no hesitation and that he was very clear and concise with that. There are clear roles here. I like it. 

Yes, exactly. Really pleasing to hear they have a sensible structure in place. Hopefully Mark learned a hard lesson.

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

If anything, Wilson is underrated on this forum. He’s in the same tier and same skillsets as Mahomes and Allen. And has put up remarkable results. Give him a real offensive coach for the first time in his entire career and see what he does. 

Also could care less about DVOA for QB’s. That is more of a team stat. 

He is underrated, I think he's a step above the over-rated Mahomes.

Rodgers, Wilson and Allen in that top tier for me then a gap. Wilson does more with less for me, love him as a player. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This is why stats don't tell the entire picture. He's played better, sure. But he is LEADING the team and they are rallying around their QB.

The 3rd and 7 play in the 4th quarter, Chris Jones has him dead to rights for a sack. He somehow slips it, gets out of the pocket. Jones is still on him, who dives and Burrow avoids his 2nd attempt to bring him down, then runs for a pivotal conversion. The drive leads to points. 

Playoff football is won with guts and determination. He displayed that several times in the win against KC. It won't show on the stat sheet, but it will be in his career highlights. 

This idea that QBs have to go out an be elite each week is such modern era BS. Did they get the win and did the QB make plays when he had to? Burrow, resounding yes. Flip side, Jimmy G folded under the pressure. 

True but on the other side of the field you got Mahomes forcing a pass in overtime and getting picked off. Guts is great but it needs to go hand in hand with some sense. 

Now I’m not saying I want boring 2 yard check down on 3rd and 10. Carr needs to find a balance and I’m hoping that JM is being honest when he says he wants the offense to be explosive. With teams like KC you beat them by not letting up, all gas and no brake. You don’t get up by 14 and just coast. 

22 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

A NE posted brought up a good point. McDaniels came in and traded Cutler away right away which alienated him and created a huge rift in the team. Some players were very upfront with their hate for him and that caused a ton of internal issues for Denver.

I hope the players man up and don't get all butt hurt about Rich B being gone.

Get rid of the malcontents who are overly critical of the hiring 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is why stats don't tell the entire picture. He's played better, sure. But he is LEADING the team and they are rallying around their QB.

The 3rd and 7 play in the 4th quarter, Chris Jones has him dead to rights for a sack. He somehow slips it, gets out of the pocket. Jones is still on him, who dives and Burrow avoids his 2nd attempt to bring him down, then runs for a pivotal conversion. The drive leads to points. 

Playoff football is won with guts and determination. He displayed that several times in the win against KC. It won't show on the stat sheet, but it will be in his career highlights. 

This idea that QBs have to go out an be elite each week is such modern era BS. Did they get the win and did the QB make plays when he had to? Burrow, resounding yes. Flip side, Jimmy G folded under the pressure. 

Burrow threw what could have been a backbreaking pick against the Chiefs if he D wasn't balling out. A truly terrible read & throw. If his D doesn't stop Mahomes/he doesn't have a brainfade end of the Q2 he gets blown out because he had played so terribly in the first half.

The big moments could happen because he D carried him to them. 

Against the Bengals he scored 19 points after his D forced 3 turnovers. 

4 hours ago, roi34 said:

I'm not saying Carr is elite, but god everyone acts like he's trash. the smartest move at the moment is to move forward with Carr with short extention 2 years.. and find your QB to groom under him.  Grab a trubisky for backup keep draft capital don't overpay carr and you have FA cap money as well. 

that way the next QB has team around him when he steps in ala Kc alex smith to mahomes. 

this trade carr and multiple 1sts makes no sense. you are the same people saying our talent isn't up to par with rest of league then want to trade picks (talent) for 1 guy which doesn't solve other issues and Ties up more cap.

everyone? come on dude.

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

On par with what McDaniels has shown in his career. Exact opposite of Gruden in every sense when it comes to adaptability. How willingly he is to change his scheme and what he does to adjust to his QB was one of the main things I liked about him. Dudes scheme turned Matt Cassell into a very well paid QB that KC overpaid for lol. Look at what he did when Cam got to NE with the play calls. Looking forward to this very much 

Agreed. That was one of the things that makes me feel the most optimistic about the hire. He has shown a willingness to adapt to new QB with completely different strengths and playing styles over the last two seasons.