49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wonder if we have to wait for the Watson decision to drop for Jimmy 

Either way we should get some sort of news tomorrow. I'm just not convinced all these teams are after Jimmy but just that we aren't getting great offers for him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

LB is not a position we need to spend money on right now. Unless you stumble upon a gem (Warner) who just too special to lose, you just draft one or two every other year and keep the train rolling. I never expected Greenlaw to see his second contract with us anyway. He outplayed his draft position. By a mile I should add. Kudos to the scouting department. You let some other team pay him top dollar once he hits the market, take the comp pick and bank on your college scouts can find you a comparable player. It's the Belichick model and it works if you believe in your scouting/college evaluators.

Sure which is why i say its not something we should go out to get but if we did i totally get it too. After the coming year we have two spots opening up because Al-Shaair is also on the ending of his contract. Can we draft two guys in the next two drafts?

And not to mention it's a move that can alter chemistry. You bring in Wagner, are you now moving Warner to the weakside?? Wagner is still great against the run but he isn't the meance against the pass like Warner. I don't take Warner out the middle so are we putting Wagner off the ball? That's not where he fits best. Are you taking him off the field in the nickel completely and going with either Greenlaw/Al@WLB?? Then that's a complete waste of 4-5 mil imo.

With Wagner and Warner you can play mix and match based on down and distance and you don't need to take anyone of them out. I fully expect Ryans to take full advantage of both if we would have both. Especially in the current NFL playing 4-2-5 is basically the way you line up most of the time. The impact a Wagner can have is worth 4-5 mil. 4-5 mil is basically average NFL salary which for a top 5 LB no matter what you already have in place is a great get.

Our LB sync well with our front seven and our safeties. They're all great in coverage, quick and cover alot of ground. Bringing in a guy like Wagner doesn't move the needle enough imo. His presence doesn't put us over the top or make that unit exponentially better. He's still better against the run than Warner, even at this stage of his career. But it's not like that slight upgrade makes the defense scarier. We were pretty good against the run last year, all things considered.

Honestly for that pricepoint there is nobody that is going to put this defense over the top. No corner, edge,safety we sign for that money from the outside is making that significant of an impact or you must get really lucky with someone really wanting to sign that one year prove it deal which while nice doesn't make us better 2/3 years from now. This move to me isn't just about the upcoming year because with Lance i think the last two years of his rookie deal will be much more important to us which is where you will be losng Greenlaw and Al-Shaair so having Wagner locked in would help us. 

To me its the same as when i see people wanting to sign 10/15m a year corners or big name receivers. Would they improve us? Sure but the amount of change they will make for the money is not worth it for me. In general give me those under the radar trades and signings we have been doing through the years over the big ticket names that mostly dissapoint after being signed. 

• Like 1

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Weird wording two other teams are interested even tho they can't "talk yet". Lol, anyway what are the chances 49ers are ok with Sudfeld as the #2? 

I mean, that's a weird deal for a qb3, but going to lie. 

But a team that has been crushed by QB injuries can't seriously go into the season with sudfeld as the main backup. Especially with the guys available

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, that's a weird deal for a qb3, but going to lie. 

But a team that has been crushed by QB injuries can't seriously go into the season with sudfeld as the main backup. Especially with the guys available

Yeah, I agree 2 million guaranteed 😬. My guess is they bring in a low-end 2 to compete with Sudfeld for the #2 role. 

Ok, don't be surprised if the 49ers bring in Brian Hoyer. Would kind of make sense with how they are trying to shape the QB room. Extreme experience with Shanahan's offense. This to me feels like a super Shanahan type of move. Lol, which is a bad #2 but a good #3.

I also think Sudfeld had to be brought back might have been the reason to overpay for him. Sudfeld will be the only familiar face in the QB room from last season. Someone Lance already has a connection and or trusts. Im not saying he should be QB#2 at all. Lol

Edited by 49erurtaza

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Weird wording two other teams are interested even tho they can't "talk yet". Lol, anyway what are the chances 49ers are ok with Sudfeld as the #2? 

Technically he doesn't have to wait till FA, since he ended the season on the teams practice squad, he's considered a street free agent, free to sign anywhere.

• Like 1