49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times joined Willard and Dibs on 95.7 the Game in San Francisco and said the Buccaneers don’t like the fit with Garoppolo in head coach Bruce Arians’ offense.

“I would say none,” Stroud said when asked how much interest Tampa Bay has in Garoppolo. “I’ve talked to them about him, and … what was told to me is, ‘Yeah. He’d be great if you’re gonna commit to running the football 40 times a game.

“With Bruce they’re gonna try to attack down the field, and Jimmy is not a good deep ball thrower percentage-wise for sure. What was said to me was, ‘Look if he could throw the deep ball they’d have won two Super Bowls already.’ So, I don’t expect the Bucs to trade for Jimmy Garoppolo.”

So Ian Rap's interview on the 49ers channel made it seem like it is going to be very hard for a trade to take place with Jimmy's shoulder operation coming soon. To that I say fine, it sucks but whatever. Our positions of need in the draft can still be fulfilled in the 2nd and mid rounds and we just need to spend on a position like edge or CB in free agency. Not a lot of needs but can improve the depth and get a key contributor in free agency.

We relied on Jimmy having a good season and staying healthy....He was definitely solid in terms of play but could not sustain his health for the entirety of the season. Surprise surprise!!!

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Ian Rap's interview on the 49ers channel made it seem like it is going to be very hard for a trade to take place with Jimmy's shoulder operation coming soon. To that I say fine, it sucks but whatever. Our positions of need in the draft can still be fulfilled in the 2nd and mid rounds and we just need to spend on a position like edge or CB in free agency. Not a lot of needs but can improve the depth and get a key contributor in free agency.

We relied on Jimmy having a good season and staying healthy....He was definitely solid in terms of play but could not sustain his health for the entirety of the season. Surprise surprise!!!

so his health still screws us in the end! Oh well...

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

so his health still screws us in the end! Oh well...

I mean that was always the risk with this plan....Still worked out that we made a SB run with Jimmy and Lance got time to sit (though you can argue if this was truly good or bad for him). If he had not suffered those two injuries late in the season, he would have finished playing better and healthier and then no doubt could have gotten us a 2nd rounder or multiple 3rd rounders. Now? Just a thank you for your service note on the way out lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's fine. Cut him, float the 7.5M until he signs with someone (hopefully he makes at least 7.5) and we will get it back later. 

I assume that Yee and Jimmy just wanted to have control

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's fine. Cut him, float the 7.5M until he signs with someone (hopefully he makes at least 7.5) and we will get it back later. 

I assume that Yee and Jimmy just wanted to have control

Yeah, and honestly this is a game and they won this round of the battle. Fair play to them, they don't owe the Niners anything. Maybe the team willing to give up compensation for Jimmy is not the team he wants to go to so he rather be free to sign in free agency. 

I'm pretty sure this account has fake info but I don't hate the idea. The guy knows the offense extremely well. He has shown to be a great back up for Mac Jones. He doesn't match Lance skill set that Kyle has talked about previous about back up Qbs. He will be a lot cheaper then Tyrod who will probably get 5-7 million compared to Hoyer that might get 2 million. 

14 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm pretty sure this account has fake info but I don't hate the idea. The guy knows the offense extremely well. He has shown to be a great back up for Mac Jones. He doesn't match Lance skill set that Kyle has talked about previous about back up Qbs. He will be a lot cheaper then Tyrod who will probably get 5-7 million compared to Hoyer that might get 2 million. 

That account is fake. Allbright craps all over that account frequently. 

Hoyer is terrible. I dont like the idea of signing someone to be a second QB coach so to speak. Just hire better coaches. If Trey gets hurt, I would rather play literally anyone else besides hoyer.

Give me Huntley or someone like Josh Johnson over hoyer. 

Edited by N4L

2 hours ago, N4L said:

That account is fake. Allbright craps all over that account frequently. 

Hoyer is terrible. I dont like the idea of signing someone to be a second QB coach so to speak. Just hire better coaches. If Trey gets hurt, I would rather play literally anyone else besides hoyer.

Give me Huntley or someone like Josh Johnson over hoyer. 

Yeah that's what I said about the account having fake info. Also it's possible Hoyer signed as #3 QB/PS if they did sign him. I agree you can't count on him if he needs to play to win a game, would prefer other options by far. As I said I don't hate the idea. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, and honestly this is a game and they won this round of the battle. Fair play to them, they don't owe the Niners anything. Maybe the team willing to give up compensation for Jimmy is not the team he wants to go to so he rather be free to sign in free agency. 

I’m sorry, but I honestly cannot see us getting to the point where we cut him. I just find it hard that, even with the surgery, that no team would trade a draft pick for the guy. I’m not his biggest fan, but Jimmy G has shown to be a competent QB/ leader for a football team and one that could lead a talented team to the playoffs. He may be average, but that’s still better than 1/3 of the starters currently out there.

I understand the cap hit they would take on, but I think that is something that would be re-negotiated with the new team.

im betting he gets traded before FA

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I’m sorry, but I honestly cannot see us getting to the point where we cut him. I just find it hard that, even with the surgery, that no team would trade a draft pick for the guy. I’m not his biggest fan, but Jimmy G has shown to be a competent QB/ leader for a football team and one that could lead a talented team to the playoffs. He may be average, but that’s still better than 1/3 of the starters currently out there.

I understand the cap hit they would take on, but I think that is something that would be re-negotiated with the new team.

I mean he can still get traded for sure. But with him having that surgery plus teams knowing he will get released, there is no reason for a team to give up a good pick for him. And if we are only getting offered a 5th or 6th rounder, the team may just release Jimmy so he can go to a team he wants to go to. They want to do right by him. 

15 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

It's a time issue and a demand issue, is all. 

If we get anything, it's going to be a fairly negligible amount at this point, I think...so I'm not really all that concerned if we do end up cutting him. 

If I were a team that needed a QB, I'm not sure how comfortable I am giving up a bunch of money for a guy that can't pass a physical and I'm unsure of how well his shoulder is responding to the surgery. I don't even think he's getting the surgery until next week and he's got to be off the a few days after that for free agency start. He can't be in mandatory minis, OTAs...can't throw a football for 4 months. 

Possible that someone would still have a lot of interest in him, and if they do, he'll get moved. But also possible that teams will press the 49ers and call their bluff that we would keep him on the roster past FA open. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It's a time issue and a demand issue, is all. 

If we get anything, it's going to be a fairly negligible amount at this point, I think...so I'm not really all that concerned if we do end up cutting him. 

If I were a team that needed a QB, I'm not sure how comfortable I am giving up a bunch of money for a guy that can't pass a physical and I'm unsure of how well his shoulder is responding to the surgery. I don't even think he's getting the surgery until next week and he's got to be off the a few days after that for free agency start. He can't be in mandatory minis, OTAs...can't throw a football for 4 months. 

Possible that someone would still have a lot of interest in him, and if they do, he'll get moved. But also possible that teams will press the 49ers and call their bluff that we would keep him on the roster past FA open. 

Tbh the only team I actually see trading for Jimmy is the Commanders. I don't see the Steelers wanting Jimmy at his cost, I can see them signing him if he's cut. Broncos seem to be going after Mitch Trubisky if Arod isn't available. Bucs won't trade for Jimmy not a fit. Panthers I doubt trade for Jimmy with Dornald at 18 million fully guaranteed. If we don't hear anything by the end of next week about Jimmy being moved I think he's going to get cut. He won't be on this roster come the new league year.  I'm about 70 percent sure he gets cut. 

Raiders would be interesting spot for Jimmy if we cut him and they move Carr for a first round pick. Steelers, Bucs and Commanders my guess would have interest. Also note would Josh McDaniels trade a 5th for Jimmy?

Edited by 49erurtaza