Joe Burrow vs Justin Herbert

Plat2

Who would you pick to start a team>  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Herbert or Burrow

• Herbert
    • Burrow

I’ve said this before but Oregon did no favors for Herbert. He had multiple OCs that didn’t know how to use him properly and implemented gimmicky schemes that hurt his development. If he was in a pro style system like Burrow, he would be further along mentally. I think 2022 is the year Herbert finally puts it all together.

Edited by Xenos

these kind of threads are so ******* stupid.. 

This season their stats are very similar, Herbert has more yards, Joe has a better QB rating and the second best completion percentage ever.

And anyone saying Joe has been terrible in the playoffs is just clowning.. any QB under the pressure he has been under would not have great stats. 

Both are great young QB's.... Burrow is in the Super Bowl, Herbert didn't make the playoffs.. I'll take Joe

Oh yeah   WhoDey 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fluhartz said:

these kind of threads are so ******* stupid.. 

This season their stats are very similar, Herbert has more yards, Joe has a better QB rating and the second best completion percentage ever.

And anyone saying Joe has been terrible in the playoffs is just clowning.. any QB under the pressure he has been under would not have great stats. 

Both are great young QB's.... Burrow is in the Super Bowl, Herbert didn't make the playoffs.. I'll take Joe

Oh yeah   WhoDey 

His O line sucks, but man- he has some incredible weapons. Chase is elite already. Mixon is a good RB. Then you have Boyd and Higgins.

I mean- Chase alone turned a quick screen pass into 50 yards against Tenn. Not many WRs would've turned that play into 50 yards. He makes a couple guys miss, then peace. So, while his o line is trash- he isn't in a situation like Tua. He has one of the best WR cores in football. And during these playoffs he's been able to lean on his defense A LOT. They're the MVP for that team so far  during the playoffs because the Bengals offense just hasn't been clicking these past two games.

If Cincy can bolster up that line, then watch out. Nobody is going to be asking 'Who Dey'. We'll know exactly who they are, and that's a bona fide contender for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

This is just bad.

He makes a lot of good points. Many of which I noticed watching the playoffs. I don't agree Burrow has been bad. Garoppolo has been bad. Burrow has been average-to-pretty-good, but he has had some careless sacks and has been careless with the football, but he's a young QB, so all is forgiven.

What I can't accept is people using the fact Burrow is in the Superbowl as a reason to say he is going to be better than Herbert. That's shortsighted. The Bengals defense is the undisputed #1 reason they're in the Superbowl. There's really no debating that. If Burrow were having playoff games like Allen this year or 2019 Mahomes, then I'd also be right on that bandwagon with those people, but he hasn't been in the same stratosphere as those two during this campaign.

That's not meant to be a diss, either. Burrow is, without a doubt, one of the best young QBs coming up. I take no issues with people choosing him over Herbert long term. Both are on the brink of being elite for a long time and, as I've said numerous times, if they can fix that o line for Burrow- then Cincy will be a contender for the foreseeable future, and a team many teams won't want to play.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

This is a lazy take. You need to watch film. Stop using team result and isolating it to individual contribution.

In the 2 games Cincy beat KC, they held KC to 6 points in 5 quarters. That wasnt Burrow.

Burrow had 40 yds, 0 tds, 1 int and another dropped int in 4th & OT. Burrow has been avg to bad in the playoffs.also in the regular season he played the easiest SOS for team record and the easiest pass defense schedule.

He had 3 games out of 16 that heavily inflated his numbers.

Joe is very good. Herbert is considerably better.

Sounds like a lot of excuse making to me, one got the job one under extreme circumstances (worst OL in the NFL) and the other didn't. 

Both are the future of the NFL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Sounds like a lot of excuse making to me, one got the job one under extreme circumstances (worst OL in the NFL) and the other didn't. 

Both are the future of the NFL

The Bengals were a more well rounded team than the Chargers. Herbert had a better OL, but the Bengals had the better defense and ST. If Herbert had an average or bad game, it usually meant we would lose. Whereas, Burrow had a little more cushion if he didn’t have a great day. We were literally separated by one regular season win.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xenos said:

The Bengals were a more well rounded team than the Chargers. Herbert had a better OL, but the Bengals had the better defense and ST. If Herbert had an average or bad game, it usually meant we would lose. Whereas, Burrow had a little more cushion if he didn’t have a great day. We were literally separated by one regular season win.

The Chargers are also in a much tougher division. The Chiefs are far and away better than BAL, CLE, and PIT. The raiders are better than those three teams, too. Denver was a similar caliber team as BAL and CLE while only being slightly worse than PIT.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

The Chargers are also in a much tougher division. The Chiefs are far and away better than BAL, CLE, and PIT. The raiders are better than those three teams, too. Denver was a similar caliber team as BAL and CLE while only being slightly worse than PIT.

I think Burrow, Allen, Mahomes, and Herbert are the future. Outside of Mahomes, it’s important that the other three continued to be taking care of. Better OL to protect Burrow for example. Better defensive and ST help for Herbert so he doesn’t feel like he has to play hero ball so much when we’re down.

19 hours ago, biggie. said:

Burrow simply because his intangibles trickles down to the rest of the team.

I think this gets lost in the stats.  Burrow has essentially flipped the culture of the franchise in two years.  He didn't do it alone, but he has by far been the biggest factor of it.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:11 AM, WizeGuy said:

He makes a lot of good points.

No, he doesn't.

Burrow has been average-to-pretty-good

He hasn't been great statistically on this run, but he hasn't had the chance to be. It's impossible to shine under the constant pressure that Burrow has received these playoffs. No current great QB, not Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes etc. would be flourishing within these circumstances. Regardless, he's stepped up and has made great plays when it matters, and has done what was necessary to win us games. When Burrow gets a semblance of an offensive line this offseason, then you will see the superstar shine through.

he has had some careless sacks

I assume you are referencing the Tennessee game in particular, in which upon further review, really only a fraction of the 9 sacks taken were on Burrow. Here's a link detailing each sack:

Has he taken a few careless sacks? Yes. But that is the risk that comes with having a QB who is capable of making magic off script. It's the same risk taking that has contributed to this SB run. It's the same risk taking that makes Mahomes and Josh Allen some of leagues best QBs. We would not have beaten the Chiefs if Burrow didn't evade rushers (Chris Jones free up the middle) and rush for first downs to sustain drives. It's something you live a die by. Hopefully with experience he'll be able to eliminate the egregious ones. But like you said, he's young and learning.

has been careless with the football

I mean, I just don't think there's any evidence to support that. He's turned the ball over twice in three games and one of which was a dropped pass. He's also had zero fumbles in 12 sacks taken and almost always has two hands on the football. He's had an errant throw here or there in his 109 attempts (the throwaway attempt versus KC was not good, and I believe Jackrabbit Jenkins also dropped a pick), but overall he's protected the ball very well.

What I can't accept is people using the fact Burrow is in the Superbowl as a reason to say he is going to be better than Herbert. That's shortsighted.

On that we can very much agree.

The Bengals defense is the undisputed #1 reason they're in the Superbowl. There's really no debating that. If Burrow were having playoff games like Allen this year or 2019 Mahomes, then I'd also be right on that bandwagon with those people, but he hasn't been in the same stratosphere as those two during this campaign.

The defense is one of the reasons. Burrow is another. One doesn't go without the other. 

Look, I'm not going to sit here and sing Burrow's praises like he is carrying the team right now. He's not. I'm also not going to use this run to leapfrog Burrow over Herbert, that isn't fair either. Most of the Burrow hype right now is coming from talking heads, because leading up to the SB, what else do they have to talk about? Of course the Heisman-winning, former #1 overall pick is going to get his praises sung over a nameless defense. But to downplay Burrow's season because his "stats are padded by a few games" is ridiculous. I will not stand for it. He hasn't been great, but he certainly hasn't been "bad to average".