2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

On 4/8/2022 at 10:42 AM, Trojan said:

Elijah Moore and Corey Davis are a good start and Berrios is fine rotationally. 

Yeah I'm not sure why the Jets are so dead set on adding another high priced, high profile WR this offseason. They just paid Corey Davis last year who had his moments and Elijah Moore came on strong at the end of the season, neither guy could stay healthy though. It's a pretty deep WR class, I'd probably just trade back out of #10 and then target another WR later in the first round. 

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Cooks is staying in Houston.

It shouldn’t necessarily…for contending teams it locked in his price.

Texans would be dumb to hold onto him especially since they’re not competing this year or probably next year as well…especially if you could at least a 2nd for him.

Edited by AFF

10 minutes ago, AFF said:

It shouldn’t necessarily…for contending teams it locked in his price.

Texans would be dumb to hold onto him especially since they’re not competing this year or probably next year as well…especially if you could at least a 2nd for him.

With $36mm guaranteed at signing (as reported) the cap hit on that would be astronomical - 2nd largest in history next to Matt Ryan. The Texans would be dumber to sign a guy to only take on a $30mm dead cap hit by moving him for a 2nd round pick (maybe a 1st would be worth the mammoth dead cap hit, but Cooks isn’t going for a 1st). Even a post June 1st trade would net out a $15mm cap hit this season and next season. Texans already have $35mm in dead cap - taking on another $30mm would literally leave them with no cap to sign their rookie class.

Cooks is productive, but is also a steady presence in the locker room (a locker room that’s going to have a lot more rookies than usual) and is really the only presence on the offense that’s going to determine whether or not Davis Mills is a long term answer at QB. He’s also on the record saying he doesn’t want to be traded (he’s been traded three different times, hard to blame him for not wanting to pick up on someone else’s decision) and he’s a personal friend of Jack Easterby (which means he’s a made man, in essence).

Brandin Cooks is a Texan for the next three years - it simply makes no economical sense to move him, just as the Texans start emerging from the rubbish that Bill O’Brien created as a GM.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

With $36mm guaranteed at signing (as reported) the cap hit on that would be astronomical. The Texans would be dumber to sign a guy to only take on a $30mm dead cap hit by moving him for a 2nd round pick (maybe a 1st would be worth the mammoth dead cap hit, but Cooks isn’t going for a 1st). Even a post June 1st trade would net out a $15mm cap hit this season and next season. Texans already have $35mm in dead cap - taking on another $30mm would literally leave them with no cap to sign their rookie class.

Cooks is productive, but is also a steady presence in the locker room (a locker room that’s going to have a lot more rookies than usual) and is really the only presence on the offense that’s going to determine whether or not Davis Mills is a long term answer at QB. He’s also on the record saying he doesn’t want to be traded (he’s been traded three different times, hard to blame him for not wanting to pick up on someone else’s decision) and he’s a personal friend of Jack Easterby (which means he’s a made man, in essence).

Oh I did t realize the guaranteed $$$ was that high…yea, he’s staying.

• Like 1

Just now, AFF said:

Oh I did t realize the guaranteed $$$ was that high…yea, he’s staying.

Yeah, it was a statement deal - if you’re in with Easterby, you get paid.

(pure speculation on my end, but it seems like that’s the case…)

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, it was a statement deal - if you’re in with Easterby, you get paid.

(pure speculation on my end, but it seems like that’s the case…)

Nick seems to be doing a decent job, right? Just from what I can tell from afar. Seems like he has stopped all the shenanigans (Watkins, Hopkins, weird meetings, etc) so far.

24 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Nick seems to be doing a decent job, right? Just from what I can tell from afar. Seems like he has stopped all the shenanigans (Watkins, Hopkins, weird meetings, etc) so far.

I can’t speak to the meetings - those could still be happening. I’ll say this though: I’ve found a new respect for Nick Caserio. He conducted himself very well with the Deshaun Watson trade (better than most GMs who would have a player weaponize their NTC, at least).

Hearing him talk about his strategy and thought process through the ordeal was also very enlightening. He has a holistic view of roster management, but layers that on your basic “need vs value” thoughts. He uses real use cases outside of football to validate his decisions. I hate to say it (because this is construed as support for the franchise - believe me, it’s not) but he’s an incredibly sharp guy and - so far - looks like he’s got a plan to execute. 

This being said, he also oversaw the hiring and firing of David Culley, and was apparently very close to getting Josh McCown as his HC (before the Brian Flores lawsuit hit when it did). The audible to Lovie over McCown and Flores was poorly executed - I’ll concede it was an unprecedented situation, but it could have been handled with better tacit. (Better still, don’t try to get cute and bring in McCown to begin with…)

So, I’m giving him the draft to solidify my thoughts on him. I want him to succeed, he’s a bright guy - he’d be somebody I’d love to watch film with, just to pick his brain - but this draft will tell me more about him.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

and was apparently very close to getting Josh McCown as his HC

Was this ever addressed from the home office? Was it actually credible or was it just media BS? Do YOU believe it had legs?

I say this coming from my perspective as a Cowboys fan were literally every big name FA/trade gets linked to us and repeated ad nauseum and 99% its all crap. I cant tell you how many "X player spent the whole weekends at Jerrys" only for it to turn out we never even spoke to them. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Was this ever addressed from the home office? Was it actually credible or was it just media BS? Do YOU believe it had legs?

Lovie brought it up in his introductory presser, said he “loves” Josh McCown and would love to have him on his staff (that never materialized, though).

The Texans themselves announced the interviews on their Twitter account (he was a candidate during the David Culley interviews, too):

Either a marketing intern is going rogue, or this was an actual discussion.

• Like 1