2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Bold new strategy you’re employing here…

lol

Had it not been for the surgery, he would have been moved and probably for an okay pick. 

The surgery (and Yee and Jimmy's decision to wait until now because.....reasons) just blows a trade completely up if I'm thinking about it pragmatically. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Youll get a 3rd round comp out of it

I wanted us to draft him. What type of payday are Jags fans expecting?

Pretty hard to tell tbh. Had that big year a couple years ago then underwhelmed in 2020/got hurt last year. I’d love to bring him back still, but seems like he may want a change of scenery given everything that’s happened since he’s been here.

Wouldnt shock me if he’s looking for between 11-13M per.

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know what is going on here. Not even a franchise tag? What are the Pats doing? 

I could be wrong, but don't they have to have enough cap space to cover the tag cost in real time, since he'd be top 50 or whatever.  They have less than $10  mill in space and the tag is well north of that.

Just now, INbengalfan said:

I could be wrong, but don't they have to have enough cap space to cover the tag cost in real time, since he'd be top 50 or whatever.  They have less than $10  mill in space and the tag is well north of that.

The cap for a move like that isn't a real thing though. 

They can be over the cap right now. A number of teams are. Then you just make moves you need to make to get under (which may include a tag and trade on Jackson). 

33 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

They usually dont franchise a player they don't think is worth the money. Its a frustrating strategy at times, but it comes with the potential for the market to not be as lucrative as the player thinks. Its worked out before, but not this time. JC is gonna be overpaid for sure. 

I could see how that makes sense. 

But I agree...he's going to make a ton lol 

47 minutes ago, Forge said:

They can be over the cap right now. A number of teams are. Then you just make moves you need to make to get under (which may include a tag and trade on Jackson). 

Doesn’t the money get held up if he doesn’t sign? 

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Doesn’t the money get held up if he doesn’t sign? 

Yeah, but what I was saying was that basically you can be over right now, and make other moves to get under.  IF they aren't doing that, it must be that they already have some people in mind to bring in via free agency...but that also means that they may not see the comp benefits. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, but what I was saying was that basically you can be over right now, and make other moves to get under.  IF they aren't doing that, it must be that they already have some people in mind to bring in via free agency...but that also means that they may not see the comp benefits. 

Doable, but I don’t think NE wants to walk into FA with no wiggle room. 

The Pats hardly use the tag, even on No brainers. They won’t bid against themselves. Usually the player comes back and says “this is what I got offered” and gives the Pats a chance to match or outbid. May or may not be the case here, I can’t imagine NE is going to get anywhere near his market value.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So when does the top 50 or whatever salaries have to be under the cap?

Just now, INbengalfan said:

So when does the top 50 or whatever salaries have to be under the cap?

Start of the league year in 2 weeks, I believe. 

Truthfully, I've always assumed that's why the franchise tag deadlines happen beforehand. 

Just now, Forge said:

Start of the league year in 2 weeks, I believe. 

Truthfully, I've always assumed that's why the franchise tag deadlines happen beforehand. 

Ok  Thanks.  I thought the league year started before free agency.  Even if the tags are applied before the new year starts, that would only give a team a few days to get back under.  Which is why I thought teams couldn't use a tag without having the available cap space to do so.

@Forge I don’t think our shared dreams of a Jimmy trade are dead yet. Might just be my gold colored glasses perspective but even with the surgery there are a half dozen teams who need to do something at QB. That said, if the desire for Trubs or even Winston suits the needs for two of the teams, likely as just a bandaid for a year but regardless, than that still leaves 4 teams. If the big market QB names stay with their teams then these remaining teams will look to a class with not a lot of start from day 1 talent looking back at them. I doubt any of these remaining teams will want to get into a bidding war for Jimmy’s services or guarantee him good money over the course of some years if he were a FA. I imagine they’ll want to move off of him with relative ease if/when he’s not what they’re looking for. The 1 year on his deal at a relatively tame number for a starting QB might actually work in our favor along this line of thinking. Now the return value of sending a post-surgery Jimmy won’t be great, but really anything at this point along with the cap space I think is a win. Keep the faith.

Edited by Fureys49ers