Who will trade for/sign Jimmy G?

WheatieMan

Just now, Forge said:

The franchise is going to do right by him. He said that he sat down with Lynch and they talked about it and he just wants to go to a team trying to win. @J-ALL-DAY brought it up before in our forum, but there's a decent chance that the team would even take less compensation to give him what he want. This front office is very, very big on being player friendly, so they probably asked him for a list of teams he would prefer to go to. 

As a Bucs fan, I have nothing but love for John Lynch.  Always been a class person.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

New Orleans, too, perhaps but I think they stick with Jameis rather than trade for Jimmy G. 

The biggest problem with NO is that they don't even have a head coach right now, so I have zero idea what kind of player they are looking for. 

The other problem with NO is that there may actually be more teams in on Winston than we project, and if that is the case, it's very, very easy to push the Saints out of the running for his services (financially speaking). It's actually easier for them to acquire Jimmy and restructure the deal than to think that they can compete on an open market for a guy like Winston. 

The whole Saints situation is freaking bonkers lol. Just an insane cap situation

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I don't see how he's a good fit for any team with SB contending aspirations. The 49ers have one of the best rosters in the league not including QB and they are moving on. The Texans make the most sense if they want a QB for a year in a down QB class.

Because the options are pretty thin if you think you have the roster to compete and other guys aren't going to be available. Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr? They aren't going anywhere imo. Rodgers / Wilson / Watson are obviously the big three to keep an eye on. They should obviously be anyone's primary target, but we really don't know. There's seriously a world where Jimmy G ends up the second best QB getting moved this off season (I could say the best, but I do think at least one of those big three is moved by the draft), and if you're a decent team with a sudden QB problem, then you're just sort of stuck. 

I don't think the mentality of NFL teams is, "well, we are just going to punt the season rather than make this move for Jimmy G because the value isn't there".  I mean, that's what I would do  lol, but I think that's more of a fan thing than anything else lol. We just saw this play out with the Colts last year, to be honest. That's not how a team like the Bucs are going to approach the season. I would imagine the same for a team like the Saints, who's roster is actually quite good and there is now suddenly a power vacuum in the division. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Because the options are pretty thin if you think you have the roster to compete and other guys aren't going to be available. Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr? They aren't going anywhere imo. Rodgers / Wilson / Watson are obviously the big three to keep an eye on. They should obviously be anyone's primary target, but we really don't know. There's seriously a world where Jimmy G ends up the second best QB getting moved this off season (I could say the best, but I do think at least one of those big three is moved by the draft), and if you're a decent team with a sudden QB problem, then you're just sort of stuck. 

I don't think the mentality of NFL teams is, "well, we are just going to punt the season rather than make this move for Jimmy G because the value isn't there".  I mean, that's what I would do  lol, but I think that's more of a fan thing than anything else lol. We just saw this play out with the Colts last year, to be honest. That's not how a team like the Bucs are going to approach the season. I would imagine the same for a team like the Saints, who's roster is actually quite good and there is now suddenly a power vacuum in the division. 

I agree with all of this.  Bucs won 24 games and 5 playoff games the last 2 seasons.  Me as a fan, I'm like sure just be patient and roll with Trask see what happens.  Our HC is almost 70, they will re sign Godwin and some if their other FAs  and the NFC South is a mess.  Team is definitely not in "be patient" mode right now.  Heck, they signed Brady at 42, after he threw a pick 6 against the Titans.  Bucs will be players in the QB movement market for sure.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm not suggesting punting on the season. If Jimmy G was a FA then I'd have no issues with a team signing him as their starter for a ST answer. But the issue is you are having to trade a likely premium pick to get a QB that inevitably won't be your long-term answer or be good enough to elevate a good team (Pittsburgh, NO, Tampa, etc) to a SB contender. That seems like a terrible use of resources.

21 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

There are certainly teams looking for a starting QB, with Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Denver leading the pack.  The question is whether they want to pay that much money to Garoppolo in addition to that much draft capital for Garoppolo.  As opposed to drafting a franchise QB of their own choosing.  Even more so than GMs, coaches love a challenge.  (By my calculation, there are 2½ QBs available in the 2022 draft who can probably do the job.)

I can see a needy team offering a token draft pick for JimmyG but I assume we're talking about something more substantial.

I mean if a team rather draft a rookie QB, they can do that. I never said otherwise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm not suggesting punting on the season. If Jimmy G was a FA then I'd have no issues with a team signing him as their starter for a ST answer. But the issue is you are having to trade a likely premium pick to get a QB that inevitably won't be your long-term answer or be good enough to elevate a good team (Pittsburgh, NO, Tampa, etc) to a SB contender. That seems like a terrible use of resources.

Fans tend to overvalue draft picks. A late second or early third isn't really a premium asset, imo. I think that's probably the top of his value range (don't think he's getting a first). Maybe he gets the Darnold trade from last year? He's not getting the Wentz deal. My hope has mostly been for the 2013 Alex smith trade (second + conditional pick) but I think a limited market will hurt that. 

He wants a winning situation....so that sort of eliminates a few teams, one would think. 

I'd say the possibilities are:

Denver

Green Bay

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

New Orleans

Tampa Bay

Indianapolis

Tennessee

Carolina if he feels good about them

Miami

Washington

If I had to wager, I'd say the top 5 are Denver, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New Orleans, and Washington in no particular order. The rest have stuff to work out (incumbent QBs, cap, etc). 

His fate is likely tied to what Rodgers and maybe Wilson opt to do. 

One thing is for sure, he's going to have plenty of suitors. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Fans tend to overvalue draft picks. A late second or early third isn't really a premium asset, imo 

Go back and look at the 2nd round picks the last few years and tell me how many players you would rather him than a competent QB for three years? Picks always get overvalued to an extent. Obviously they are important due to their cheap contracts but Jimmy can help a team like Pittsburgh or Washington make the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Fans tend to overvalue draft picks. A late second or early third isn't really a premium asset, imo 

I've read that the price likely is a 1st or early 2. If it is a 3rd, that's not terrible. But I think we know how the Jimmy G experience will likely end with whoever gets him. Maybe having stability at QB is worth that even if it is a just a ST fix. 

Just now, LeotheLion said:

I've read that the price likely is a 1st or early 2. If it is a 3rd, that's not terrible. But I think we know how the Jimmy G experience will likely end with whoever gets him. Maybe having stability at QB is worth that even if it is a just a ST fix. 

Oh...if he's getting a first, someone overpaid LOL 

I mean, I won't complain...but that team is crazy unless its a 2023 first conditional first (games played + playoff game win or something).

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

Whoever trades for Jimmy believes he is the long term answer to.their situation.  Of course, how it plays out might be much different.  Jimmy is just 30, so in theory there is a lot of career left.  Giving up a 1st in the 20s for a team who believes in him is defintely not unrealistic.  Really curious how this unfolds.

7 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Whoever trades for Jimmy believes he is the long term answer to.their situation.  Of course, how it plays out might be much different.  Jimmy is just 30, so in theory there is a lot of career left.  Giving up a 1st in the 20s for a team who believes in him is defintely not unrealistic.  Really curious how this unfolds.

I don't think that is necessarily true. This is a really bad QB draft class and as @Forge mentioned it potentially isn't a great market for QBs available. If you have a good roster without a QB, you could do a lot worse than Jimmy G. But that is all ST answers to preserve a competent roster staying competitive. I think it is unrealistic given Jimmy G's history that any team thinks he is a LT answer. 

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I don't think that is necessarily true. This is a really bad QB draft class and as @Forge mentioned it potentially isn't a great market for QBs available. If you have a good roster without a QB, you could do a lot worse than Jimmy G. But that is all ST answers to preserve a competent roster staying competitive. I think it is unrealistic given Jimmy G's history that any team thinks he is a LT answer. 

Long term to us as fans is different then teams, IMO.  Most contracts have all guaranteed money gone by the end of yr 3, latest.  So as a team that is long term.  As a fan, we view Jimmy at 30 and think long term is closer to 5 yrs or more.  Just my.opinion.  So in a 3 yr window if you can acquire a Qb with a roster who is already playoff proven, probably not a bad deal.

Edited by ravishingone

32 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

He wants a winning situation....so that sort of eliminates a few teams, one would think. 

I'd say the possibilities are:

Denver

Green Bay

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

New Orleans

Tampa Bay

Indianapolis

Tennessee

Carolina if he feels good about them

Miami

Washington

If I had to wager, I'd say the top 5 are Denver, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New Orleans, and Washington in no particular order. The rest have stuff to work out (incumbent QBs, cap, etc). 

His fate is likely tied to what Rodgers and maybe Wilson opt to do. 

One thing is for sure, he's going to have plenty of suitors. 

You can go ahead and take Tennessee off of all these QB lists unless you really think there's another team out there that will take on Tanny's $38 million cap hit.

Tannehill 2022 is inevitable.