Who’s Linked To O'Connell: Filling Out The Staff

gopherwrestler

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I am a little surprised that Ryans didn't take the interview. I certainly would have advised him to do so. 

Even if he didn’t believe he was going to get the job, or didn’t think the Vikings were the perfect fit for him, going through an interview like that would have provided him with invaluable experience for future interviews. 

saw some things where he knew he wasn't going to take a HC gig this year because he feels he still has a lot to learn and just wasn't ready. So he didn't want to continue to waste teams' time.

• Like 1

So since KOC is still under hire of the Rams and prepping for the SB, does anyone know what the process is right now? Like do you think he's making calls and sending out feelers for potential staff or is he probably 100% focused on the SB?

AKA is it possible we can lock up some of these potential coaches/cords before other teams get a chance to get them?

Just now, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

So since KOC is still under hire of the Rams and prepping for the SB, does anyone know what the process is right now? Like do you think he's making calls and sending out feelers for potential staff or is he probably 100% focused on the SB?

AKA is it possible we can lock up some of these potential coaches/cords before other teams get a chance to get them?

I'd guess he is too busy preparing for the Super Bowl to be reaching out to people. I'm guessing KAM will want some input as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if it would be considered some sort of tampering at this point too. 

53 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

OC: Wes Philips

QB/Pass Game Coord: Zac Robinson

OL/Run Game Coord: Aaron Kromer

ST: Dwayne Stukes

I don’t believe any of these coaches could be blocked. 

I think if he can get them to leave LA, those are likely high on his list.  Unfortunately the first two might get those roles anyways with LA and decide to stay, but I love those picks.  Eric Henderson for DC?

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I would think that KOC could provide a list to KAM of the names of the people he'd be interested in for the given positions.  And KAM could contact them about their interest in taking those positions.

32 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

I would think that KOC could provide a list to KAM of the names of the people he'd be interested in for the given positions.  And KAM could contact them about their interest in taking those positions.

Also you gotta assume he will try to bring some current LA coaches, so he can at least ask (assuming that doesn't somehow break rules to gauge interest)

1 hour ago, Heavydan85 said:

I think if he can get them to leave LA, those are likely high on his list.  Unfortunately the first two might get those roles anyways with LA and decide to stay, but I love those picks.  Eric Henderson for DC?

While I can see McVay promoting Wes Philips to replace O’Connell, I think Thomas Brown would be the #1 internal choice for that role, with Liam Coen being a top external option. So, I believe Wes Philips would be free to explore other options. 

Zac Robinson is probably the easiest to retain for McVay. He’s currently just listed as an assistant QB coach, although the Rams don’t officially have a QB coach. 

Aaron Kromer is free to sign. I bring him up because of his time in LA with McVay and O’Connell, and also his experience would be welcomed with a young coaching staff. 

Stukes is a name I’ve seen multiple teams interested in adding. Sounds like he’s going to be a special teams coordinator somewhere. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

I can guarantee you that O’Connell has already made those calls and knows who is likely to join his staff. It is very common for head coaching candidates to have a tentative staff set to hire when they interview with teams. 

If the Vikings, who were blocking coaches from leaving prior to the O’Connell news, are now giving certain coaches the freedom to look elsewhere, it’s because O’Connell has someone else in mind to fill that position.