Colts hire Gus Bradley as DC

.Buzz

Bradley and the rest of the D assistants honestly did a pretty damn good job, all things considered. Look at the presumed level of talent heading in to the year. Look at the number of rookies/players with little starting experience forced into action. Look at how our D's have performed for the past two decades. Their play (for the most part) was far, far better than anyone predicted.

Sure his lack of blitzes are infuriating. Sure he couldn't scheme a lick in both match ups vs. the Chiefs. Sure his overall uber conservativeness is annoying. But he did a very solid job overall. Some fans would have been had no problem bringing him back for another season.

I think this is a solid hire for Indy and he'll sure have a lot more talent to play with there than in Vegas imo.

• Like 6

Some Colts’ fans are happy that Eberflus is gone, I’m just hoping that we don’t regret it. At times the defense can look really good but other times when they aren’t producing turnovers they can’t hold onto leads.

Bradley’s hire seemingly promises more Cover 3 and less Cover 2, we were heading in that direction anyways under Eberflus but not as dramatic. We don’t have the pass rush that Vegas had but Buckner gives him a solid push up the middle.

I would’ve preferred Jim Schwartz myself but Bradley is fine. I’m hoping that a couple of the guys who interviewed for DC are considered for other coaching jobs. (Cullen at DL and Harris at DB) 

As long as you have a good enough four to rush the passer, Bradley is a solid DC. If you don't have a solid front four, he will be a horrible DC. He doesn't blitz. His scheme is pretty good if he has the right personel. 

Overall, I thought he did a good, not great job for us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Just glad they aren't poaching Schwartz.

Schwartz is going to go down as one of the most underrated defensive guys ever. He has put together a Top 5 Defense most of the teams he has been on. Including the Philly SB win. Also I have no doubts the absolute dramatic Titans turnover on defense this year was due to Jim. Titans were winning most games with defense, an opposite from 2020. 

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Bradley and the rest of the D assistants honestly did a pretty damn good job, all things considered. Look at the presumed level of talent heading in to the year. Look at the number of rookies/players with little starting experience forced into action. Look at how our D's have performed for the past two decades. Their play (for the most part) was far, far better than anyone predicted.

Sure his lack of blitzes are infuriating. Sure he couldn't scheme a lick in both match ups vs. the Chiefs. Sure his overall uber conservativeness is annoying. But he did a very solid job overall. Some fans would have been had no problem bringing him back for another season.

I think this is a solid hire for Indy and he'll sure have a lot more talent to play with there than in Vegas imo.

Yeah it is a solid hire, you know what you will get with Gus. His redzone D this year was the worst in the last 30 years, but Colts have better talent level overall. Think he will do a good job, but I must say I think his scheme is archaic now especially against elite QBs.  

24 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

As long as you have a good enough four to rush the passer, Bradley is a solid DC. If you don't have a solid front four, he will be a horrible DC. He doesn't blitz. His scheme is pretty good if he has the right personel. 

Overall, I thought he did a good, not great job for us. 

Grover Stewart doesn’t really give us anything in pass rush, but Kwity Paye starting to come on at the end of the year. Tyquan Lewis was doing well before his ACL tear but is also a free agent. Odeyingbo missed most of the season so he’ll at least have an entire offseason to improve his moves. Outside of Buckner, Paye, Stewart and Odeyingbo every DL who played significant snaps are free agents. 

43 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Some Colts’ fans are happy that Eberflus is gone, I’m just hoping that we don’t regret it. At times the defense can look really good but other times when they aren’t producing turnovers they can’t hold onto leads.

Bradley’s hire seemingly promises more Cover 3 and less Cover 2, we were heading in that direction anyways under Eberflus but not as dramatic. We don’t have the pass rush that Vegas had but Buckner gives him a solid push up the middle.

I would’ve preferred Jim Schwartz myself but Bradley is fine. I’m hoping that a couple of the guys who interviewed for DC are considered for other coaching jobs. (Cullen at DL and Harris at DB) 

Cullen got hired to be KC’s DL coach already.

Personally think he would’ve been a better hire.

15 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Grover Stewart doesn’t really give us anything in pass rush, but Kwity Paye starting to come on at the end of the year. Tyquan Lewis was doing well before his ACL tear but is also a free agent. Odeyingbo missed most of the season so he’ll at least have an entire offseason to improve his moves. Outside of Buckner, Paye, Stewart and Odeyingbo every DL who played significant snaps are free agents. 

Wonder if you could move for Yannick Ngakoue in a trade? Doesn't really fit the new scheme I think that Graham will bring to Vegas. He is a good pass rusher and knows Gus well 

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

No pass rushers though in Indy.