2012 Coaching Staff

naptownskinsfan

I alluded to this in another thread about the lack of promotions/poaching occurring with Rivera's current staff.  But I just want to point out here the amazing minds and talent on the 2012 coaching staff under Mike Shanahan.  If we could get anywhere near this kind of talent in here again, we could see something special happen.  

Offensive Coordinator: Kyle Shanahan (current 49ers head coach, .494 winning percentage, with a Super Bowl and two CCG appearances)

QB Coach: Matt LaFleur (current Packers head coach, .759 winning percentage)

TE Coach: Sean McVay (current Rams head coach, .678 winning percentage) 

Offensive Assistant: Mike McDaniel (just hired as Dolphins head coach) 

DB Coach: Raheem Morris (current Rams DC, has had a lot of attention as a potential HC and went 4-7 with the Falcons after relieving Dan Quinn in 2020) 

This is what happens when you give young coaches a chance, and hire from outside your current sphere of influence.  Morris learned quite a bit while here, and has rehabbed his image.  You can see how Shanahan influenced LaFleur and McVay, and he pulled McDaniel along with him.  

Props have to go to Mike Shanahan for this bunch.  Add in some of his guys, and we had a high-powered coaching staff.  It's just a shame that he had to make Bruce Allen his "must hire" for the front office.  How things could have been different if it wasn't for that one.  

• Like 1

They we’re 24-41 while in DC w/ only one playoff appearance, in 2011 they went into the season w/ Grossman & Jon Beck as their QBs as they didn’t draft a QB to develop - Kyle Shanahan’s QBs of choice over McNabb.  They never won a playoff game, Gruden had a better record and Gruden w/ McVay developed Cousins into the good QB he is today.

Shanahan’s downfall as a team builder HC/GM was his inability to build a good defense and his lack of drafting defensive talent outside of Ryan Kerrigan for 4 straight years. Of course let’s not forget he stupidly traded down & passed on JJ Watt and Robert Quinn, those two would’ve reeked more havoc than Kerrigan opposite Orakpo.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

When Shanahan stepped downed I argued on this forum that we should just hire his son and keep rolling with the staff. My argument was that we shouldn’t side with a terrible QB prospect over a good coaching staff. 

Kyle made a mistake in working for his daddy. When he made that decision, he slowed the process by a few years on him becoming a head coach. There’s no way Dan Snyder was going to give the job to Kyle when he had just fired his father. No one else was ready to give Kyle a HC job either bc short of 1 year where RG3 & Alf ran wild on the league Kyle’s offenses sucked in DC.

Kyle’s offense struggled w/ RG3 in Cleveland too - do we blame that on Kyle who picked RG3 to be his QB that year or on Kyle? Either way, neither of them were good.

I get that he looked good in ATL - but he did blow a Super Bowl by not running the clock out - I get that 2012 was awesome, but that was done w/ RG3 you can’t separate the two each helped one another that year. He’s had 2 great years in San Fran and 3 awful years where he had the #2 overall pick twice because his teams were so bad the year before.

He’s a great offensive mind but there’s still something missing there for me just like w/ his daddy. I think they’re overhyped as HCs. They’re good, but not elite.

Edited by turtle28

On 2/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, MKnight82 said:

When Shanahan stepped downed I argued on this forum that we should just hire his son and keep rolling with the staff. My argument was that we shouldn’t side with a terrible QB prospect over a good coaching staff. 

This was my argument at the time at the forum I was on as well.  Didn’t see the need to upset everything, but I could tell it was going to happen.  

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

I could careless about 2012, I am just appalled that Rivera isn't changing any staff after the step back and minimizing production of our talent.

Loyalty is more important that ability. This was obvious when he didn’t promote Kyle Smith to GM in 2020.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Both head coaches and OCs in the NFCCG were with us at one point- McVay/KOC and Shanghai/McDaniel. 

And we were nearly 20 games under .500 when they were all on our coaching staff. Almost everyone forgets that.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Funny what happens when Danny Boy isn’t in the equation for them any more.  

Well that really wasn’t the entire problem. The biggest problem was the lack of attention to the defense through the draft and FA upgrades under both the Mike Shanahan & Gruden eras. Shanahan never could build a defense in Denver either after the one the Broncos GM had built for the Super Bowl retired.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well that really wasn’t the entire problem. The biggest problem was the lack of attention to the defense through the draft and FA upgrades under both the Mike Shanahan & Gruden eras. Shanahan never could build a defense in Denver either after the one the Broncos GM had built for the Super Bowl retired.

Not the entire problem, but all of the other problems stem from that one.

Got to have a QB, gentleman.

You can have an all world coaching staff, but if your QB is league average?

Then you better be loaded all over the roster.

If you have that loaded roster, plus an elite QB?

You can make the playoffs & perhaps the SB with Steve Spurrier as your coach.

Just like a great coach can lead a bunch of misfits to the playoffs, if he's HOF caliber.

We've had neither a great QB &/or loaded roster during the Snyder era.

But we had Gibbs 2.0 lead us to 2 playoff appearances in 4 seasons with the misfits.

You guys can credit the coaches for the Rams winning the SB & Bengals making it all you want?

I'll credit the fact the Stafford has always been a stud & went to a very good Rams team.

And Burrow is now a stud on a loaded Bengals team.

Rivera didn't make the SB with the Panthers because Cam Newton is great.

He made it because that Panthers team was loaded. 

You have to have a good QB, period!

The Bears with Grossman we're absolutely loaded when they made the SB.

See how that works?

We are neither loaded, nor have a great QB.

That's why you get your great QB, then build around him.

Chargers will probably have a SB win within 5 yrs.

Cause Herbert is a stud. They just need to get a little better around him.

• Like 1