Giants hire Don "Wink" Martindale as DC

AFlaccoSeagulls

This is probably the 2nd best option (behind hiring Fangio) after Graham left. Rarely does a DC who fielded consistent top-5 defenses become available. I like the hire; I'd say he's about as good as Graham as a DC, with the obvious caveat that he isn't as young and doesn't come with that 'innovative' label. I'm excited though to see a blitz heavy defense again though. We need some serious additions in the EDGE room.

Any Ravens fans able to tell me more about him? I know the defense was absolutely demolished with injuries this past year, but from an outsider's perspective, he fielded really good defenses the 3 years before that (2018, 2019, 2020). Even last year's wasn't bad, given the circumstances.

EDIT: I also want to say that it is very encouraging and refreshing that the Giants and Daboll are hiring from outside of their known circles for these important coordinator positions. Daboll brought a few guys with him from Buffalo, but he had no known connections to Wink or Kafka and instead chose the best guys for those coordinator jobs.

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

Any Ravens fans able to tell me more about him? I know the defense was absolutely demolished with injuries this past year, but from an outsider's perspective, he fielded really good defenses the 3 years before that (2018, 2019, 2020). Even last year's wasn't bad, given the circumstances.

From a philosophy standpoint expect the following:

• Heavy man coverage which is entirely reliant on having 2 ELITE corners in man coverage.
  • Heavy blitzing
  • Little production from your EDGE rushers
  • Complex schemes with a heavy emphasis on communication, which can lead to big plays constantly

Our defense was not demolished by injuries for most of last year, contrary to popular belief. It was, however, an awful unit that was plagued by big plays because of communication errors and just overall bad scheming at many times and an over-reliance on blitzing vs. anything else.

He's not a bad hire, but I don't think he's shown the tendency to adjust consistently and be flexible with his scheme. He just wants to blitz constantly and play man coverage, and when we had Humphrey + Peters balling out that worked, but when Peters went down and Humphrey started to struggle in coverage, it didn't.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Hiring a guy who you had some of your toughest outings against makes a  lot of sense. Dabol has seen first hand how tough his defense can be.

Belichick does this all the time with players, I imagine the results with coaching will also be good.

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'd hold off on any statements like this. It is February.

I mean NFCE did have two teams in the playoffs despite being seen as a joke. I don't think it is a straight to think they might actually improve. 

5 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Hiring a guy who you had some of your toughest outings against makes a  lot of sense. Dabol has seen first hand how tough his defense can be.

Coaches do this all the time with players, especially in the NBA, and it leads to abject failure more often than not. Its the reason coaches having too much personnel power tend to falter. They overrate a small sample size vs. the field. In the context of a DC hire it makes more sense but its poor process more than anything.

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

From a philosophy standpoint expect the following:

• Heavy man coverage which is entirely reliant on having 2 ELITE corners in man coverage.
  • Heavy blitzing
  • Little production from your EDGE rushers
  • Complex schemes with a heavy emphasis on communication, which can lead to big plays constantly

Is this Wink or Rex Ryan?

• Like 1

Just now, Ray Reed said:

Wink and the Ryan’s go all the way back to the University of Cincinnati.

Wink has joked on more than one occasion about being “the 3rd Ryan brother”.

Very, very, very similar. 

Learn something new everyday! 

Would also expect that NYG look to secure a smart, athletic LBer to play in that system then. 

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Learn something new everyday! 

Would also expect that NYG look to secure a smart, athletic LBer to play in that system then. 

100%. The defense was night and day different when we had an inexperienced ILB (Queen) playing MIKE vs when we put a smart albeit very athletically limited guy in Josh Bynes at MIKE.

Happened twice, actually. 2019 and 2021