Amazon’s LOTR Rings of Power

Xenos

7 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Ah didn’t know that about the date, makes sense.

I was thinking moreso social media reactions and being what people are talking about. There is room for both for sure, but there is some cross section compared to She-Hulk and Andor, the other higher budget shows out during this time. 

Yes there’s definitely going to be cross section. I’m an example. My wife on the other hand could only watch ROP, assuming it’s good, because she’s even more squeamish than me about gore and violence. Plus she doesn’t like the cynicism of a show like HOTD whereas I find it intriguing.

I’m hoping that both shows are good and do well. Fantasy lovers are the winners here. Though I am more partial towards LOTR materials.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

And honestly I can’t imagine HOTD and ROP competing outside of superficial reasons. They’re just so different. It’s almost like two different genre shows given the setup.

I think you are looking at it from a skewed perspective. For general audiences, one high fantasy show is enough. The hardcores were always gonna give both a shot. The casual fans probably choose one. You want to recoup that huge investment that Amazon sunk into this project, you need those casuals. 

48 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I think you are looking at it from a skewed perspective. For general audiences, one high fantasy show is enough. The hardcores were always gonna give both a shot. The casual fans probably choose one. You want to recoup that huge investment that Amazon sunk into this project, you need those casuals. 

In terms of casuals, maybe being PG-13 will help more in attracting a bigger demographic. Obviously this is different from movie releases but part of the appeal may lie in it being less graphic. Of course, I don’t know Amazon’s metrics of success. Every streaming site seems to have its own metric. Perhaps it’ll be like the Harry Potter/LOTR situation where both films did well financially even though they were released close together.

Slightly off topic but I get Amazon wanting an ROI especially after reading that long article about the money invested. But part of me wonders if some of it’s exaggerated. I know they want the show to do well and generate revenue for them to offset the cost. But I also feel like they don’t necessarily need it to recoup money like HBO does for HOTD since most of their revenue comes from other things. It ultimately feels like the money Amazon already invested is a drop in the bucket overall for them. Even though Bezos stepped down, he’s not going to let his dream project die. I believe they already greenlit the remaining four seasons for this show. Maybe the show’s financial success will affect its future budget but I don’t feel like they’re in a precarious financial situation like Netflix or HBO.

Amazon owns Twitch which has never turned a profit, they also own Whole Foods and I dont think that company has turned a profit as well (could be wrong about that one) Amazon has multiple subsidiaries that continuously dont turn profits from what I remember. They were always about getting people to sign up for their prime membership where they make most of their money, Its why Amazon Prime is slammed down your throat every time you go into a Whole Foods Market. I could easily see a bunch of people signing up for Prime memberships just for this show specifically.

Getting close to release. Genuinely trying to decide If I wanna dive in now or wait until HotD is done.

Edited by mattyice0401
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Xenos said:

In terms of casuals, maybe being PG-13 will help more in attracting a bigger demographic. Obviously this is different from movie releases but part of the appeal may lie in it being less graphic. Of course, I don’t know Amazon’s metrics of success. Every streaming site seems to have its own metric. Perhaps it’ll be like the Harry Potter/LOTR situation where both films did well financially even though they were released close together.

That ish is meaningless for streaming IMO. Unless its designed for the young young kids who demand to rewatch the same damn thing 1000 times beforing moving on to the next (which obviously doesnt apply here), the PG-13 rating does nothing but put the younger family members in front of the TV with the parents. Its not like a theatrical release where a family inclusive flick will net more ticket sales, its the same amount of streams. 

32 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I recognized the one elf guy as the actor that played younger Ned Stark in the Arthur Dayne fight scene. What a useless skill I have. 

Ah that’s where, I was like beside King Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and this dude I’ve never seen and of these people in my life. Was distracted by the no-nameness of it all.

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

Ah that’s where, I was like beside King Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and this dude I’ve never seen and of these people in my life. Was distracted by the no-nameness of it all.

I read the book, wasn’t aware anyone on the planet had seen the movie. 

• Like 1

Just finished the first episode. Much much better looking than WOT or anything else on Amazon. Or Netflix and Disney+ even.

The way they do the dialogue, especially for the Elves, is going to take some getting used to.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Really? If anything, big names take me out of it more.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Just finished the first episode. Much much better looking than WOT or anything else on Amazon. Or Netflix and Disney+ even.

The way they do the dialogue, especially for the Elves, is going to take some getting used to.

I don’t expect anything less than competency with this, solely because they spent so much money on it that they can’t afford for it to flop. This is merely the start of an enormous upcoming LOTR film universe that will surely burn me the hell out like marvel and Star Wars did.