Amazon’s LOTR Rings of Power

Xenos

37 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

This show’s beginning was obviously hit hard by not having the rights to the 1st age or whatever. No morgoth nor much Sauron makes it a weaker plot so far. 

I think not having the rights to the Silmarillion is a really small part of it. While it would have been nice to have more prologue, the actual material from Silm is even more complicated. We really need more good moments like the one with the dwarves.

Edited by Xenos

13 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

My one big problem so far, is Galadriel supposed to be entirely unlikable?  She's been alive for thousands of years at this point and we're supposed to believe she has no patience or ability to manipulate people for what she wants?

I haven't read the books, but know quite a bit of the history, so going purely off of this show. It seems she went straight from Valinor where everything is good so no need to learn those skills to the war with Morgoth to commanding and hunting down Sauron as revenge for Findor's death. Everything has been either all rosy, or everything on the line straight ahead. So I don't think she has ever been in a position where those skills have been necessary per se. Obviously the could have helped with getting Gil-galad to approve some of her missions, but obviously wasn't critical. So it may be a long time she's been alive, but it has all been filled with things where those skills weren't need, or in some cases even helpful. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Acgott said:

The first two episodes were fine, though not hooked yet. One thing I love about Amazon is when I pause it, it tells me who the characters are on screen. We need more user friendly features for all streaming.

That actually is one of their better features.

12 hours ago, Acgott said:

The first two episodes were fine, though not hooked yet. One thing I love about Amazon is when I pause it, it tells me who the characters are on screen. We need more user friendly features for all streaming.

Did you notice a difference between the first and second episode? I liked the first episode for nerdy reasons even though I know it’s flawed. But so many others have told me the second episode worked better in terms of pacing and storytelling.

On 9/2/2022 at 10:24 AM, Xenos said:

The guy playing Elrond now definitely doesn’t look like Hugo Weaving compared to Wil Poulter. But I’ve actually grown fond of his performance the more I followed the show and thought he did good now that I’ve seen it live now.

He looks Neil Patrick Harris and I can't stop seeing it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, biggio7 said:

For those book readers, what should I read in order?

I've read The Hobbit and LOTR.

You can read the appendices in LOTR if you really wanted to. The show is pulling 2nd Age things from those three things. But honestly, I would just watch the show as it is because there’s so little written about the 2nd Age and it’s more of a history book than an actual narrative like The Hobbit or LOTR. They also don’t have rights to some of the other books that references the 2nd Age so it wouldn’t help you to read them for the show.

• Like 1

Tell you what… Wait, I already told you. Looks like a CW production.

Studios need to stop using racism and sexism as an excuse for **** writing and **** production quality.

If you replaced the entire cast with furries and people who identify as toasters that can act and Amazon fixed the lighting and production quality, I guarantee the audience score would be higher.

I cannot watch this **** when it looks worse than the trilogy made 20 years ago.

465 million dollar budget.

LOTR movie trilogy is 474 million when adjusted for inflation.

So for 9 hours and 17 minutes, 474 million for the trilogy.

Eight episodes will be the same or longer you’d imagine.

Stop letting studios get away with racism/sexism as an excuse for terrible storytelling and production quality.

All of this **** gets fixed with better lighting, set design and costumes.

Game of Thrones literally showed you how to do it. The per episode budget of GoT season one was 6 million dollars and it looks ten times better now than something that’s coming out over a decade later.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Xenos said:

You can read the appendices in LOTR if you really wanted to. The show is pulling 2nd Age things from those three things. But honestly, I would just watch the show as it is because there’s so little written about the 2nd Age and it’s more of a history book than an actual narrative like The Hobbit or LOTR. They also don’t have rights to some of the other books that references the 2nd Age so it wouldn’t help you to read them for the show.

Thanks! I'll check out some of that. I'm just intrigued by the whole history that I never really looked into before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biggio7 said:

^^ giphy.gif?cid=790b7611bb0eee9e072600f17f

It's not though. Have you ever had a TV stuck in that soap opera mode?

Soap opera effect is consumer lingo for a visual effect caused by motion interpolation, a process that high definition televisions use to display content at a higher refresh rate than the original source. The goal of motion interpolation is to give the viewer a more life-like picture.

Amazon just takes me right out of these shows with it. It looks wrong. It just looks wrong, and I can't even concentrate on it, and I'm disappointed because I'd love to be able to enjoy it, but I just can't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Tell you what… Wait, I already told you. Looks like a CW production.

Studios need to stop using racism and sexism as an excuse for **** writing and **** production quality.

If you replaced the entire cast with furries and people who identify as toasters that can act and Amazon fixed the lighting and production quality, I guarantee the audience score would be higher.

I cannot watch this **** when it looks worse than the trilogy made 20 years ago.

465 million dollar budget.

LOTR movie trilogy is 474 million when adjusted for inflation.

So for 9 hours and 17 minutes, 474 million for the trilogy.

Eight episodes will be the same or longer you’d imagine.

Stop letting studios get away with racism/sexism as an excuse for terrible storytelling and production quality.

All of this **** gets fixed with better lighting, set design and costumes.

Game of Thrones literally showed you how to do it. The per episode budget of GoT season one was 6 million dollars and it looks ten times better now than something that’s coming out over a decade later.

That’s fine. You don’t need to watch it if it scars you that badly.