Amazon’s LOTR Rings of Power

Xenos

On 9/9/2022 at 12:01 PM, SMashMouthMike said:

After a slow start at least it’s picking up speed now. I guess they had no choice but to get to the story at some point, lol. 

Hide contents

Not gonna be a fan if that turns out to be plot armored Gandalf. 

It still feels and looks more ‘fake’ than it should and also like the WOT, it has weakened some/most of its men characters. That should change with the Numenor dudes and the wizard maybe, and if the elves ever wake up, but then they introduce Isildur’s sister? LOL! SMH. Oh well. It’s better than WOT, but it should’ve been A LOT better.  I’d say it’s closer to WOT than it is to the original GOT. 

I honestly don’t know where the weakened most of its men characters come from.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:17 PM, Outpost31 said:

Amazon doesn’t know WTF it’s doing and it’s blaming their incompetence on  racism and they’re putting more into convincing the world they’re blameless than just accepting legitimate blame and accepting that they ****ed up.

Say it with me.

Not sure why you’re trolling in this thread. I get it you don’t want to watch. That’s fine. Stop being a little *****.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

I honestly thought this episode was going well until the harfoot storyline suddenly popped up and just slowed everything down.

It was the Galadriel part That dragged for me. I’m intrigued by the orc elves and harfoot, but none of it seized it for me. It’s another wait and see.

16 minutes ago, Acgott said:

It was the Galadriel part That dragged for me. I’m intrigued by the orc elves and harfoot, but none of it seized it for me. It’s another wait and see.

I actually didn’t mind the Galadriel part because I dug the Numenor introduction. It also seems like her character was actually slowly progressing in the right direction. And they actually resolve one key plot point about what the sigil is in her storyline.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Not sure why you’re trolling in this thread. I get it you don’t want to watch. That’s fine. Stop being a little *****.

I’m not trolling, and I do the same thing with any poor product. The only way to get quality film and television to come back is if people stop watching and stop supporting crap film and television. So if there’s a single solitary person on this site considering getting Amazon Prime to watch this, I’m going to say this in the hopes of convincing them otherwise.

Legit sorry if it irritates you, but I’m not going to apologize for calling Amazon out on this.

I have zero interest in House of the Dragon. I think it was stupid to make a prequel. I have zero interest in half the other stuff made and I’m not crapping on that stuff, either. Because it’s quality production and plotting and the better it does the more likely similar things get produced by HBO that I might be interested in.

I did have interest in LOTR, and I’m pissed that Amazon can’t even make it look good.

And if Amazon can get away with making **** level productions, others will copy, and future productions will not be held to higher standards.

Same thing with Prey. I wasn’t a huge fan of it, but, other than poor CGI, it was well-made and I could tolerate it. No ****ing on that because the better it does, the more likely I am to have more of those movies made.

Also, FYI, I will defend this take until I die because there are like 13 things in my life I have ever liked, and fantasy/horror/science fiction/action storytelling are among them, so if you want me to stop, get people to stop quoting me and I’ll probably leave well enough alone and stop bugging you.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m not trolling, and I do the same thing with any poor product. The only way to get quality film and television to come back is if people stop watching and stop supporting crap film and television. So if there’s a single solitary person on this site considering getting Amazon Prime to watch this, I’m going to say this in the hopes of convincing them otherwise.

Legit sorry if it irritates you, but I’m not going to apologize for calling Amazon out on this.

I have zero interest in House of the Dragon. I think it was stupid to make a prequel. I have zero interest in half the other stuff made and I’m not crapping on that stuff, either. Because it’s quality production and plotting and the better it does the more likely similar things get produced by HBO that I might be interested in.

I did have interest in LOTR, and I’m pissed that Amazon can’t even make it look good.

And if Amazon can get away with making **** level productions, others will copy, and future productions will not be held to higher standards.

Same thing with Prey. I wasn’t a huge fan of it, but, other than poor CGI, it was well-made and I could tolerate it. No ****ing on that because the better it does, the more likely I am to have more of those movies made.

Also, FYI, I will defend this take until I die because there are like 13 things in my life I have ever liked, and fantasy/horror/science fiction/action storytelling are among them, so if you want me to stop, get people to stop quoting me and I’ll probably leave well enough alone and stop bugging you.

You should give HOTD a watch.

But I agree this show just looks terrible with the cgi and lighting. 1 billion spent and the Films almost 20 years ago look way better.

1 hour ago, Fresh Prince said:

You should give HOTD a watch.

But I agree this show just looks terrible with the cgi and lighting. 1 billion spent and the Films almost 20 years ago look way better.

I probably will give HOTD a shot eventually, I just personally HATE prequels.

It’s no fun to me when I know where it’s going. I wish I could get over this because it’s ****ing stupid. I can watch The Thing four times a year or Predator once a year or rewatch a series. Ain’t no damn thing changing in those, but I can still watch them. And I struggle with watching a prequel because I’m ****ing neurotic in so many ways and stuff.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I probably will give HOTD a shot eventually, I just personally HATE prequels.

It’s no fun to me when I know where it’s going. I wish I could get over this because it’s ****ing stupid. I can watch The Thing four times a year or Predator once a year or rewatch a series. Ain’t no damn thing changing in those, but I can still watch them. And I struggle with watching a prequel because I’m ****ing neurotic in so many ways and stuff.

Even if it's literally hundreds of years beforehand and the stories have nothing to do with each other?

Just takes place in the same world. It's not a story about Robert's Rebellion.

21 hours ago, Xenos said:

I honestly don’t know where the weakened most of its men characters come from.

It definitely came from season 1 of WOT. And, the first few episodes of this(minus Elendil and Arondir) although as I stated this was probably along what Tolkien intended and will/should change a bit.
WOT ? Didn’t really. But who in these shows matches GOTs Hound character? There probably won’t be anyone like that, but still…

Edited by SMashMouthMike

2 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

It definitely came from season 1 of WOT. And, the first few episodes of this(minus Elendil and Arondir) although as I stated this was probably along what Tolkien intended and will/should change a bit.
WOT ? Didn’t really. But who in these shows matches GOTs Hound character? There probably won’t be anyone like that, but still…

Not talking about WOT. I just don’t see it for ROP yet. Almost all the major male characters introduced are strong in their own ways. Elrond for example is kind but also very diplomatic and strategic. Are you talking about physical strength and skills?

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

Not talking about WOT. I just don’t see it for ROP yet. Almost all the major male characters introduced are strong in their own ways. Elrond for example is kind but also very diplomatic and strategic. Are you talking about physical strength and skills?

Partially, maybe mostly. But that guy with Galadriel’s group of hunters in the beginning. Thingol maybe? That “Guy” was a whiny beotch. Not a sergeant type at all. There wasn’t any! Gilgalad sending off their warriors so they’d be out of the way. Why’d he do that? Elrond trying to convince Galadriel that she should go back to valinor?,  and that they’re was no great evil left. Even the dwarf for getting his feelings hurt. Just kinda blah…unfocused, disorganized, aloof and kinda…neutered. At the very least they’re  distracted. And some of this is probably Tolkien’s point regarding Sauron’s rise but…

GOT albeit, a different kind of show, nailed this. It wasn’t that their was an absence of strong women in that story, (far from it actually)but there was also some real dudes running around too. As I’m sure there would always be back in such a day and age. I just hope this isn’t some kind of Amazon trend or agenda or some bs like that. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

1 hour ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Partially, maybe mostly. But that guy with Galadriel’s group of hunters in the beginning. Guy was a whiny beotch, not a sergeant type at all. Gilgalad sending off their warriors so they’d be out of the way. Elrond trying to convince Galadriel that she should go back to valinor?,  and that they’re was no great evil left. Even the dwarf for getting his feelings hurt. Just kinda blah…unfocused, disorganized, aloof and kinda…neutered. And some of this is probably Tolkien’s point regarding Sauron’s rise but…

GOT albeit, a different kind of show, nailed this. It wasn’t that their was an absence of strong women in that story, (far from it actually)but there was also some real dudes running around too. As I’m sure there would always be back in such a day and age. I just hope this isn’t some kind of Amazon trend or agenda or some bs like that. 

Maybe it’s a Tolkien thing. But I think you have to take things in context. The sergeant type at the beginning has been hunting for centuries with Galadriel. At a certain point as he watches his comrades die in this failed quest, he’s not going to want to continue. It was a reasonable decision to mutiny. I think the point was to show that Galadriel was wrong in her singular focus on revenge. And that the sergeant type was right.

Gil-galad also only really sent off Galadriel as a political and strategic move since he felt she was making things worse as well. His line to Elrond at the end was more about preparing for any potential evil rather than searching it out and make things worse. Especially during a time where there’s supposedly peace.

And I guess I don’t understand the criticism of how Durin felt. I think it was one of the best scenes showing the challenges of friendship between an immortal being and someone who was not.