What will we do about the Oline?

theJ

1 hour ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I don't disagree. Those moves would be unreal and with Armstead only 30 and Daniels 24, it would set us up for a while. Completely opens up the draft as well to go BPA. 

Is Daniels especially good though? 

I don't know that we need an all pro line, just quality at all positions and depth. 

12 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Has a 71 PFF grade which is roughly what Spain graded out as. And is higher than Carman who was a 56. 

I talked myself into being ok with the Carman pick after I spent the entire pre-draft process bashing him, but man that pick is looking bad.  Not Ogbuehi bad, but bad nonetheless.

We started Hopkins, Adeniji, and Prince in the Super Bowl. None of them should be starting for the Bengals next season.

Spain is a free agent but I expect him back. PFF scored him at 66.4% for the 2021 season which is 43rd overall among guards. Scherff was 13th and Daniels was 19th.  Carman was 67th and Adeniji was 81st of the 82 guards they scored.

Hopkins scored a 51.9 and ranked 35th. Highest ranking free agent center is Ben Jones at 8th overall. Brian Allen is 10th and Bradley Bozeman 11th. Ryan Jensen was 14th. Billy Price ranked 26th.

Jonah Williams ranked 30th among tackles and Rieff was 49th. Prince was 82nd of 83 rated.

Anyone know why Carman didn't play RT instead of Prince? 

Looking forward, there is a good free agent C class and lots of upgrades available. We should spend the 10-12 mil it will take and save the 7 from Hopkins. 

Guard also offers possibilities in free agency. I'd rather have Daniels than Scherff or Norwell. He can also play center if need be.

Bengals have used a lot of draft picks on O-linemen lately. I don't see any of them ready to take a job away from a vet so they should continue as backups, not made starters because of sunk costs.

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I talked myself into being ok with the Carman pick after I spent the entire pre-draft process bashing him, but man that pick is looking bad.  Not Ogbuehi bad, but bad nonetheless.

Yeah, if only we had picked Creed Humphrey. Not like C wasn't a need at the time.

35 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

He looked like a late second round tackle, I was surprised we took him as a guard. And honestly I didn't mind him when he played later in the year, you would have liked him to grab that spot though. Was he even active for Sunday?  I definitely would have felt better about him at guard or tackle than the guys we ran out there.

1 minute ago, Beck Bristow said:

He looked like a late second round tackle, I was surprised we took him as a guard. And honestly I didn't mind him when he played later in the year, you would have liked him to grab that spot though. Was he even active for Sunday?  I definitely would have felt better about him at guard or tackle than the guys we ran out there.

I'm still baffled that Isaiah Prince was our best option to run out at RT for the Super Bowl

32 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We started Hopkins, Adeniji, and Prince in the Super Bowl. None of them should be starting for the Bengals next season.

Spain is a free agent but I expect him back. PFF scored him at 66.4% for the 2021 season which is 43rd overall among guards. Scherff was 13th and Daniels was 19th.  Carman was 67th and Adeniji was 81st of the 82 guards they scored.

Hopkins scored a 51.9 and ranked 35th. Highest ranking free agent center is Ben Jones at 8th overall. Brian Allen is 10th and Bradley Bozeman 11th. Ryan Jensen was 14th. Billy Price ranked 26th.

Jonah Williams ranked 30th among tackles and Rieff was 49th. Prince was 82nd of 83 rated.

Anyone know why Carman didn't play RT instead of Prince? 

Looking forward, there is a good free agent C class and lots of upgrades available. We should spend the 10-12 mil it will take and save the 7 from Hopkins. 

Guard also offers possibilities in free agency. I'd rather have Daniels than Scherff or Norwell. He can also play center if need be.

Bengals have used a lot of draft picks on O-linemen lately. I don't see any of them ready to take a job away from a vet so they should continue as backups, not made starters because of sunk costs.

I think they moved Daniels between center and guard a bit his first few years. Chicago would be crazy to let him go after turning a corner.  Depending on the cost, I guess.

Not surprised that Billy was better than Hopkins. I always thought it was close at center. But Price was a bad guard. Still worth the trade though. Need to get our center upgrade in free agency.  Ideally we come to the draft with improved starters and still look at depth early. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Nix said:

I will be absolutely floored if they land Terron Armstead

I don't know that it's worth it, so I highly doubt the Bengals will think so. $70 million looks a lot, but they have to sign a tight end, three defensive tackles, a starting corner, all the rookies, Jesse Bates and 4 offensive lineman.  I think it will go fast.

24 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I don't know that it's worth it, so I highly doubt the Bengals will think so. $70 million looks a lot, but they have to sign a tight end, three defensive tackles, a starting corner, all the rookies, Jesse Bates and 4 offensive lineman.  I think it will go fast.

Yep, it's why I think it ends up more like a 4th CB (Draft one at 31), 2 DT (a pass rushing 3 tech in rds 2-4), Uzomah, Bates, and 3 OL (one of those being Spain).  When we signed him, Apple was that CB4, he just played like a CB2 down the stretch.  Unless we get him for CB4 money again, then i'm just fine letting him walk.

10 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Yep, it's why I think it ends up more like a 4th CB (Draft one at 31), 2 DT (a pass rushing 3 tech in rds 2-4), Uzomah, Bates, and 3 OL (one of those being Spain).  When we signed him, Apple was that CB4, he just played like a CB2 down the stretch.  Unless we get him for CB4 money again, then i'm just fine letting him walk.

I really don't want to bring back Apple, talks way too much for a guy who is just ok.  And not just in games, but going on twitter and running his mouth.  I don't need it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

I see:

Williams- Spain- Karras- Carman- Moses

I think they add a veteran RG, but I bet Carman ends up as the day 1 starter. 

Honestly, this seems realistic.  Mid level starters.  Add a couple of early rookies too. I think we can win with this.  My biggest concern is that we are lacking a third tackle.  Prince can't be the guy and I don't want Smith there either.

9 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Honestly, this seems realistic.  Mid level starters.  Add a couple of early rookies too. I think we can win with this.  My biggest concern is that we are lacking a third tackle.  Prince can't be the guy and I don't want Smith there either.

Hopefully Smith continues to develop.  Plus that whole draft thing in April, as the team has nine picks, based on comp formula projections (extra 4th) and the 7th rounder from the Price trade.