Who's our starting QB in 2022?

bucsfan333

And I also don't want to hear Jameis Winston's name bc he spent a year in this offense. According to BA and co - it was worrisome that he regressed down the stretch, when he was supposed to have a better understanding of the offense. And I also don't think Winston wants to come back and play in this offense where he looked like an idiot decision making wise. 

1 hour ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I thought this was interesting.

Once the grand jury decides to press criminal charges or not is the hold up right now  I have read the grand jury was suppose to render a decision by early April.  I expect Watson to get suspended even if he is not charged criminally and settles all the civil suits.  Best guess up to 6 games.  He did not play at all last yr, but was paid.  Does that count as suspension served?  I do not know.  Criminal charges out of the way, the Texans will get multiple 1st rd picks.  He does have some leverage with his NTC.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Once the grand jury decides to press criminal charges or not is the hold up right now  I have read the grand jury was suppose to render a decision by early April.  I expect Watson to get suspended even if he is not charged criminally and settles all the civil suits.  Best guess up to 6 games.  He did not play at all last yr, but was paid.  Does that count as suspension served?  I do not know.  Criminal charges out of the way, the Texans will get multiple 1st rd picks.  He does have some leverage with his NTC.  

Agree with all this. And if criminal charges are out of the way and civil suits are settled on the side with no evidence of wrongdoing, then I think the Bucs would be willing trade multiple 1st to get him and the idea of Gabbert keeping the ship afloat for a few games if need be does seem plausible. Do we have multiple 1sts or premium 1sts? No. But if we are one of only a few teams Watson would play for, some of that other stuff becomes moot.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Agree with all this. And if criminal charges are out of the way and civil suits are settled on the side with no evidence of wrongdoing, then I think the Bucs would be willing trade multiple 1st to get him and the idea of Gabbert keeping the ship afloat for a few games if need be does seem plausible. Do we have multiple 1sts or premium 1sts? No. But if we are one of only a few teams Watson would play for, some of that other stuff becomes moot.

Going to be interesting when they re sign guys how the contracts are structured.  Keep 1st yr cap hits low to maximize available cap space?  

If Watson is cleared of criminal charges I think it will come down to the Bucs, Broncos, and Panthers.  I do wonder how long Denver will wait to address QB.  

11 hours ago, ravishingone said:

The NFL typically follows course with how the litigation decision plays out. If he's guilty, the NFL will come down hard. If he's cleared, I don't expect they will discipline him with more than a slap on the wrist under the personal conduct policy. if he is suspended, I don't think 2020 would count toward any discipline, as the Texans and Watson chose to keep him off the field before the NFL even had to step-in.

• Like 1

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports that multiple teams are willing to trade for DeShaun Watson with civil cases still pending.

Watson faced both criminal and civil complaints. Watson's lawyer said in court that he expects the grand jury to make a decision on any criminal charges by April 1. The level of those charges (felony or misdemeanor) should also be known at that time. Watson also faces civil cases from 22 women. There is no clear timeline on when those charges will be resolved. However, Florio reports that multiple teams are willing to trade for Watson with civil cases still pending. Meaning, if Watson's criminal cases are resolved by early April, his trade market could heat up, even while 22 civil complaints remain unresolved. The Texans are reportedly still looking for five to seven assets for Watson, including three first-round picks.

ESPN's Adam Schefter suggested the 49ers might keep Jimmy Garoppolo this offseason. 

Schefter said Kyle Shanahan and the Niners could stick with Garoppolo in 2022 in large part because the QB is popular with teammates and Trey Lance still has a ways to go in his development as an NFL passer. Lance, Schefter said, "was probably further behind than people realized, Trey Lance is greener than people realize, Trey Lance is going to need more work than people realize, and they have a roster that can win now." Schefter added the team is "happy" with Lance's development.

56 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter suggested the 49ers might keep Jimmy Garoppolo this offseason. 

Schefter said Kyle Shanahan and the Niners could stick with Garoppolo in 2022 in large part because the QB is popular with teammates and Trey Lance still has a ways to go in his development as an NFL passer. Lance, Schefter said, "was probably further behind than people realized, Trey Lance is greener than people realize, Trey Lance is going to need more work than people realize, and they have a roster that can win now." Schefter added the team is "happy" with Lance's development.

Sounds to me like Niners trying to increase Jimmy G trade value.  This will be the last year of his deal.  Doubtful they extend him.  Time is not on the side of the Niners to maximize trade value.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

https://www.oddschecker.com/us/insight/football/nfl/20220222-deshaun-watson-next-team-odds-will-watson-get-another-chance

Betting odds for Watson.  Bucs sitting in the second spot behind the Texans.

The commentary given for Watson under the Bucs odds is hilarious. Legal stuff aside, Watson has been nothing less than a stud QB on the field and made a lost Houston team a playoff contender. Tampa, especially with the current roster, would easily be in the Conference Championship Game conversation with Watson.

Not sure I would have went down the social scene in Tampa as a reason not to trade Watson.  Don t most major cities have a social scene?  If an organization wants to not trade for Watson reviewing his current situatiion, no issue and reasonable.  Reynolds going down the Tampa social scene really was unnecessary.  

Edited by ravishingone

On 2/24/2022 at 8:58 AM, ravishingone said:

No surprises here.  The one nugget from last year was Watson's unwillingness to waive his NTC for Carolina.  Does the Carolina look any better today?

No because Rhole is a bad coach. I think Saints could be a sleeper team though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Not sure I would have went down the social scene in Tampa as a reason not to trade Watson.  Don t most major cities have a social scene?  If an organization wants to not trade for Watson reviewing his current situatiion, no issue and reasonable.  Reynolds going down the Tampa social scene really was unnecessary.  

22 women is enough of a trail to be worried. Thats not a 1 time offense - it's a behavioral pattern. For a franchise that removed Jon Gruden from the ROH - Trading 5 premium picks for Watson to be the face of the franchise with 10 pending criminal charges and 22 civil is hypocritical to the highest T. Being QB of an NFL franchise requires leadership. And to be honest - all he's done is whine and complain about how the Texans hire folks from the coaching staff to the FO. Bill Obrien is a great Coach - shouldn't have been given the GM title but that's a different rabbit hole to go into. 

Watson is also going to carry 40million and cost 3 1sts and 2 2nd's. Even if there is compromise - i expect there to be at least 2 firsts 1 second and 2 3rds - or 2 firsts a second and players. How do the Bucs make that move? 

2nd - Tampa is not the only team he's waving his no trade clause for. Miami, Philly - both have more draft capital than Tampa and they can do it this year. Miami has the niners pick next year as well plus Tua to give up. What does Tampa have? a late first - probably a mid to late 1 next year? 

Also, as Rick Stroud reported on Colin Cowherd's show yesterday - He does not believe ownership will sign off on a Deshaun Watson trade.