Who's our starting QB in 2022?

bucsfan333

Jets fan here but why draft Kyle Trask out of Florida round #2 and let him develop 1 year behind Tom Brady; if you're not going to give him an opportunity come his 2nd year? 

Trevor Lawrence. 

Zach Wilson. 

Justin Fields. 

Mac Jones. 

Davis Mills. 

All were thrown into the NFL fire with Rookie opportunities of starting experience; and 2022 should become Kyle Trask's turn (next). 

5 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Jets fan here but why draft Kyle Trask out of Florida round #2 and let him develop 1 year behind Tom Brady; if you're not going to give him an opportunity come his 2nd year? 

Trevor Lawrence. 

Zach Wilson. 

Justin Fields. 

Mac Jones. 

Davis Mills. 

All were thrown into the NFL fire with Rookie opportunities of starting experience; and 2022 should become Kyle Trask's turn (next). 

The organisation just doesn’t seem that high on him, which is strange.

We also have a chance of a championship next season with a certain level of QB, so there’s a lot of short term thinking going on.

He might yet be the long term answer, in the short term he is not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ravishingone said:

tenor.gif

I’d rather see what Trask had than any of those QBs. Jimmy G would be too expensive for what he is and Tannehill is good enough to get us deep into the playoffs, but I don’t think he’s capable of taking this team to a championship.

• Like 1

Certainly seems the easiest Qb to get via trade is Jimmy G.  He fits the experience and locker room element, but not the throw the ball down the field resume.  

Will they get the trade done?  Lynch and Licht have worked together before.  I do believe the only UFA the Bucs will sign is Gabbert.  

What’s up fellas. Been a while. What an end to an incredible 2 year run of Brady in Tampa. I’ll always wonder the “what if” Wirfs and Godwin were healthy or if we somehow pulled out a W against the Rams if we’d gone back to back. Oh well. With the success Tampa has has after 18 years of pain I can’t complain.

Now with that said. I’m of the camp that you either trade for one of two QBs (Wilson or Watson) or you gotta go with Gabbert/Trask and try again in 2023. I don’t really see any other QB as a viable option to trade for at this point, and while Watson is on the block and in a different conference, there are plenty of complications there. Wilson technically isn’t even on the block and is in the same conference. Ultimately the no trade clause both QBs have will help Tampa if we want either of them and for similar reasons Brady wanted to come to Tampa, I think we are an appealing destination to those QBs as well.

Wilson will come at a much higher cost and provide 3-5 years of elite play and obviously from a character perspective, will be received very well off hand.

Watson I do believe will come at a significant discount because the Texans want to move him now and have no leverage. Watson has $35M guaranteed in 2022. Pending civil and criminal suits. And a no trade clause that lets him pick where he wants to go of any interested teams, which will likely be few. Watson if cleared will also provide an elite talent that BA liked in the draft years back and will be a franchise caliber QB for the next 10 years.

Personally, I think a Watson trade is much more likely of the two options. Not saying it’s probable, just more likely. My caveat would be the price has to come way down due to what I already mentioned and as these suits likely won’t be settled by the time of trade, there needs to be some clause in the trade that protects Tampa. I don’t think that’s all that unlikely unless there is a bidding war for Watson which at this point I don’t see. 1 1st, 2 2nds, conditional 3rd. And some clause that protects Tampa. I think that’s a good starting point for the Bucs and we’ll see from there.

Here are some comments from Florio on why Texans likely won’t get compensation they want as this drags out. 

Edited by Lil' Shorty
  • Like 2

Unless it's a big name, I don't want to lose any draft picks

I rather us sign Trubisky in FA than trade anything for Jimmy G 

Hell I'd rather Trubisky than Teddy B or Winston

1. Trade for big name

2. Trask 

3. Sign a small name vet to compete with Trask (but hopefully Trask wins it or even if it's close let Trask have the reigns) 

I'd welcome a Jimmy G trade- While it's not always pretty, he's the most affordable and the only QB thats known on the market that's been to a Super Bowl and most recently an NFC title game. While not the best option for Arians offense - maybe its time for BA to realize to adapt to the modern game? He won't cost a 1st or multiple 1's. His salary at what 24MM is doable. As i mentioned, it's not the best option, but what options are there? Rodgers isn't worth 3 1sts at his age. Watson isn't worth 3 firsts 2 seconds. Like i mentioned before - while his stats are gaudy - once he took that money - the texans had to cut talent and went 4-12. It would be a similar scenario here but we'd be without premium draft picks and having to reduce salary for years. Plus his legal situation is way to complicated to give up picks right now for him. 

To comment on Kyle Trask: If the reports from Pewter Report is true - he was 4th on the depth chart regardless of Ryan Griffin being on the practice squad. Apparently in practice - he ran scout team offense - something the PS QB would do. Also not hearing many ringing endorsements of him knowing the offense or mastering it. 

I know guys like Jimmy G or Teddy Bridgewater aren't the most favorable options - but logical and realistic. So many hopes of a russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson trade - well to be fair - We don't even have the best draft assets to trade (Philly, NYG, Carolina - All have more favorable draft capital, cap and assets to make a deal). 

A guy i'd like to see BA revive is Mitch Tribusky. He looked like a completely different QB when he played snaps in Buffalo over the preseason and Matt Nagy seemed to be the issue in Chicago. But i think if the Giants don't make a monster trade for a QB - Tribusky goes and competes with Jones after being with Daboll for a year. 

And don't put it past BA to resign Blaine Gabbert and have him be the starter if no other QB's are available that entices him. I think Gabbert starting is a real possibility especially if Arians is unwilling to change his scheme. To be honest, only Mahomes, Herbert, and Allan are QB's i can really think of that could actually play in this offense. And none of them will be available so its time to make some adjustments. 

I think in the end - Teddy Bridgewater will be the QB. Apparently, he was option 2 behind Tom Brady two offseasons ago. And I think they'll want a smart QB who can pick up the offense and not turn the ball over. But with Teddy - we'd have to install a more balanced running attack. None of this 70-80% pass heavy attacks.