Who's our starting QB in 2022?

bucsfan333

27 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Sounds like a negotiating position on Brady more than anything. The likelihood of a 45/46 year old returning to the league is between slim and nil, but never say never I guess.

As for Trask, the hype has come a little late, so it feels more like a sales job because the trade targets aren’t available. The low expectations we’ve got for him now might benefit him coming into the season, but it won’t help us resign our FAs.

I think we'll be rolling into camp with a QB battle Trask vs... Although Gabbert might be more expeirenced in our system I'd rather go for a younger guy with more upside. Let Trask compete with Wentz or Trubinsky. 

Sign as many of our guys as we can to team freindly contracts (Jensen, Stinnie Cappa, Godwin, Gronk, Suh, Whitehead, tag CD3) but let them walk if there's a bidding war. Make an emphaiss on getting some money off the books this year and hopeuflly Licht can have a big draft.

Just don't see the point mortaging the future for a mediocre QB. Dont forget what a brutal scheudle we have. Trask deserves a shot and if he runs with it great. If its a tough year then hey the 2023 draft is looking loaded at QB and we should be in a better spot cap wise. Most of our probowlers are young, we could survive a one year rebuild and then get serious with likely a new coach and QB next year.. along with good cap situation and a good core of players.

On 3/2/2022 at 11:53 AM, SBucfan said:

I think we'll be rolling into camp with a QB battle Trask vs... Although Gabbert might be more expeirenced in our system I'd rather go for a younger guy with more upside. Let Trask compete with Wentz or Trubinsky. 

Sign as many of our guys as we can to team freindly contracts (Jensen, Stinnie Cappa, Godwin, Gronk, Suh, Whitehead, tag CD3) but let them walk if there's a bidding war. Make an emphaiss on getting some money off the books this year and hopeuflly Licht can have a big draft.

Just don't see the point mortaging the future for a mediocre QB. Dont forget what a brutal scheudle we have. Trask deserves a shot and if he runs with it great. If its a tough year then hey the 2023 draft is looking loaded at QB and we should be in a better spot cap wise. Most of our probowlers are young, we could survive a one year rebuild and then get serious with likely a new coach and QB next year.. along with good cap situation and a good core of players.

I think Wentz is a possibility as long as reports of his leadership woes are just media BS. If true, i don't see that happening. Wentz actually had a really good season last year - 27 TD's to 7 picks. Yet he's talked about for his performance against Jacksonville, in which he was cleared for play less than 24 hours before kick off. I mean, Pat Mahomes had the absolute worst game of his career in the super bowl and he choked in the second half of the AFC title game and no one is talking about replacing him. I also would like to see how the Colts replace Wentz with someone better. They have no first round pick or trade assets that are attractive. Forget about Houston dealing you Watson - not going to a division foe. Russell Wilson is not going to be traded and if he were - no chance of him going to Indy. It's New York or Chicago or apparently home to his Virginia roots in Washington. Garropolo wouldn't really be an upgrade over Wentz. Rodgers - might retire. And if not - reportedly has Pittsburgh, Denver, and Tennessee as his preferred destinations. 

Tribusky - I am with you. I think what we saw in preseason was a glimpse of what he could be without Matt Nagy. He looked sharp decisive and accurate in his playing time in buffalo. In my opinion, with the QB class lacking a top 10 pick - I see him signing with the Giants and competing with Daniel Jones. He knows the offense already. He'd probably beat out Daniel Jones for the Starting Job. 

I think Arians is going to look at a few guys - Like Teddy Bridgewater. I wouldn't rule out a trade for a Minshew. Nick Foles - if he doesn;t retire. 

In the end - the options available are pretty slim and the names above are the most realistic outside of Blaine Gabbert. I think the fear with Kyle Trask is Pewter Report did say Trask lost reps to PS QB Ryan Griffin during the season, despite being on the roster. Griffin outplayed Trask in Preseason and during the season while staying on the PS - leaving Trask playing the role of Scout Team QB running the opposing teams plays in weeks preparation. 

Jumping from QB4 to Starter is a huge leap - especially for a guy who lost reps to Griffin during the year in practice. He'll be given a chance based off draft status, but i have some realistic doubts that Trask is ready to start or even be the primary backup in 2022. For a 2nd round pick that was supposedly more ready than a Davis Mills - he seems very far behind. 

Unless some sort of miracle happens - expect it to be Blaine Gabbert. But given the current options and availability - I'd love a Jimmy Garoppolo or Carson Wentz here compared to the alternative options. The other option is to let Trask start and prepare for Bryce Young :) 

13 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

They've done a good job of making it sound like it's gonna be Gabbert v Trask.

That a fine, don t really care who the scrap heap QB signed will be.  All about Trask anyway.  He has to eventually beat out the QB signed and then perform at a level above JAG.   Having 2 scrap heap QBs on the roster just makes little sense to me.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:54 PM, RedandPewterReturns said:

I think Wentz is a possibility as long as reports of his leadership woes are just media BS. If true, i don't see that happening. Wentz actually had a really good season last year - 27 TD's to 7 picks. Yet he's talked about for his performance against Jacksonville, in which he was cleared for play less than 24 hours before kick off. I mean, Pat Mahomes had the absolute worst game of his career in the super bowl and he choked in the second half of the AFC title game and no one is talking about replacing him. I also would like to see how the Colts replace Wentz with someone better. They have no first round pick or trade assets that are attractive. Forget about Houston dealing you Watson - not going to a division foe. Russell Wilson is not going to be traded and if he were - no chance of him going to Indy. It's New York or Chicago or apparently home to his Virginia roots in Washington. Garropolo wouldn't really be an upgrade over Wentz. Rodgers - might retire. And if not - reportedly has Pittsburgh, Denver, and Tennessee as his preferred destinations. 

Tribusky - I am with you. I think what we saw in preseason was a glimpse of what he could be without Matt Nagy. He looked sharp decisive and accurate in his playing time in buffalo. In my opinion, with the QB class lacking a top 10 pick - I see him signing with the Giants and competing with Daniel Jones. He knows the offense already. He'd probably beat out Daniel Jones for the Starting Job. 

I think Arians is going to look at a few guys - Like Teddy Bridgewater. I wouldn't rule out a trade for a Minshew. Nick Foles - if he doesn;t retire. 

In the end - the options available are pretty slim and the names above are the most realistic outside of Blaine Gabbert. I think the fear with Kyle Trask is Pewter Report did say Trask lost reps to PS QB Ryan Griffin during the season, despite being on the roster. Griffin outplayed Trask in Preseason and during the season while staying on the PS - leaving Trask playing the role of Scout Team QB running the opposing teams plays in weeks preparation. 

Jumping from QB4 to Starter is a huge leap - especially for a guy who lost reps to Griffin during the year in practice. He'll be given a chance based off draft status, but i have some realistic doubts that Trask is ready to start or even be the primary backup in 2022. For a 2nd round pick that was supposedly more ready than a Davis Mills - he seems very far behind. 

Unless some sort of miracle happens - expect it to be Blaine Gabbert. But given the current options and availability - I'd love a Jimmy Garoppolo or Carson Wentz here compared to the alternative options. The other option is to let Trask start and prepare for Bryce Young :) 

You’re comparing Patrick Mahomes to Carson Wentz? Lol

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

You’re comparing Patrick Mahomes to Carson Wentz? Lol

Nope. Situations where they both choked. You're saying wentz is worse than Gabbert? Bc wentz is pretty solid and the comparison is you can't cut QBs based off one game. Overall - wentz had a great 2021 season. If the colts are looking to upgrade - they won't.