Who's our starting QB in 2022?

bucsfan333

Gabbert or Bridgewater. Neither will cost as much salary-wise as the others already mentioned and we need to keep our draft picks (unless it's a trade for Rodgers or Wilson). I don't think Watson is on the table.  QB is the worst postion to have a need if you are in win-now mode and do not have premium draft capital - those two kind of go together. Gabbert knows the offense and Bridgewater is a steady, safe, yet uninspiring option.

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

2yrs/25 million, doesn't that seem high?  Teddy signed a 1 yr @ 4.4 million in Denver last season.  Somehow that season justifies, 12.5 million/yr.  Makes no sense.

tenor.gif

Was there some sort of cap hit Carolina absorbed from his salary ? I thought his first year was fully guranteed and part of year 2. Anyway, i agree, 12.5 MM doesn't make sense. 

I'm getting the feeling more and more that Gabbert is going to be re-signed and they might give Trask a look to compete. 

On 2/25/2022 at 10:46 AM, ravishingone said:

Not sure I would have went down the social scene in Tampa as a reason not to trade Watson.  Don t most major cities have a social scene?  If an organization wants to not trade for Watson reviewing his current situatiion, no issue and reasonable.  Reynolds going down the Tampa social scene really was unnecessary.  

PewterReport is probably the most plugged in beat in Tampa so there is likely a lot of merit to this unless something changes legally or the Bucs get new information. Agreed that the night scene is a moot point. That’s not why ownership makes a decision one way or the other, even if it plays a small part in their thoughts.

Sights set on Russell Wilson? Even thought I think that’s even less likely… Bucs might just be in QB purgatory for a year or so, but I can’t imagine that’s what they want with this roster. There is just only so much they can do.

Edited by Lil' Shorty

21 hours ago, ravishingone said:

2yrs/25 million, doesn't that seem high?  Teddy signed a 1 yr @ 4.4 million in Denver last season.  Somehow that season justifies, 12.5 million/yr.  Makes no sense.

tenor.gif

Some of those predictions on PFF are laughable. Carlton Davis signing a 1-year deal with the Jets? Why the hell would he sign a one year deal lmao? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Some of those predictions on PFF are laughable. Carlton Davis signing a 1-year deal with the Jets? Why the hell would he sign a one year deal lmao? 

Makes no sense, he missed time with a quad injury, but made it back fine.  His agent should be fired if he advises Carlton to sign a 1 yr deal.  

25 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

PewterReport is probably the most plugged in beat in Tampa so there is likely a lot of merit to this unless something changes legally or the Bucs get new information. Agreed that the night scene is a moot point. That’s not why ownership makes a decision one way or the other, even if it plays a small part in their thoughts.

Sights set on Russell Wilson? Even thought I think that’s even less likely… Bucs might just be in QB purgatory for a year or so, but I can’t imagine that’s what they want with this roster. There is just only so much they can do.

Can it really be Teddy B this time around?  I keep telling myself it won't happen, but I just might be kidding myself.  Arguably a better starting option then Gabbert.  If Trask beats him out in a training camp, Teddy has always been good in the locker room.  My apologies to @eggybucsfan31 for suggesting his worst nightmare might be the play.  Not like Teddy is going to find a better situation.  The team can keep all of their picks, add to the roster and bring back more guys.

If we're going the re-tread route at QB for this coming season, honestly there isn't much difference between Teddy B, Wentz, Gabbert, etc. These guys have all been on multiple teams and been given multiple opportunities and failed on all accounts. They're mere game managers and not very good ones at that. At least sign the cheapest one out of the bunch so we can allocate the remaining funds to other areas.

I'd 100% rather just suck and see what Trask offers vs. trotting one of these guys out there and finishing 6-11 next year. Hell, even draft another 2nd-3rd round QB to compete. It'll never happen though with BA at the helm. 

I would hope with BA knowing his window is closing (if it hasn't already), the Bucs would make a serious run at Watson if he's cleared, as he really seems like the best option that could actually come to fruition. 

Outside of that, I say look to target a guy like Drew Lock on the trade scrap heap. A guy who needs a change of scenery, has big arm talent and could maybe turn his course around with BA and Lefty's tutelage. He wouldn't cost much both financially and to acquire. It would be a long-shot, but I'd rather give him a 2nd chance than a 3rd-4th chances like the other options.   

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

If we're going the re-tread route at QB for this coming season, honestly there isn't much difference between Teddy B, Wentz, Gabbert, etc. These guys have all been on multiple teams and been given multiple opportunities and failed on all accounts. They're mere game managers and not very good ones at that. At least sign the cheapest one out of the bunch so we can allocate the remaining funds to other areas.

I'd 100% rather just suck and see what Trask offers vs. trotting one of these guys out there and finishing 6-11 next year. Hell, even draft another 2nd-3rd round QB to compete. It'll never happen though with BA at the helm. 

I would hope with BA knowing his window is closing (if it hasn't already), the Bucs would make a serious run at Watson if he's cleared, as he really seems like the best option that could actually come to fruition. 

Outside of that, I say look to target a guy like Drew Lock on the trade scrap heap. A guy who needs a change of scenery, has big arm talent and could maybe turn his course around with BA and Lefty's tutelage. He wouldn't cost much both financially and to acquire. It would be a long-shot, but I'd rather give him a 2nd chance than a 3rd-4th chances like the other options.   

I think there is a difference in the retread route. and I think it matters.  Arians has maximized the production from all of his QBs, not just the elite ones.  Maybe  the game plan is to let Trask play the majority of the season, then the place holder is not that important.  If they view him as just back up material then I hope they go highest upside route.  If it s Lock or Wentz, no issue. I would respect the coaching staff believes there is another level to tap into.  For me, guys like Teddy B and Gabbert are just JAGs at this poimt.

Edited by ravishingone