Dirk Koetter sticking around for 2018, Mike Smith and all assistant coaches too

bucsfan333

Not sure if it's been tossed out as I skipped through most of the whole Gruden debate but an interesting name thrown out in an ESPN article was Frank Reich, the OC for the Eagles.  Has shown to run a pretty decent offense and helped develop Wentz, granted we need a defensive coach, I think this would be fixed with a strong DC.  Really just need someone to come in, push Winston and oversee the team not so much the Koetter approach of trying to do too much.  Honestly would like to see Koetter hand over playcalling and take care of the team and fix the locker room, to me that's how he can save his job for one more year.

9 hours ago, YoungBucs15 said:

Not sure if it's been tossed out as I skipped through most of the whole Gruden debate but an interesting name thrown out in an ESPN article was Frank Reich, the OC for the Eagles.  Has shown to run a pretty decent offense and helped develop Wentz, granted we need a defensive coach, I think this would be fixed with a strong DC.  Really just need someone to come in, push Winston and oversee the team not so much the Koetter approach of trying to do too much.  Honestly would like to see Koetter hand over playcalling and take care of the team and fix the locker room, to me that's how he can save his job for one more year.

You bring up a great point about whether coordinators who get head coaching jobs need to relinquish play calling duties.  I think in the end the decision by Koetter not to give up those duties will cost him his job.  Arguably the 2 greatest coaches of all time Hoodie and Saban are CEO types.  

Rah did the same thing after Bates got canned.  Like you, I hope Koetter makes the change soon, but like Rah I expect no change and will seem him go down with the ship.  I see a lot of similarities between Rah s last year and this year.  On a side note, Rah s press conferences were pretty entertaining.

2 hours ago, sryan66611 said:

I dunno where to put this but its an interesting read..   Makes a lot of sense and echoes the statements many of us have said in here about the problems that caused the team's downfall.

http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/19077/revisiting-the-bucs-offseason-neglecting-edge-rusher-has-cost-them-in-2017

Good article summing up why Jason Licht will be gone after this season.

58 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Bc Jason la unfirmable source is posting this, I'm going to say it's doubtful. He's wrong 99% of the time. 

It's pretty obvious he is itching to coach again.  He was actually vindicated for the most part not drafting a QB  when the Bucs were on the clock because at best they were very mediocre.   I have been very critical of not selecting Rodgers.  I will give him a little slack because Rodgers was very much a flawed prospect with his mechanics.   At Cal, Tedford had his QBs hold the ball near the ear as a launch point.  There were serious concerns about his arm strength.  Now all the credit in the world goes to Rodgers to redefining his mechanics once being drafted.  He succeeded where a guy like Tebow couldn't with his mechanics.   

I thought they might draft Flacco out of Delaware, but Baltimore jumped up I believe surrending the following year s 1st.  Considering it cost 4 premium picks to get Gruden to Tampa, I think it would be understandable not to want to give up more premium picks for a QB with a high 2nd round grade.  Ironically, in that draft was Parcells 1st year in Miami, they selected Jake Long over Matt Ryan.  Even Hall of Famers make mistakes in the draft process.

I hope Gruden comes back in the league, even if it s not in Tampa.  It would make for an interesting story line for the league next season.

Archived