Dirk Koetter sticking around for 2018, Mike Smith and all assistant coaches too

bucsfan333

Yeah, honestly I don't know how I feel about Chucky coming back to coach.  Ultimately I think the best thing might be him coming in and becoming President of the team like Coughlin.  Gruden has the connections and the knowledge to right the ship.  If he does come back to coach, I think it's funny to think he would come back and do the same thing.  Any great coach is able to see what works and what doesn't and change his style to suit the current style of play.  While it would have remnants of his old style, I don't think it's the exact same offense.  

I honestly would like to see Dirk get one more year. 

Getting a NEW GM and senior VP of operations. 

Get an OC and let Dirk be the Head coach. Make some changes to the staff. Relieve himself of the playcallinng and hire a new QB coach. 

Adjust the defensive scheme and hire a new D.C.  

Both Dirk and mike smith are making head coaches salaries. Firing them both will be hefty. 

I think Dirk will be asked to make some changes. I like Koetter. I think he's a no nonsense guy and brutally honest. But he has dropped the ball on a few things. 

4 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I honestly would like to see Dirk get one more year. 

Getting a NEW GM and senior VP of operations. 

Get an OC and let Dirk be the Head coach. Make some changes to the staff. Relieve himself of the playcallinng and hire a new QB coach. 

Adjust the defensive scheme and hire a new D.C.  

Both Dirk and mike smith are making head coaches salaries. Firing them both will be hefty. 

I think Dirk will be asked to make some changes. I like Koetter. I think he's a no nonsense guy and brutally honest. But he has dropped the ball on a few things. 

I agree I think Dirk needs to stay around for at least another year, need to start building some sort of consistency here.  With Licht being the odd man out I would think the ideal scenario would be to get someone like Chucky in that Coughlin role, senior VP of operations.  Then go after someone like Nick Caserio, someone that has been around a winning organization and knows what it takes to help build it up and maintain it.  

I was also thinking about possible DC that could come in and help turn the team but also help with the locker room and what about Marvin Lewis? I don't see him in Cincy after this year, and honestly, maybe Koetter can learn a few things from Lewis when it comes to team management and what it takes to control a locker room. Lewis was almost the coach after Dungy and we were ready to offer the job until the Glazers stepped in and said not another defensive-minded coach.  The other biggest thing I think we need to do is start to bring in some older players to help coach similar to Robert Mathis in Indy.  Why don't we get Simeon Rice in here to help with one of the biggest needs we have on this team. 

I still think we need a new GM because even if Koetter could be the guy, Licht has handicapped the defense with some awful roster moves. That falls on his shoulders.

We went 9-7 last year so typically you aren't going to see coaching changes happen. You go 7-9 and there are coaching changes to some degree, new GM or not. I see a new GM coming in to add a few needed pieces to the roster and strongly recommend to Koetter that he make some coaching changes.

Plenty of front office guys want to be a GM, it's just finding one that is good. With that being said, I still think you'd lure a good one if the Glazers told him he had to keep Koetter at least 1 more season but after that it's up to him if the team is still losing. I just want someone in here who can get better personnel for the coaches and see what could happen if a few position coaches were changed as well as DC.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

It's funny how one win changes the tone of almost everyone here. icon_lol.gif

It's not one win. It's thinking about it in terms. Koetter has had control over the offense  maybe he'll be forced to hire an OC and QB coach  

koetter and smith are being paid like HCs. Letting go of both of them means you're paying lovie smith, koetter, mike smith to do nothing. 

Koetter did win 9 games last year. He may be asked to make some changes to the staff and give one more go. 

I do believe we need someone over seeing the organization an operations role to hire our next GM. 

Licht has been bad and his " no risk it no biscuit" decision making has done him in. He's easily a scapegoat. No contract. 

I think there are a lot of questions about Koetter the head coach.First, the head coach is responsible for his coaching staff.   Mike Smith has been below average for 2 seasons.   Talent is an issue,  but is it anymore of an issue playing passive zone coverage with a questionable pass rush?    The whole Jack Smith situation I don't get and put equal blame on everyone.

Koetter has not been great at time management and game situation management.   Not going for the field goal at the end of the 1st half in Arizona really bit him as an example.   The organization needed to suspend Evans before the league did, or at the very least sit him down during the Saints game.   Again, organizational failure which he is part of that equation.

What I see from Koetter right now is his bark is bigger then his bite.  He has 7 games to show more as a head coach.  IMO, right now he looks like a coordinator over his head with all the duties of being the head coach of the team, not just the offense.

49 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

What I see from Koetter right now is his bark is bigger then his bite.  He has 7 games to show more as a head coach.  IMO, right now he looks like a coordinator over his head with all the duties of being the head coach of the team, not just the offense.

And it's funny because he was a head coach at the college level, if I remember correctly. So he has experience being the head honcho.

He's talked (more than once) about how he can't possibly sit in on every meeting he wants. Creating game plans cuts into that time even more.

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

koetter and smith are being paid like HCs. Letting go of both of them means you're paying lovie smith, koetter, mike smith to do nothing. 

Weren't we paying Schiano, Lovie, and Raheem all at the same time?

I don't really think the Glazers care much about that.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

And it's funny because he was a head coach at the college level, if I remember correctly. So he has experience being the head honcho.

He's talked (more than once) about how he can't possibly sit in on every meeting he wants. Creating game plans cuts into that time even more.

Yes he was head coach at Arizona State.  The biggest problem for Koetter is Mike Smith has let him down.  Gruden/Kiffin had a similar working relationship and it worked out fine.  Today McVey/Phillips works.  The other big problem for Koetter is they haven't run the ball worth a damn in 2 years.  And he is very responsible with the LG tandem and unwavering support of the LT who quite frankly has under achieved.

I like Koetter too, but he needs to have his defense show up this week in Miami would help his cause.  Atlanta twice, panthers, lions and Saints once, that s a tall order for a defense that has taken soft zone coverage to a new level.  They haven' t changed the oline yet, which makes me believe status quo will continue.  I get trusting the process, but if you can' self evaluate and see where the process isn' working, you are probably going to fail. I wish Koetter luck, but I still feel he is on very this ice.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Yes he was head coach at Arizona State.  The biggest problem for Koetter is Mike Smith has let him down.  Gruden/Kiffin had a similar working relationship and it worked out fine.  Today McVey/Phillips works.  The other big problem for Koetter is they haven't run the ball worth a damn in 2 years.  And he is very responsible with the LG tandem and unwavering support of the LT who quite frankly has under achieved.

I like Koetter too, but he needs to have his defense show up this week in Miami would help his cause.  Atlanta twice, panthers, lions and Saints once, that s a tall order for a defense that has taken soft zone coverage to a new level.  They haven' t changed the oline yet, which makes me believe status quo will continue.  I get trusting the process, but if you can' self evaluate and see where the process isn' working, you are probably going to fail. I wish Koetter luck, but I still feel he is on very this ice.

Koetter is the blame. He assumed Smith and Sweezy were going to make this team into a good run team. These guys are average starters at best and we need to move on from them. The lack of foresight on both sides of the ball is hindering us.

57 minutes ago, indifference said:

Koetter is the blame. He assumed Smith and Sweezy were going to make this team into a good run team. These guys are average starters at best and we need to move on from them. The lack of foresight on both sides of the ball is hindering us.

Sweezy was a badass run blocker in Seattle. He just sucked as a pass blocker. There was no reason to think that wouldn't continue here.

The Donovan Smith infatuation has gone for far too long though.

40 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Sweezy was a badass run blocker in Seattle. He just sucked as a pass blocker. There was no reason to think that wouldn't continue here.

The Donovan Smith infatuation has gone for far too long though.

SEA fans were calling him overpaid for a reason. His run blocking so far has been subpar and not worth the money we paid. Maybe that back issue has affected his ability but that's just speculation on my end. Either way, if we could cut ties and start over I'm for it.

7 minutes ago, indifference said:

SEA fans were calling him overpaid for a reason. His run blocking so far has been subpar and not worth the money we paid. Maybe that back issue has affected his ability but that's just speculation on my end. Either way, if we could cut ties and start over I'm for it.

We'd save $4M, but still pay him almost $2M. We're looking at ~$55M in cap space. We don't really need to create another hole just for the sake of it.

Archived